Trip report (Cruise/road trip) Majesty 10/17 (2nd ship back to to Coco Cay)

BillOh

WARNING, LOTS OF NON-CRUISE RELATED DETAILS FOLLOW!

This trip report is about our “last minute” decision to do a road trip cruise. I am going to add a bit of detail about the decision to cruise and what cruise we booked, the planning, the road trip itself, and finally the cruise! There will be some things you don’t want to read or see in a review, but I will write in paragraph form so you can easily skip ahead.

As we hit the last weeks of summer and about 100 days since our last cruise we decided to do a last minute cruise/road trip. It’s been a busy hectic summer doing more babysitting of grandchildren than usual. This is not a bad thing, but there wasn’t much time for any planned summer vacations after our annual spring cruise.

I haven’t had much alone time with my wife in the past 3 months or so I decided a road trip/cruise would be nice. We kind of thought a 3,4,or 5 day would be nice with the amount of 2016 vacation we had left. I considered Bayonne and Anthem, but the prices were a little high for a 2nd cruise for the year. We had a good time on a 5 day roadtrip/cruise from our Columbus, Ohio home to Tampa back in 2012 with our friends. That was our first Jewel/Radiance class experience. But there are no RC ships in Tampa in August/September.

In 2015 we took our first cruise out of Port Canaveral. It was a pleasant experience on Freedom. Having been a Yankee who has driven to Disney world many times, I thought this might be a good driving destination. Looking at Port Canaveral I instantly wished it was 2015 again so we could go on Enchantment as we have not been on a Vision class ship. Ironically, the 3rd time I was on Majesty I said, “Ok, I’m done with this ship.” But going with the saying, “A bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work”, we picked Majesty for the 4th time. Our Columbus to Tampa road trip was almost exactly 1000 miles. The trip to Port Canaveral was about the same, depending on which route we take.

ourroute.jpg

With the decision to cruise out of Port Canaveral on a short cruise made, we were cruising Majesty for the 4th time! The next decision was “when?” I thought right after kids go back to school might be a good time. I started looking at an early September cruise and noticed that for the first 2 weeks of the month the 4 day cruises were much cheaper than I had seen in quite a while. We picked Sept 12th and saw we could get a 4 day cruise for under $200. (not including all the charges).

Being a roll call fanatic I immediately started a roll call for that sailing after finding out there wasn’t one. Soon a couple of people joined me. I kept a price watch and didn’t book until we verified we could both get the time off and there were no other schedule conflicts. My wife and I talked it over one evening and I waited till the next day to book the cruise. It would have been our first booking inside of the final payment date so I was being careful.

It turns out ee dodged a bullet with that date, I planned on booking during my 10am break time at work. At 9:30am my wife called and said she had a commitment for the weekend our drive would have started. That date was out! That night we got all our schedules together and looked at the current pricing. We finally picked Oct 17th the 4 day cruise at $299 per person. Not the great deal that Sept 12th was at the time. I booked it, but now we had 75 days to wait! But it least it was less than the 275 till our next Adventure cruise.

In looking at the upcoming road trip, I figured it would be around 14 hours, 1000 miles needing around $170-$200 of gasoline. This would be cheaper than any airfare for two. We were looking forward to the drive almost as much as the cruise. This should be peak fall colors for much of the ride. I also started saving my grocery related gas awards so we could depart on one free tank of gas, reducing our expenditure by about $35.

Getting back to cruise planning again, I normally try to scuba drive once a year, but I had an ear infection on our Spring cruise this year and had to cancel my dives. With that in mind I thought, I could handle another Majesty cruise if it meant being able to dive this year. Majesty and diving does have a small tie with me. When we first cruised Majesty in 2007 we were at Coco Cay and I had a great time snorkeling there. As I was coming out of the water one time I saw a diving group going into the water there. This put the early seeds of learning to dive into my head. (Something I wouldn’t act on until 2011.)

Even better snorkeling during my 2010 visit finally got me to start my diving certification. I was certified and had a couple of dives done when friends invited us to join them on Majesty in 2013. I went along on that cruise for Key West and to dive at Coco Cay. The night before we arrived in Coco Cay that year I got a call in our room saying my diving excursion was canceled because of “rough conditions”. I was disapointed of course, and also worried about making the port.

