Butlers, what services do they provide?

fastnloose

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I wouldn't know what to do with one.  don't need all that hassle!

No hassle involved. If you don’t want to use them, you don’t have to. We have never made great use of them but they are quite handy if you want a room service meal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 12:12 PM, jeanlyon said:

I wouldn't know what to do with one.  don't need all that hassle!

We have had butlers several times, on P&O and Cunard.  We never found anything we wanted them to do.  On one occasion, a butler apologised that we had not made use of him more.  In fact, the only things we used him for were to find more hangers for the wardrobe and to try and get the DVD player working, which he didn't manage, even when engineers were involved, so I suspect it was some problem in the cabin wiring.  Without a butler, I would have asked the cabin steward.

The root of the problem was that most of the things they do are things I am perfectly comfortable to do myself.  I see little point telephoning for them to come or waiting until they visit, to explain I'd like a booking in the restaurant, when I can as easily phone the restaurant myself, and in a far better position to decide if they say "There is no space at 7pm but we could fit you in at 8?"

For me, using a butler just added a layer of complication I did not need..

• Like 2

We used the butler most lunchtimes,  quite often ordered just a starter and occasionally a desert off the main menu, had it mainly on the balcony. Saves the bother of going to MDR especialy if you dont want full meal .  Very relaxing.

We are on Arvia next and to avoid chaos of bigger ship will use butler most lunchtimes. 

We had a suite on Britannia in 2018. The main thing that annoyed me was that the butler used to turn up just as I was stepping out of the shower! Otherwise we did not need him . He didn’t even bring our canapés each afternoon. Waste of space.

On 3/17/2024 at 10:34 AM, david63 said:

Again another who knows nothing about the kids clubs but I was under the impression that there can only be the number of children in any age group on board that the kids club can accommodate.

Not so I am afraid! I know Cunard is place per child these days. Below is from P&O webpage

Child registration

You can register each child 14 days ahead of your holiday at my.pocruises.com. You can book a session once on board. If there is a high demand for a session then we unfortunately cannot guarantee a place for every child.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:35 AM, WestonOne said:

We have had butlers several times, on P&O and Cunard.  We never found anything we wanted them to do.  On one occasion, a butler apologised that we had not made use of him more.  In fact, the only things we used him for were to find more hangers for the wardrobe and to try and get the DVD player working, which he didn't manage, even when engineers were involved, so I suspect it was some problem in the cabin wiring.  Without a butler, I would have asked the cabin steward.

The root of the problem was that most of the things they do are things I am perfectly comfortable to do myself.  I see little point telephoning for them to come or waiting until they visit, to explain I'd like a booking in the restaurant, when I can as easily phone the restaurant myself, and in a far better position to decide if they say "There is no space at 7pm but we could fit you in at 8?"

For me, using a butler just added a layer of complication I did not need..

So the butler didn't do it ?.🤣

• Haha 4