Staggered Check In - HELP

amberjeannette

Check the top right corner of my posts. I've been on this group since October 2006....10 years with this group and many more years of cruising!! So not really sure why you say I'm new. ??

Possibly because staggered check in has been talked about ad nauseam on this site?

Been booked for Carnival Sunshine (out of Charleston) for over a year now. Cruise in November. Just checked in recently when I received an email. Normally I am in no rush to check in. When I did, I discovered this new (to me) staggered check in process. Check in starts at 3pm but the earliest available was 6:00-6:30pm. I have 2 young children and their bedtime is soon thereafter. I called into Carnival and explained my scenario. We are basically gonna lose a whole day, prob miss dinner, etc etc because of this late check in. They would not make an exception. I have cruised with Carnival many many times but this new "rule" is not sitting well with me under these particular circumstances. This will prob be our last time with Carnival. When did all this start? We are arriving in Charleston at 3pm as normally scheduled...so I'm gonna have to wait in the car/parking lot with 2 toddlers for 3 hours???!! I'm so NOT happy. Any advice? Thanks.

You have yourself to blame.

Give up folks. The OP is determined to be angry about this, even making a rude reply to my sympathetic post. She companined because people comment about her being new (18 posts=new) as if something is wrong with being new and goes on to say she hasn't "stalked" the boards recent enough to know about staggered check-in.

I still wish her a happy cruise and wish I were on the same ship as I would love to entertain the kids for a while so she can chill.

I'm from Charleston and although the aquarium is nice I'd vote for the children's museum. It's smallish, but there is more of an opportunity for your kids to play and burn off some steam at the museum.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm also from Charleston - and note that the Aquarium can easily be coupled with Fort Sumter (same location), plus it is close to the port - no need to deal with driving downtown .... (Not sure whether Children's museum has dedicated and/or free parking, but that would be another consideration.)

but either one would be better than sitting in the parking lot!

It does hurt to ask. You put the representative in a position requiring confrontation and are suggesting that nagging is an acceptable behavior. You leave the representative with a pit in their belly while they wait for a complaint to be filled for their attitude for doing their job

Good grief! If a simple request like OP's cannot be handled with a polite "no ma'am, i'm sorry, we cannot make an exception", that rep is in the wrong job! What is next, "safe spaces"?

^^^^^......so why the fuss about the staggered check in time? The family would have to be at muster regardless. With it being a later departure (hope she knew that much) muster will be at around 8 or 9ish anyway,disrupting bedtime.

Maybe I'm missing something (probably am) but I just don't get her frustration!!!

Yes, this is what I don't get at all. A 3pm start to check-in means 3:30-7ish boarding and that means AT LEAST an 8pm muster, probably closer to 9pm-10pm. I have seen it be 10pm after an open-seating dinner in situations such as this... especially when the delayed boarding was not an emergency but scheduled from the start (i.e. the cruise isn't boarding "late" per se -- it was a scheduled late boarding).

And, of course, everyone, including the kids must attend muster. So I'm not sure what OP planned to do about this issue.

WOW...just...WOW!! Some of these responses are mind blowing and downright rude. What did I do to you? I will never come back here for anything ever again. This is unbelievable. Why would you even make a comment like that??!!

All the person did was point out that you were to blame, and you were, for not understanding you needed to select a check-in time and choosing a late cruise that doesn't suit you. If you ask me, you are the one being rude, and you came in with an angry bluster. If you'd came in understanding that the situation was of your own making, you would receive a lot of more sympathetic responses (I know that's what keeps me from feeling much sympathy for you, since you don't seem to understand you caused your own problem by selecting a late cruise and then not checking in until very late, thus getting the undesirable spots).

Another example of a poor policy by carnival degrading its guests experience. Yet some here rush to defend and can't even say what's so great about this new absurd rule. All so carnival can pay less port staff.

they check in the same amount of people in the same amount of time onto the same ship...OK, I'll ask.

How do they save money on port staff?

they check in the same amount of people in the same amount of time onto the same ship...OK, I'll ask.

How do they save money on port staff?

The way I see it is that they wouldn't need so many check in agents upstairs because all you would be doing is getting your Passport scanned/picture taken right at the entrance as you do now before you go through the metal detectors and bags through the X-ray.