The next day the weather was beautiful and we were 3 for 3 at making it to CoCo Cay. People snorkeled that day as well as the wave runner tours went off with no problem. I seriously doubt scuba was canceled because of water conditions. I suspect I was the only one on the small ship who signed up, so it was canceled. I kept that in mind picking Majesty and Coco Cay this time. I booked the dive in Coco Cay which was our first stop, but debated on booking the dive in Nassau that I had to cancel last May. I didn’t want to book dives in both ports, but I had to consider it as a backup in case my Coco Cay dive was canceled.

A couple of weeks after our initial booking, I did a price check and it indeed has dropped considerably. A quick call to C&A moved me from an inside deck 2, to an oceanview deck 6. I got cabin 6094. We have done inside, oceanview, and JS on Majesty. For this cruise it didn’t matter, but I kept hoping for an upgrade or upsell. I was kind of hoping for an upsell to the grand suite to surpise my wife. I kept checking to see if it was available but for weeks before the cruise only insides were available.We ended up sticking with our deck 6 Ocean view and I would find later, this was a really good location.

This is my 3rd cruise out of 13 that will occur near the end of the “normal” hurricane season. So far we have been very lucky with great weather. Our Majesty cruise in 2010 and 2013 had the flattest seas I’ve seen on any cruise. I started watching a few named storms on the National Hurrican Center’s site a month ahead of time. The number of reportable storms was higher in late August and was a little less in September, but not having that much experience with sailing in Oct, I kept watch. With a few minor storms causing minor issues, suddenly Hurricane Matthew popped up and caused a lot of concern with ships and people on land over a large area. It would end up causing us some concern with out trip, but after Matthew things started looking up. It did appear we would be one of the first cruises back to Coco Cay after the storm and our hotel and pre cruise restaurants survived.

Well, the early reports were that there was damage to both Fish Lips and Grills. Fishlips had damage to their tiki bar and upstairs area, and it ended up being closed during our visit.

By Sat Oct 15th the Atlantic was quiet and our weather for the drive from Ohio to Florida was perfect. We loaded up the car and were underway right on schedule. We had a warmer and wetter fall up to this point and there was very little sign of fall colors, so that was the biggest disappointment of the trip. :D Traffic, with the exception of a stretch of I77 north of Charlotte was very light. Somewhere in that area I did see roof damage on a hotel near the highway.

This was far from the coast and it was possible that this damage was something else It would be well into I-26 almost to I-95 before I saw any real hurricane damage. The highway in this part of the state is very heavily lined with trees and not much to see on good days, but on this day we saw many down trees as well as evidence of debris clean up still going on, but the drive was good. Even though I95 in SC is still at least 100 miles inland I have to bet this stretch of highway was scary during the storm.

About 3pm I was confident we would make Savannah and I began to IM my new cousin and arranged to have dinner with her family. We arrived at the Travelodge around 6pm, checked into the hotel, but went right over to a nearby restaurant and had a wonderful dinner with my new found family. I know this part is not cruise related, but at 57, I didn’t expect to find new family. My “new cousin” is about the age of my daughter and has a wonderful family who had quite a story of getting through Hurricane Matthew.

After dinner we went back to the Travelodge and walked into our room and the mildew smell was overpowering. There was no sign of water damage to the hotel, but the room stunk so bad as to make breathing in the room difficult. I have no idea if this was normal for this location or if this was a hurricane related problem. The hotel was full of out of town workers who were helping locals with storm damage. They said their rooms smelled of mildew, but not terribly so. Ours was the last room available and they refunded our money and found us a nearby hotel that was acceptable. That hotel was in good shape. Below is the only damage they had not yet cleaned up.

damage2.jpg

We had a relaxing breakfast and hit the road by 8am. My first major thought for the day was whether or not to go straight through I95 in Jacksonville or to take their outer-belt. Given it was Sunday and I have never driven through there, we went right through town. It is a very nice looking downtown area. There was a lot of road construction, but on a Sunday it was manageable. But before getting to Jacksonville, we had to cross the border. There is a law effecting Yankee tourists visiting Florida by car that requires you to take a selfie at the border sign. We complied.

