Motion Sickness?

ScooterTrash

I also like the Bonine because it doesn't make me sleepy. I start taking it the morning we board the ship and I continue taking it every morning throughout the cruise, just in case. If it is especially rocky, I can take another one about 5 p.m.. It has worked for me and we had some rough waters one day and I didn't get sick. I also find that keeping something in my stomach is helpful, even if it's just a roll in between meals.

sasha'smom

I use the accupressure wrist bands as a preventive. Put them on before we sailaway and only have to wear them through morning of the first cruise day. I have thought I'd been on enough cruises not to need them (because they work so well for me) that I didn't put them on last time - woke up woozy the next morning. Put them on and felt better within an hour - removed them later that night and was fine for the rest of the cruise. The elastic band comes in different colors but you can't really hide the fact that you are wearing them BUT I think they are more discreet then the patches people put behind their ears - especially when you see their formal pictures and the patch stands out so much.

We have used ginger the last cruise. This worked great. Took only twice and it relieved nausea. Have used the patches in the past, but it caused my eyes to diulate and we couldn't read the patter for nothing. I have used the patches other times before that with no problem. don't know why it started after the third time.

Scooter, where are you going? Some routes don't really get rocky unless there's a storm. During eight cruises, only had one port that had heavy duty swells, Puerto Rico.

Our next cruise is supposed to be a heavy duty, roller coaster of a ride. So I'm taking candied ginger (available at my grocery store) and ginger Altoids (found at Target).

Took a non drowsy Dramamine the morning we left and took one every morning on the ship. Never had a problem!! When the seas got a little rough heading back north I was fine and everyone in my group was looking for the Dramamine. I say better safe than sorry!!:(

There seems to be lots of questions on over the counter medications taken to prevent motion sickness, nausea and vomiting. I did a little research on the two most popular over the counter formulations; Dramamine Original and Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL and offer the following. I am not a doctor or pharmacist. I just looked up the information on the internet.

Dramamine Original

Average cost: $4 for 12 pills

Active ingredient: 50mg Dimenhydrinate

Drug class: Antihistamine

Uses:

Reduces allergic symptoms such as hay fever, hives, rash or itching;

Prevents motion sickness, nausea, vomiting;

Relieves symptoms associated with the common cold;

Induces sleep.

What the drug does:

Blocks action of histamine after an allergic response triggers histamine release in sensitive cells. Histamines cause itching, sneezing, runny nose and eyes and other symptoms.

Appears to work in the vomiting center of the brain to control nausea and vomiting and help prevent motion sickness.

Skin and Sunlight: May cause rash or intensify sunburn in areas exposed to the sun.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL

Average cost:

Dramamine Less Drowsy: $4 for 8 Pills

Bonine: $7 for 16 pills

Meclizine HCL: $7 for 100 pills

Active Ingredient in all three: 25mg Meclizine Hydrocloride

Drug class: Antiemetic, antihistamine, anti-motion sickness.

Uses: Prevents motion sickness and treatment for Vertigo.

What the drug does:

Reduces sensitivity of nerve endings in inner ear and blocks messages to brain’s vomiting center.

Skin and sunlight: No problems expected.

As you can see, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL are identical. You are paying for the “Brand” name. Buying the generic Meclizine HCL will save you a whole bunch of money.

Our next cruise is supposed to be a heavy duty' date=' roller coaster of a ride. So I'm taking candied ginger (available at my grocery store) and ginger Altoids (found at Target).[/quote']

Cruisin' Chick - Where are you going on your roller coaster ride? I probably should avoid that one!

There seems to be lots of questions on over the counter medications taken to prevent motion sickness, nausea and vomiting. I did a little research on the two most popular over the counter formulations; Dramamine Original and Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL and offer the following.

As you can see, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL are identical. You are paying for the “Brand” name. Buying the generic Meclizine HCL will save you a whole bunch of money.

