Just Off Liberty - A Few Thoughts

Just returned from Liberty on Sunday. This was my first Royal cruise and I was very interested to experience first hand what I've been reading about these past many months.

I have to say Sabor is the Best meal we had on the ship...Chops - the absolute worst. There were so many issues with our steaks the manager and the Chef came out to apologize. I told them I had heard ahead of time that the quality of the meat is very poor and I understood they were stuck with what corporate sent them. I did tell them that I will write to corporate and express my concerns as well - they were both very glad to hear that as they would love to get better quality meat.

We also ate in Giovannis one night - really good - the osso buco was devine. Our first waiter was very pushy with the wine list - suggesting a bottle more than twice the price of my original pick which was no longer available. He then brought out the appetizer before we were even done with the antipasto course. He was just so pushy and aggressive the whole table was very uptight, I spoke with the manager and he was replaced - the rest of the meal was fantastic.

We very much enjoyed the RBar - Melv in, Raj, & Anna were so much fun. We had such a great time at the first Martini Tasting we did it again!

The ship itself was nice although I prefer one with more outside deck - especially outdoor eating areas from the buffet and an outside aft deck for that gorgeous view.

The push for onboard sales of bev pkg and spec. dining was very aggressive. I was almost scollded by a Giovannis waiter one afternoon because he hadn't seen me in the restaurant yet - and no - he was not joking.

The windjammer was average as was the MDR food - pretty much as expected.

All in all we had a blast but I will look for another ship layout that suits my taste better.

Thank you for your review, may I suggest a Radiance class, although smaller then a Freedom class, at 962 feet in length it isn't small but that class does offer a lot of glass and wonderful views of the ocean. A favorite area is the Schooner Bar. Their WJ does have an outside eating area to the rear.

Thank you for your review, may I suggest a Radiance class, although smaller then a Freedom class, at 962 feet in length it isn't small but that class does offer a lot of glass and wonderful views of the ocean. A favorite area is the Schooner Bar. Their WJ does have an outside eating area to the rear.

Thanks - I"ll have to check them out. I also plan to check out Azamara. Our next cruise is on Celebrity Eclipse which I know ticks a few more of my boxes.

One thing I forgot to mention was the bed, even with a foam topper, was like sleeping on a cement slab! Still recovering from that. :(

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was on this cruise with you, sorry I didn't make the slot pull. I had just the opposite bed, very comfortable with my topper. I would not have wanted to sleep without it. I did miss an outside area near the windjammer, my last cruise on Disney Fantasy had one and it was wonderful. I think the outdoor slides and flo rider take up too much aft outside viewing space. I did sit at the flo rider and watch the waves and the people riding.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was on this cruise with you, sorry I didn't make the slot pull. I had just the opposite bed, very comfortable with my topper. I would not have wanted to sleep without it. I did miss an outside area near the windjammer, my last cruise on Disney Fantasy had one and it was wonderful. I think the outdoor slides and flo rider take up too much aft outside viewing space. I did sit at the flo rider and watch the waves and the people riding.

Sorry we never ran into each other!

A little surprised at Chops , I know it can be hit or miss but it was really good on our last trip in April on Liberty ( went twice) , we had similar experience in Giovanni's last month on another ship waiter who was annoying kept trying to convince us to buy a bottle instead of the wine by the glass which is covered by our drink package, most of the waiter we have had in Giovanni's were excellent

A little surprised at Chops , I know it can be hit or miss but it was really good on our last trip in April on Liberty ( went twice) , we had similar experience in Giovanni's last month on another ship waiter who was annoying kept trying to convince us to buy a bottle instead of the wine by the glass which is covered by our drink package, most of the waiter we have had in Giovanni's were excellent

I ordered the dry aged porterhouse with the $$ upcharge - they were very apologetic and did not charge me - I ate about three bites. The steak was less than 3/4" thick - doesn't even really qualify as a Porterhouse (should be minimum of 1 1/4").

In the main dining room every night the Maitre'd kept asking us if we wanted to do the last sea day champagne brunch and galley tour. We kept saying no, not sure why he ask us every night.

Sorry I didn't run into you either. We had 22 women in our group, so we kept pretty busy meeting some for the first time.

This class was suggested to us(the best there is)by one of the ladies from the Spa last week. Very intriguing:)

The push for onboard sales of bev pkg and spec. dining was very aggressive. I was almost scollded by a Giovannis waiter one afternoon because he hadn't seen me in the restaurant yet - and no - he was not joking.

A friend was on Liberty a week before you. She also complained about the incessant up-selling. Very disappointing to hear - that stuff drives me nuts. We will be on next summer - hope we don't experience the same. Perhaps if RC hears/reads enough complaints they will address it. Probably wishful thinking...

A friend was on Liberty a week before you. She also complained about the incessant up-selling. ...

I never get these complaints:confused:, of course they are trying to make money, but I have never been accosted by anyone....tables are just in prominent places but you just walk by them shaking your head no, if you do nobody even says anything to you....no problem...

I never get these complaints:confused:, of course they are trying to make money, but I have never been accosted by anyone....tables are just in prominent places but you just walk by them shaking your head no, if you do nobody even says anything to you....no problem...

That has been my experience as well, but I'm reading very different stories from some folks coming off Liberty.

That has been my experience as well, but I'm reading very different stories from some folks coming off Liberty.

We were on Liberty in October. I saw all of the upsells and easily ignored them. The one that bugged me was in Sabor. I just paid for a private meal. And the waiter does a sales pitch for an avocado peeler. I politely said no but thought a sales pitch at a private restaurant a bit tacky.