flaborder.jpg

While the whole trip has been pretty stress free at this point I do have to mention the traffic from Jacksonville to around the Daytona Beach area. I’ve heard of many Floridians complaing about what slow drivers the elderly snow birds are. By the way, we did see plenty of evidence of the snowbird migration with dozens of RV’s and trailers pulling campers heading south. But this section of highway was 3 lanes going each direction and had a speed limit of 70. For this stretch of highway I did see a lot more “aggressive driving” than I expected for a Sunday morning. I commute daily around the North outer-belt of Columbus and call myself a “Outer-belt warrior” as driving to work can be a battle most days. That was the case here. I saw at dozen cars doing in excess of 90-100 mph darting in an out of lanes trying to get down the road just a little faster. I noted the same phenomena on my return trip in this area.

We arrived at the Radison on Astronaut way about noon. They verified our reservation, a pool side room with the early shuttle to the port, and parking for 5 nights. The clerk did a great job of explaining the parking process then told us our room wasn’t ready yet. He took our phone number and told us he would call us when it was ready. Back in 2015 we enjoyed killing time waiting for our room at the pool bar. And this time was no different, It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed a couple of drinks and appetizers

For the 2nd cruise in a row, we witnessed a minor incident between hotel security and locals. A couple of 20 something girls were asked to leave the pool area as it was for guests only. They came to the bar and ordered drinks. They knew the bartender so they griped to him that they spend a lot of money at the bar and should be able to sit by the pool. (Not my issue, I continued my mega relaxation attitude enhanced by my friends at Coors.)

1stdrink.jpg

Edited by BillOh

We did get that call about our room 45 minutes later while walking through a local souvenir shop. Our room was 2 doors away from our previous room and maybe a 50 yard walk from the parking lot with our bags. We were very happy with the room and the sleep number bed again.

I checked cruise critic again and also called Fishlips to verify they weren’t open, so off to Grills to watch the Sunday sailaways. I had also talk ed with a member on the Oct 16th Freedom cruise and promised to take a photo of her and her husband on the back of Freedom. But from grills I would be shooting upward a lot more than I would from Fishlips. Its about a 3 minute drive to Grills and we would a parking spot and walked in. We were told the Tiki bar area was open seating and we found a table right behind Freedom!

I’m not a Seafood person, but there are a lot of things on Grills menu that looked good. I ended up ordering a ½ rack of ribs with a 1 pound adder of crab legs for my wife. Both were excellent along with my 2nd and 3rd Coors light of the day and my wife enjoyed a recommended margarita from our excellent waitress.

Checking cruise crtic again I posted the pic below announcing I was on the scene!

freedomfromgrills.jpg

I had already known local CC member John had come through the storm ok. He wondered what the crane was there for, noting it wasn’t normally there. At first I speculated incorrectly it was for Flowrider parts. I also checked the Freedom Roll Call and learned that their departure was being delayed for 2 hours for an “underwater inspection” It was then I noticed the dive truck and divers coming out from under her aft.

Edited by BillOh

For about an hour, we watched divers working under Freedom's aft end, Eventually they brought up these two pieces like this one from under water. They loaded these two pieces onto a flat bed truck and drove off.

stuffromunderfreedom.jpg

Oh, while sitting at Grills, thoroughly enjoying ourselves, I took a photo of this damage to Grill's dock/observation deck caused by, reportedly a break away tub boat during the hurricane.

grillsdamage.jpg

I think we waited till nearly 6pm and gave up on Freedom leaving. Carnival Valor was also there, but she has just undergone a revitalization, according to their roll call, and she hadn't left yet. Back to our hotel without seeing any departure. I kept watching the port webcam PZTV and finally saw Freedom was gone by around 7 pm.

Edited by BillOh

Eventually they brought up these two pieces like this one from under water. They loaded these two pieces onto a flat bed truck and drove off.

W T F - the ship has extra pieces that big that they can sail without?

