Amazing and Challenging Jewel Cruise

www3traveler

Just returned from the Jewel's 9-16 October cruise. Going in the cruise I knew two things:(1) I would have to wear a very large knee brace which caused some mobility issues and dress code issues and (2) We would not be going to Mazatlan and would be in Puerto Vallarta overnight for repairs for the anizpod.

Because of my knee brace, I had to wear shorts all week but was still able to eat wherever I wanted. Several passengers got angry because I was allowed in a couple of dining room in shorts when they were not. The brace did not allow me to do as much as I would have liked but I still had a wonderful cruise and so did my friends from Northern California.

I have to commend both Captain Pelle Fredriksson and Hotel Director Steven Jacobsen for being so outstanding and amazing on this cruise. I had not sailed with Captain Fredriksson before this cruise and I was impressed- WOW!! Very much a description of an "Officer and a Gentleman".

The repairs to the azipod took about 8 1/2 hours longer than estimated. As a result, we left Puerto Vallarta at about 1 A.M. Friday morning instead of 3 P.M. Thursday afternoon returning directly to Los Angeles instead of going to Cabo San Lucas first. As passengers awoke on Friday morning and discovered that we were not going to Cabo, some stormed the lobby screaming at everyone in a uniform. It was not until almost noon before the chaos in the lobby seemed to calm down. Captain Pelle, HD Steven, and other Senior Hotel Officers were verbally abused to say nothing about what what the kids behind the Guest Services Desk. The Security staff had to intervene in several cases.

All worked in the end. My guess would be that some passengers were satisfied with compensation offered and others were not. I certainly was satisfied. Would I cruise on The Jewel again- OF COURSE!!!

just happened upon this post...people amaze me at how upset they can get about petty things...one your being allowed to dine in shorts because you had a large knee brace and they weren't allowed...how much is it to ask not to wear shorts in the dining room if you are able to? I am certain that you would have preferred to have to wear long pants as opposed to dealing with a knee brace

then, the fact that a port was missed because repairs were necessary...it clearly states when you book a cruise that there is no guarantee you will go to the ports listed...the reason for skipping Cabo sounds reasonable to me, and I see no reason why the passengers got that angry over something like that...people need to just relax and be happy that they are able to enjoy a cruise and make the most of a minor inconvenience...you mentioned that some type of "compensation" was offered at least...may I ask what the compensation was? I am just curious

just happened upon this post...people amaze me at how upset they can get about petty things...one your being allowed to dine in shorts because you had a large knee brace and they weren't allowed...how much is it to ask not to wear shorts in the dining room if you are able to? I am certain that you would have preferred to have to wear long pants as opposed to dealing with a knee brace

then, the fact that a port was missed because repairs were necessary...it clearly states when you book a cruise that there is no guarantee you will go to the ports listed...the reason for skipping Cabo sounds reasonable to me, and I see no reason why the passengers got that angry over something like that...people need to just relax and be happy that they are able to enjoy a cruise and make the most of a minor inconvenience...you mentioned that some type of "compensation" was offered at least...may I ask what the compensation was? I am just curious

I will not go into the details but compensation came in to 2 parts: some taking off your final at the end of the cruise and the equal amount as a cruise credit for a future (not currently booked) cruise.

I thought it was fair others probably not. We still were on a ship, not home or working out of the storm systems along both the Pacific Coastline and the Atlantic Coastline.

Thanks for your review. Sorry about having to wear the knee brace and really sorry for the unsympathetic passengers who couldn't see you had a knee brace on and complained about you wearing shorts. Wonder what they would have done if they were in your situation...buy long pants 10 sizes to big to accommodate the brace!!!

Did people actually say something to you about your shorts? How do you know they were angry? That seems so crazy.... would they actually want to wear a knee brace? Class seems to be a disappearing virtue.

Sounds like you made the best of a disappointing situation. I love Cabo and would have been very sad about not going there - but maybe not if I were in a knee brace as getting around Cabo is not easy ;)

I am always amazed at folks misplaced anger....as if the captain skipped the port intentionally, for no reason. The safety of the passengers is paramount and can not be 2nd to anything! People who storm the lobby and yell at whoever wears a uniform need to learn that there are other ways to handle your frustration....there are always a few on board any cruise!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Did people actually say something to you about your shorts? How do you know they were angry? That seems so crazy.... would they actually want to wear a knee brace? Class seems to be a disappearing virtue.

Sounds like you made the best of a disappointing situation. I love Cabo and would have been very sad about not going there - but maybe not if I were in a knee brace as getting around Cabo is not easy ;)

Yes, a few came directly to me and the Restaurant Manager (who is a dear friend) had to deal with the issue all week.

I too love Cabo, but I not intended to go ashore. I was not going to try to get into a lifeboat for the tendering process.

Have to agree was on the same cruise and it did get very ugly after the announcement that we were not going to Cabo. The Capt. and all of his staff bent over backwards to defuse the situation. They all need to be commended for staying calm and being there to answer any questions..very sad that many people wanted refunds on the service charges that go to all the staff that work very hard to make a cruise wonderful..the service and food were top shelf all around and yes people that got so petty about the shorts because of your brace must be people that love to complain "why do some go on cruises and then complain the whole time"