So you could eliminate all but a couple people at the main desk (the ones that gave you your S&S card). The few agents up there could handle any issues such as if you didn't do online check in, etc. Essentially a whole step is being eliminated so it will be faster. No need to stand in another line so not as many employees are needed.

The way I see it is that they wouldn't need so many check in agents upstairs because all you would be doing is getting your Passport scanned/picture taken right at the entrance as you do now before you go through the metal detectors and bags through the X-ray.

So you could eliminate all but a couple people at the main desk (the ones that gave you your S&S card). The few agents up there could handle any issues such as if you didn't do online check in, etc. Essentially a whole step is being eliminated so it will be faster. No need to stand in another line so not as many employees are needed.

This is a different thing than the policy being discussed here, though, right? I don't think staggered check-in actually eliminates positions (the new S&S test may, but so far, it seems to be a very tentative test only on the Splendor that has only existed for 1 or 2 sailings).

I do agree the S&S is about efficiency and potentially less port-side staff. I think staggered check-in was simply because too many were ignoring the letters with suggested times before and everyone was cramming in like sardines, trying to be first, making check-in untenable at some ports (I think some ports probably handled it fine, due to reports and my own experience, but likely it's easier for Carnival to extend it to more and more ports because it's simply better to do things as much the same everywhere as possible). Even for a rule-follower like me, it was easy to ignore the suggested times because they weren't self-selected and felt unfair to be randomly assigned, but this process makes it a bit fair.

I complained and fretted about the IDEA of staggered check-in when it was first announced, but I think it honestly is a good idea (it seems to still need some working out at some of the ports -- I've heard NOLA can be a particular mess) to control the crowd. And certainly better than a mandatory ASSIGNED time; you get to pick your check-in time, and it's relatively first-come, first-serve, with some options.

As to the new S&S thing, the more I hear about it, the less I hate it, though my first reaction to that was "Oh, heck no!" as well. (I hate change as much as anyone so I understand.) And that, at the very least, I think you could suggest saves Carnival staff perhaps, but I cannot see how staggered check-in necessarily does. I don't believe there's any less staff at those ports than there was before.

This is a different thing than the policy being discussed here, though, right? I don't think staggered check-in actually eliminates positions (the new S&S test may, but so far, it seems to be a very tentative test only on the Splendor that has only existed for 1 or 2 sailings).

I do agree the S&S is about efficiency and potentially less port-side staff. I think staggered check-in was simply because too many were ignoring the letters with suggested times before and everyone was cramming in like sardines, trying to be first, making check-in untenable at some ports (I think some ports probably handled it fine, due to reports and my own experience, but likely it's easier for Carnival to extend it to more and more ports because it's simply better to do things as much the same everywhere as possible). Even for a rule-follower like me, it was easy to ignore the suggested times because they weren't self-selected and felt unfair to be randomly assigned, but this process makes it a bit fair.

I complained and fretted about the IDEA of staggered check-in when it was first announced, but I think it honestly is a good idea (it seems to still need some working out at some of the ports -- I've heard NOLA can be a particular mess) to control the crowd. And certainly better than a mandatory ASSIGNED time; you get to pick your check-in time, and it's relatively first-come, first-serve, with some options.

As to the new S&S thing, the more I hear about it, the less I hate it, though my first reaction to that was "Oh, heck no!" as well. (I hate change as much as anyone so I understand.) And that, at the very least, I think you could suggest saves Carnival staff perhaps, but I cannot see how staggered check-in necessarily does. I don't believe there's any less staff at those ports than there was before.

Yeah, you're right. I'm getting my threads confused. I think my brain is still on vacation [emoji1].

I don't think staggered check in by itself reduced staff. At least that wasn't my experience last Saturday.

The situation is entirely Carnivals making. Can't believe people are BLAMING op. Does no one here have any understanding or empathy of traveling with small kids. What is with the corporate white knighting. This is a terrible policy and it only exists for carnival to save money and force you to pay to bypass it.

Sorry OP this board is full of those who think the company can never make a mistake. I totally agree with you and am on your side. Now they can spend the afternoon attacking me instead of you :)

Edit: there are a handful of reasonable people too so if you don't feel like you are a corporate apologist don't be offended.

Edited by LMaxwell

The situation is entirely Carnivals making. Can't believe people are BLAMING op. Does no one here have any understanding or empathy of traveling with small kids. What is with the corporate white knighting. This is a terrible policy and it only exists for carnival to save money and force you to pay to bypass it.