Edited by Biker19

W T F - the ship has extra pieces that big that they can sail without?

Well, I can only say as of around 5:30 pm they hauled away these two parts, I don't know if they brought new ones in and installed them after we left, but I think the ship was gone when I checked the webcam at 7:30

When we got back to the Radisson, we moved our car over to the cruise parking area that was perhaps another 200 yards further way from our room so it was in place for our cruise. In the morning we did the hotel’s precruise breakfast buffet which is about what you would expect and I think we ate a little more than we should of, which effected my boarding day just a little. We took our bags out to the lobby around 10:15 and the shuttle to the Disney ship had just left. I had to laugh here just a little , some woman who had a reservation for for the 10:15 shuttle came out with her family about 10:20 and missed that shuttle and had to wait for the next one. Boy did she tear into that poor hotel employee. I said, to my wife, loud enough for that lady to hear, “If I had a 10:15 reservation, I would be here at 10:15.” I of course had a 10:30 reservation. By 10:35 we were on the shuttle and on our way to the terminal.

ourbags.jpg

Since our bags were properly tagged we were able to jump off the shuttle and head right into the terminal. I would say we were among the first 100 people to enter the terminal. At the first security stop we ran into a very minor problem. We had renewed our passports before our cruise last May and had used them to check in at Port Everglades for Oasis. But apparently we never signed our new passports. But the PE security never caught that. We were delayed here a minute or two. Our fault. Checkin for Diamond was quick and easy and since Majesty doesn’t have that many suites, we were invited to sit in the suite area so we were on board by 10:46 after boarding started at 10:45! We were still full from the hotel breakfast so we decided to go directly to the pool and hang out there. We elected to enjoy the beautiful day pool side until our room was ready totally bypassing the Windjammer until after checking out our room. The WJ is usually empty when you get on as early as we did, but this time we waited!

The first thing I noticed about the pool deck was the addition of the one water slide and kids play area along with the big TV screen. I know this has been around a while, but we hadn’t been on Majesty since 2013.

newpooldeck.jpg

I did notice something new about the main pool deck, my wife is sitting in the front row on the lounger in the picture below. These are newer loungers and I like them a lot more than the loungers I’m used to on all the other cruises I can remember. Notice they are a mesh seat and not the straps that cover most of Royals loungers, these are much more comfortable. These new loungers were on the pool deck only and the original ones were up on deck 12. I hope these new loungers become the cruise line standard. I'll have to watch reviews of newer ships more closely as I did enjoy the comfort of these a lot.

mainpool.jpg

We hung around the pool deck till 1pm and went to our room 6094. I ended up loving this location. It was behind the elevators mid ship on deck 6, but there are only 3 rooms on that hallway so hallway traffic was non-existent. We could come around the corner and have 4 steps in the Centrum. Very convenient. Once we did hit the Centrum I did see the sign below pushing those over priced arch supports that I first saw on Jewel back in 2012. My wife said I sounded too stern when I replied “absolutely not” when asked if I wanted a foot analysis.

archsupports.jpg

I had only seen this is the fitness center on prior ships, this was the first time I saw it pushed in a main public part of the ship. Our room was small, of course, having sailed Majesty 3 previous times I knew what to expect, but having just come off a D1 on Oasis and a JS on Freedom, it was a little bit of a shock to the system.

It may seem petty, but the only time the small size of the room bugged me was when I tried to charge my GOPRO, my regular camera, or our cell phones, this outlet was at the desk right below the wall mounted phone. Being a over sized uncoordinated oaf with no depth perception, I knocked that phone receiver off the phone at least 10 times. Otherwise, for a 4 day cruise our cabin was just fine and our cabin attendant did a great job.

charging.jpg

OK! The arch support sale, and the annoying phone location were the absolute worse things about the ship this time! Its pretty much all praise from here on!

Edited by BillOh

Would you recommend Fishlips or Grills? Looks like Fishlips is open again and we were planning on going back there on Saturday. But Grills does seem to have a great view of Freedom!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

With one visit on each, I though the food was a little better at Grills. For watching the ships leave, I find Fishlip's upper level gives better visibility of the entire port an has more room for say a Roll call pre cruise dinner.