The problem with the over the counter remedies is that they are antihistamines. That means they may cause drowsiness, and it is a good idea to avoid alcohol. Not very appealing on a cruise! I agree with the poster who said that most folks are never bothered, so unless you are one of those rare folks who is predisposed to motion sickness, and there are those who are, don't premedicate with these, use them only if/when you have a problem.

I have no problem with alcohol and Meclizine HCL.. Also, if you wait until you get seasick to take the meds, it is too late.. I start my wife on the meds one day before we board the ship.. She has no problems with motion sickness on the ship.

Bonine and Ginger Tablets combined worked for me, but I did think the Bonine made me a little drowsy....could just have been the rockin' of the sea!!! :D

One warning on Ginger items, Altoids, etc.....some of them do not have any "real" ginger in them. As always, read the labels.

To counteract any possible drowsiness, I always take Bonine before bedtime. If I need another one during the day, I will take it. On our last cruise we were booked into the farthest aft cabin on the Baja deck and experienced 17 - 20 foot swells; we were rolling all over the bed that night, but I didn't need a second one. I'ved also never had a problem with alcohol and Bonine ... if I did, I'd just have to put up with the motion sickness!!! :D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

If all else fails, go see the ships doctor who can give you an injection to combat motion sickness. After 9 or so cruises, last Christmas I experienced motion sickness on the Century for the first time. All the over the counter stuff didn't work so I went to see the ship's doctor who gave me an injection every evening that did wonders. I have no idea what it was.

It was a strange cruise- very rough seas. It was my 4th or 5th cruise on the Century and I had never experienced that before. Apparently the captain was not using the ships stabilizers to save fuel (???).....that was the rumor anyway.

We start taking Bonine the day before we leave and also take ginger root pills. You can get 100 ct bottle of the Ginger from Wally World for around $4. We had 12' seas during our last cruise with no effects.

Dave

We did the same thing. Works great for me!

Greetings fellow cruisers!

We have only cruised once before - on the Norwegian Star. It was a Hawaiian cruise that also took us down to Fanning Island which meant 12 to 20 foot seas and a solid day and a half at sea each way. My DH got VERY seasick as did MANY other passengers. :( I suffered from strong feelings of guilt for sleeping like a baby and being soothed by the rocking motion of the ship...;)

At the pursers desk - as well as in other public areas around the ship - there were giant "fish bowls" full of Meclizine in single dose packets - for FREE! We got hubby some "Sea Bands" and once he could keep the Meclizine down (had to go ashore to achieve that) he was fine. I am amazed he wants to cruise again after the terrible "green flu" but we are sailing for 10 days on the Coral Princess Panama Canal itinerary in February of '06 to celebrte our 30th Anniversary. :D We plan on him taking Bonine beginning the day before the cruise as well as wearing his fashionable Sea Bands!

I was wondering if Princess makes the single dose packets of Meclizine available free of charge as well? I don't mind buying them - but it was sure nice to have them easily accessible to those who didn't plan on being effected!

Thanks!

Cruiser-be-me

Oh well - they are a small price to pay for a quality experience! It was worth asking. Thanks for the quick answer!

Everyone we met who were experienced cruisers told us the seas in the Carribean were MUCH smoother than we had on that crusier and that we should not let that experience color our cruising dreams forever. :p We are going to plan ahead for it this time and hope for smooth sailing all the way!

Thanks again for the reply!

Cruiser-be-me

We usually do fine but had one rough day at the end of our May/05 Alaska cruise. Felt slightly uncomfortable. With Tahiti planned for Mar/06, it is a smaller ship and could cause us a little trouble. Took recommendations from these boards, bought ginger and meclizine, and tried it out on my 4-day Bahamas cruise to see how my body would react. While a non-drowsy formula, I think it still made me a little drowsy. So I will take that one at night. The dining table next to us lost 2 out of 6 PAX before dinner was served, but I felt fine. Wish I could take a case of Vernor's ginger ale, but that just seems like too much to haul!

Archived