Sanctuary

tjcletsgo

Oh do tell more about eating lunch in the sanctuary. Bring your own? Special Menu? What?

They have a limited menu but you can get burgers. There is a $3 delivery charge per order.

It can be good to do, especially on days when cruising though areas of interest. On an Australia to Asia repositioning cruise (ex Sydney) the ship goes up the east coast of Australia and through the Torres Strait. The channel is inside the Great Barrier Reef and quite close to shore at some points. I'd booked sun loungers on the port side and we had magnificent views, enhanced by commentaries from the Torres Strait pilot. That was one day I was not going elsewhere for lunch.

If you want more variety then bring your lunch with you, either from the Horizon Court or the Terrace Grill. We did that a few times on our last cruise on Sun Princess. The advantage of the Sun class ships is that the Horizon Court is directly below The Sanctuary so very handy for getting meals and snacks.

Oh do tell more about eating lunch in the sanctuary. Bring your own? Special Menu? What?

I don't know how special the menu is. But there is one you can order from. There is a charge for the service. Someone that know better may have the answers sorry. Pam from California will know better then me.

Tony

There is a $3 delivery charge per order.

The delivery charge is per order per person. We have spent many days in the sanctuary on the Regal and Royal and found it enforced only once, last week on the Regal. The DW and I order lunch at the same time and were charged two $3.00 fees.

Our experience is that they usually waive the second fee and sometimes don't even charge us any delivery charges.

The delivery charge is per order per person. We have spent many days in the sanctuary on the Regal and Royal and found it enforced only once, last week on the Regal. The DW and I order lunch at the same time and were charged two $3.00 fees.

Our experience is that they usually waive the second fee and sometimes don't even charge us any delivery charges.

Yes, per order per person was what I meant, but how/if they apply the charge seems to vary by ship, and even by who is on duty in the Sanctuary at the time. On our last cruise they were very strict about applying the charge.

Personally I find the charge annoying given the extra cost to use the Sanctuary. We don't order a lot of stuff when we're there, just lunch and a drink on the odd occasion. It just seems like nickle and diming to me, although it may be meant as a subtle deterrent - if everyone kept ordering drinks and food all day long the staff would soon be run off their feet. They should put a mini-IC in the Sanctuary. ;)

Yes, per order per person was what I meant, but how/if they apply the charge seems to vary by ship, and even by who is on duty in the Sanctuary at the time. On our last cruise they were very strict about applying the charge.

Personally I find the charge annoying given the extra cost to use the Sanctuary. We don't order a lot of stuff when we're there, just lunch and a drink on the odd occasion. It just seems like nickle and diming to me, although it may be meant as a subtle deterrent - if everyone kept ordering drinks and food all day long the staff would soon be run off their feet. They should put a mini-IC in the Sanctuary. ;)

Heh, and here I thought that was part of the point of the Sanctuary, to be well cared for by the staff!

Can you still queue to buy food and drinks?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Heh, and here I thought that was part of the point of the Sanctuary, to be well cared for by the staff!

We've always been very well looked after by the staff in the Sanctuary - but the Sanctuary is usually very quiet on Australian-based cruises.

Although I guess if they had a bunch of heavy drinkers up there they'd have to put on extra staff, just to keep the drinks supply going. :eek: :D

Can you still queue to buy food and drinks?

:confused: Not sure what you mean by this. :confused:

We've always been very well looked after by the staff in the Sanctuary - but the Sanctuary is usually very quiet on Australian-based cruises.

Although I guess if they had a bunch of heavy drinkers up there they'd have to put on extra staff, just to keep the drinks supply going. :eek: :D

:confused: Not sure what you mean by this. :confused:

Quiet is good! Hehehe, Aussies? Drinkers? No! ;)

I mean, do you have to pay the $3 and have the staff serve you, or can you get it yourself?

I mean, do you have to pay the $3 and have the staff serve you, or can you get it yourself?

You can get something from the grill or buffet and bring it in, but I do not believe you can get the special items just on the Sanctuary menu. I would not know where to pick them up.

You can wander down to the nearest bar, get a drink, and bring it back to the Sanctuary. Depending on the ship the nearest bar might be a couple of decks down though.

You can also go to the buffet and bring back a plate of food for lunch. We preferred to do this on our last cruise as not many of the Sanctuary menu items appeal to us.

You can get something from the grill or buffet and bring it in, but I do not believe you can get the special items just on the Sanctuary menu. I would not know where to pick them up.

Yes, most of the special Sanctuary menu items aren't usually available in the buffet. Be aware - many of the selections are very light, and often vary from day to day depending on which chef is on duty at the time. The burgers are usually nice.

Thanks for that. I am a student, so money on board is a bit tight, but I was still hoping to experience the Sanctuary for half a day, and was trying to figure out if my budget could take it. :)

Though my food intolerances may disqualify me from being able to eat anything in the Sanctuary, anyway.

Edited by kunoichi

• 3 months later...