Sorry OP this board is full of those who think the company can never make a mistake. I totally agree with you and am on your side. Now they can spend the afternoon attacking me instead of you :)

Edit: there are a handful of reasonable people too so if you don't feel like you are a corporate apologist don't be offended.

Do you deny that OP easily could've gotten a more preferred boarding time by checking in early?

Though I'd also say, I detest the idea that the comfort of someone with small children is more important than anyone else's. Having children is a personal choice, not like a disability or issue that should be accommodated by society or corporate entities.

I have sympathy for parents who do their best and face struggles but not for those who feel entitled to special treatment because they've selected to have children. OP isn't selflessly raising destitute orphans out of the goodness of her heart. She had children and she chose a cruise time not well suited to their schedule, then compounded that by not checking in early and getting a preferred time.

Carnival's policy may not suit her or someone else, and I think people can dislike it if they want, but they've not created her situation. She'd be in the first boarding slot if she had checked in early and paid attention.

Do you deny that OP easily could've gotten a more preferred boarding time by checking in early?

Though I'd also say, I detest the idea that the comfort of someone with small children is more important than anyone else's. Having children is a personal choice, not like a disability or issue that should be accommodated by society or corporate entities.

I have sympathy for parents who do their best and face struggles but not for those who feel entitled to special treatment because they've selected to have children. OP isn't selflessly raising destitute orphans out of the goodness of her heart. She had children and she chose a cruise time not well suited to their schedule, then compounded that by not checking in early and getting a preferred time.

Carnival's policy may not suit her or someone else, and I think people can dislike it if they want, but they've not created her situation. She'd be in the first boarding slot if she had checked in early and paid attention.

Carnival created the system and if it is resulting in guests feeling aggrieved maybe Carnival should examine their system. We don't know at what point in the game OP did their check in. That said, this is not OP's "FAULT" as so many want to say. They are subjected to the system, which clearly is fine for those that get early check in, but doesn't work so well for those left with the scraps.

Do you deny that the system could be tweaked so that guests were happier?

But, once again, there are two issues here. One can debate whether or not this is a good policy. What cannot be debated is that this is the policy that Carnival cruisers are working with. So one can work with it or choose not to cruise Carnival.

This thread is about someone wanting to have the policy changed for them personally because they didn't check in early enough. This person booked last year - could most certainly have had their choice of check-in times.

Even if we all agree that this is a bad policy, it doesn't change the fact that this cruiser is at fault for not knowing what the policies are (and not what one wishes they were).

Carnival created the system and if it is resulting in guests feeling aggrieved maybe Carnival should examine their system. We don't know at what point in the game OP did their check in. That said, this is not OP's "FAULT" as so many want to say. They are subjected to the system, which clearly is fine for those that get early check in, but doesn't work so well for those left with the scraps.

But we do. She said she's been booked for over a year for her cruise in November, and she just recently did her check-in. I would take that to mean this month, or she might have posted her dilemma earlier.

I'm quite sure the system could be tweaked, and it still may in the future. It hasn't even rolled out to every port and every ship yet.

Edited by ScottsSweetie

This thread is about someone wanting to have the policy changed for them personally because they didn't check in early enough. This person booked last year - could most certainly have had their choice of check-in times.

I don't see it quite that way. Yes, they are asking for accommodation due to their circumstance, but I still don't see it as their fault. Didn't staggered check in just recently role out at this port? Was it available to select when they booked? I don't know the answer to that. Did Carnival inform them of the policy change? I don't know that either.

What I do know is that the bottom line is a paying guest is not happy with the policy. therefore the policy should be examined. This isn't the only frustrated guest. if it were, I'd say it is an abberation.

Would you feel stressed out if you thought you might miss dinner with small kids in tow? I might feel stressed. I have some empathy for OP. I won't blame them for Carnivals less than stellar system. Those saying the system is great are those not subjected to being forced with late times. No wonder they see no issue.

But we do. She said she's been booked for over a year for her cruise in November, and she just recently did her check-in. I would take that to mean this month, or she might have posted her dilemma earlier.

I'm quite sure the system could be tweaked, and it still may in the future. It hasn't even rolled out to every port and every ship yet.

If she had proper notification from Carnival could she have checked in sooner?