Next up on embarkation day was walking through the dining room and seeing where our table was. This caused a little bit of a disappointment. I am the last hold out for late traditional dining. I found our table was a table for 4 right behind a server workstation. Generally that makes for a less than relaxing dinner for me.

Sailaway occurred right on time and with Majesty only showing her tail to the port webcam and no group meetings planned we just watched sailaway from the bow on deck 12. I had never seen a Aida ship before. This one, I forget the name now, was doing a port stop in Canaveral. Lots of people waving to each other as the ships passed.

aida.jpg

Before our 8:30 seating we went to the welcome aboard show, where I saw CD Marc Walker for the first time. Most of the feedback I had seen here indicated I would like Marc, which I did. This was your usual entertaining show, but it started after first dinner seating and it ran well into 2nd seating. I miss the old days of two shows for both dinner groups. We left before the show ended and got to dinner within 2 minutes of the door opening.

Unfortunately the other couple at our table arrived before us. I say unfortunate because it was a single table for 4 people with 2 chair on either side. That couple chose to sit on opposite sides of the same table meaning we had to each sit right next to both of them. In every table for 4 I had like this couples usually sit on the same side of the table. So this was awkward to start. Now add in nobody spoke for a few minutes until the wait team came. They were an Asian couple and they spoke their native language to each other until the waiter did arrive. They did order in English and spoke clearly, so my wife decided to break the ice and got them talking. It turned out they were a 40's couple from Korea living in Chicago. Once the ice was broken they did talk and seemed pleasant enough. But they never returned to the MDR. Dinner that night for us was the usual first night menu. Food was good, but predictable and the service was excellent.

When we went back to the room I had a cancelation notice for my scuba dive and Coco Cay. :(. As soon as I could I went to the Explorations desk and booked a dive in Nassau.

Now for the end of day 1, a major improvement to Majesty! We are hot tub owners and we enjoy a soak in the evening before bed time. It is a great sleep aid. On our 3 previous cruises the ship closed the pool and all hot tubs around 10pm. With the big screen on the pool deck and them running late night movies they now keep the pool/hot tube open. I was a happy cruiser!

Oh, one last thing about the beds. Lots of talk lately about hard beds. Our bed did have the egg crate mattress topper on it without my asking for it. I talked to another first time cruiser who had a really hard bed and no topper.

Tomorrow, my return to Coco Cay, we were the 2nd ship to go there after Hurricane Matthew.

Love reading your review Bill! Great format. We were on Majesty a long time ago. Glad to hear you enjoyed her, and she is still thriving!! :D

We haven't been to Coco Cay in a long time. I would love to get back there someday. We usually end up going to Labadee, which we also love.

Edited by debshomespun

Great start to your review, Bill. I have been debating if we should book a cruise on Majesty whle she is based here in Port Canaveral, our home port. It would be nice to fit a quick getaway like you just did into our schedule

You had some intereting scenery during your dinner at Grills, watching the divers working on Freedom. I did see some video on our local news of the boats crashing into the dock at Grills. I'm glad it does not seem to affect their operation at all. We will have to try Grills at some point. We usually go to Fishlips because we like the view from their upper deck, and also the fact that the webcam is there. We were there this past Saturday. The downstairs and sports bar upstairs are now back open, but the upstairs deck probably will not re-open for another 2-3 months. They are working on it, they were installing new decking while we were there.

Those Aida ships are really cute! I like their smiles!

Sorry your dive at Coco Cay was canceled. I think you're right about the reason for the cancellation. I never saw anyone in the Coco Cay dive shop when we were there this past spring. I can't wait to hear about your dives in Nassau! :D

Tuesday morning I woke up before we arrived a Coco Cay and did a couple of quick miles on deck 12. I absolutely love a morning run on the top deck of a ship. When I woke my wife up we went to the Diamond breakfast on deck 4. It was great, or after 2 cruises with those imitation scrambled eggs on Freedom and Oasis, a simple thing like real scrambled eggs was a real thrill. :rolleyes:. I would confirm the next day the common folk did get real scrambled eggs in the Windjammer too! The Diamond Breakfast they let you order from a menu from which I ordered an Omelette and my wife ordered a friend egg with potatoes. You could also walk over to the small but well stocked buffet and find the usual things like bacon, and those real scrambled eggs! I got some extra fruit and bacon there. It was a good start to the day.