We can't assume OP had all the information and chose to do this to her family. Policies change and aren't always communicated well. You seem to be one of the more reasonable people here. If a customer is unhappy, you don't blame the customer, you look how to resolve the issue.

My next booked cruise I checked in and selected an appropriate slot. I knew about it because of this site. However, I was NEVER told by Carnival anything about a staggered check in. I have not received any communication after booking. According to some, my check in hasn't even opened yet. But I looked and there it was, so I selected. I give others the benefit of the doubt because this site and the info here is a very tiny fraction of the total cruising population as to be almost statistically insignificant.

Edited by LMaxwell

If she had proper notification from Carnival could she have checked in sooner?

We can't assume OP had all the information and chose to do this to her family. Policies change and aren't always communicated well. You seem to be one of the more reasonable people here. If a customer is unhappy, you don't blame the customer, you look how to resolve the issue.

On that part, I could not agree more. It goes right along with enforcing some of the rules some of the time on some of the ships.

I would certainly be stressed out if I were in this same situation. But I can guarantee that I would never have called and asked for an exception, as I wouldn't think I was the only one in that situation, and I would never expect an exception to be made for me.

I would also say that, since her next cruise after this one is when she turns Platinum, then she has seen many changes since she started cruising, and should have expected that there had been changes made since her last one (or at least been curious to see if there were changes). As I've said before, the only thing consistent with cruising is that they are always changing.

I don't see it quite that way. Yes, they are asking for accommodation due to their circumstance, but I still don't see it as their fault. Didn't staggered check in just recently role out at this port? Was it available to select when they booked? I don't know the answer to that. Did Carnival inform them of the policy change? I don't know that either.

What I do know is that the bottom line is a paying guest is not happy with the policy. therefore the policy should be examined. This isn't the only frustrated guest. if it were, I'd say it is an abberation.

Would you feel stressed out if you thought you might miss dinner with small kids in tow? I might feel stressed. I have some empathy for OP. I won't blame them for Carnivals less than stellar system. Those saying the system is great are those not subjected to being forced with late times. No wonder they see no issue.

Again, there are ways around it even if it requires a little more money. Transfers as we discussed earlier can be bought and then they can arrive anytime.

I would feel the exact same way if I got "stuck" with a later time. I would have no one to blame but myself and find something else to do before arriving at the terminal even if it meant paying for another night at the hotel so the kids could relax up until it's time to go. And yes I have 2 kids so I know what it's like to be a parent. Again, I would make it work no matter what. There are plenty of options.

I still say the system works and you will find more people happy with it vs not. I am pleased with this process and hope they don't cave into the sour grapes as it seems to benefit many more people than it upsets. You aren't going to please everyone, after all.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I too would be annoyed if I got stuck with a late boarding time. I might even call Carnival to see if they had any early check in times.

But ultimately it is my responsibility to research my vacation after spending so much money on it.

After that I would try and make the most of the long day in port. Visit something I've never seen before. You could even go see a movie, I don't think you have to sit in a car park for 3 hours.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I do know she waited, as it says so in the OP. She was unaware of the changes, despite being a user on this site and almost Platinum. So that's a lack of attention on her part, I'd suggest, though I agree she should receive email notification (as many have said they've received) if her port changed the check in process after she booked. That said, I think it's her job to be aware as well. But she said she waited until late to do her check in, as she's never been "in a hurry" to do so.

I also think working to refine the system is good, and I think they are doing that. As much as I wasn't thrilled at first, I think the system works and makes sense and should not be abandoned, though, as it benefits those who are prepared and on top of their responsibilities, rather than causing chaos for everyone, as everyone shows up en masse, making delays for all involved.

I absolutely think it is OP's fault she got a late check in. She could've checked in online earlier and gotten a time she preferred. She could've known that by the smallest bit of attention and research. That said, I don't think neither she, nor you, need to like this change, but I do think there's some evidence it often works well (some tweaks needed at certain ports, to make sure they're sorting people properly into queues, it seems, from reports, but that is different than your criticism).

I recently booked 2 Carnival cruises for 2017 out of Galveston. Within 24 hours of each booking I received a notice about choosing a check in time and a short explanation of staggered check in. I logged in and and chose the 10:30 -11:00am slot for the January cruise, which works well for us driving in the morning of the cruise.

They have not yet loaded the check in times for the October 2017 cruise, but I will check back regularly.