Having a dive scheduled at Coco Cay would have gotten us on the first tender, but it turns out the tenders were quick anyway. In our cabin I could look down and see the first tender arrive. We walked down and arrived as that first tender left and we got right on the 2nd one and sat for about 15 minutes till it left. The water was calm and getting on the tender was easy. I was now officially 4 for 4 at making it to Coco Cay.

The first thing I noticed when we stepped ashore was the Dive shack. I guess they are probably using it for storage, or an employee lounge now as I haven't seen it used for diving since 2010. ;)

nodiveagain.jpg

After enjoying a Cabana at Labadee in 2015 when it was ONLY $250 I decided to try the beach bed here at Coco Cay for $150. The website is confusing, so cruise critic is helpful here as well. The website will allow you to pay $150 each for the bed rental, but only one person needs to make the reservation. They let you bring up to 4 people. We were shown where to wait for a tram to go to "South Beach" area. It goes past the Waverunner area and then by other beach area that I think is on the NE corner of the island and then turns south into an area I hadn't been to before. They have made a nice beach area here.

When we arrived 2 of the beach beds on the north edge were already occupied so below is my wife Gina picking out the one she wanted.

beachbed.jpg

Given that a Cat 2 or 3? Hurricane had hit this island directly about a week before this area looked good. I could see a few shingles missing from the beach bar and the swim up bar was no where to be found. I did see a place where they dumped a bunch of broken branches, but the area looked really good. Gina picked bed 12 out of 13, so we were pretty much by ourselves most of the day. Below is the beach view looking north.

lookingnorth.jpg

Above you can see the water play area and the "public" beaches. Here is the view looking south. During the day we did walk all the way down exploring the coast.

lookingsputh.jpg

As you can probably see it was high tide when we arrived so we only had to step about 3 feet from our bed to be in the ocean. By 4pm that would be about 30 feet away. The beds were king sized with a heavy dense foam wrapped in a weatherproof plastic type of material. It was more comfortable than it sounds and you could wipe the sand off fairly easily. Two comfortable loungers and floating mats were provided. We brought towels from the ship, but they offered more if needed. The water was shallow for at least 100 yards, you could walk out in waste deep water for about 100 yards. Early in the day we could see local lobster fisherman working just about 100 yards off shore.

PICTURE OF FISHERMAN ON NEXT POST.

I did see some spearfishing going on, but later the day when the tide was low other people walked out and talked to these fisherman and saw their lobsters.

We were given 4 bottles of water and we used two of them all day, taking the other two back with us for our drive back to Ohio. On Labadee you get to go to the "enhanced lunch" area which is a minor step up from what every one else gets, but here you get to order from a limited menu and they deliver it to you. My wife chose the chicken tacos and I ordered a Jamacian burger of some sort. The food was good and we probably could have ordered more, but it was enough for us. We are both weight loss surgery people and can't eat that much, so this was well enough for us. Sorry no pictures of the food, I just didn't think of it.

One picture of the local fisherman fishing just off our beach most of the day.

lobster.jpg

Apparently Cruise Critic forum software counds emogees as pictures, so I had to move this pic to its own message.

Edited by BillOh

This is a good point to add that while I make fun of the lack of diving here at Coco Cay, on this day the cancellation of the diving was probably legit. The snorkeling on the south beach isn't the best when compared to the area they take the official tours, the water was still cloudy enough from the hurricane to make a dive less desirable. I'll say this time the cancellation is probably legit.

I want to go to Coco Cay and have a bed. They look Heavenly! I may have to book a quick cruise on Majesty just to use these. Much more private here than at Labadee.

It was fairly private, more so than the main beach and with a ship the side of Majesty vs Freedom even more so. Here is a pic I forgot to include.

bed2.jpg

As you can see this was taken a low tide.