What if someone runs out of money on their cruise

leekel619

I thought you could no longer remove DSC while onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is for American bookings only I believe. There was a British gentleman Saturday morning trying to get his DSC removed because he was never told he would be charged for the water he opened in the room.

He was told he had to wait til Saturday morning.

I've been reading a lot of posts about paying in cash vs. credit card. Some don't use credit cards (at all) and put down a certain amount of cash on their card.

What happens if they don't bring enough cash and mid week can no longer pay the DSC.

Just wondering what happens. Do they get billed after the cruise. Maybe the whole family gets sent to the brig...[emoji10]

We pre-pay what we can. Use credit card. And we have UBP.

Are you aware that you can prepay your DSC? If you prepay it, and have the UBP, and eat in the non surcharge restaurants it is very possible to not spend a penny on the ship.

However, there is a possibility that you could run out of money in another way.

I was on a cruise with my brother and his wife and family. He had done quite a bit of shopping in the stores and in the ports. When it came time to go through customs, on the ship, and time to settle up he did not have the cash available, and I think at the time they would not accept credit cards, so luckily I was there to bail him out with a check. I am not sure how Customs would have reacted to someone not able to bay the tariff, but perhaps they would confiscate the item.

I am pretty sure that those paying cash have to put the cash down in advance to cover the incidentals, and would be called to the purser's office if the advanced cash ran out prior to the end of the cruise.

Other than the Mayflower, what ship does not accept credit cards in the last thirty years?

On our cruise our shuttle mates had their UBP blocked over a $6 charge. She put only enough funds to cover the gratuities yet a bottle of water was charged to her account. She was unable to buy beverages until her account was settled.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

I've been reading a lot of posts about paying in cash vs. credit card. Some don't use credit cards (at all) and put down a certain amount of cash on their card.

What happens if they don't bring enough cash and mid week can no longer pay the DSC.

Just wondering what happens. Do they get billed after the cruise. Maybe the whole family gets sent to the brig...[emoji10]

We pre-pay what we can. Use credit card. And we have UBP.

Oh my, running out of cash mid-week would be very bad.

Boat_zpsthopfoyl.jpg

I can't speak directly for NCL, but on another popular cruise line, there was someone who had a balance due and could not pay. They made them sign a promissory note and sent them a bill.

Which is what I would expect. Also the reason I use a credit card and don't use a debit card.

My family and I just got off of the Escape last week and I've sailed with Norwegian twice. I actually prefer to pay cash while sailing and I have done so both sailings. We have credit cards and debit cards, but i dont like having holds placed on them and becaise they allow you to put cash down, we take advantage. They take the DSC on a daily basis so imy out need to make sure you budget for it and your other charges don't exceed that. We had our 16 year neice with her and she was in a different room, so the SD actually split her onboard charges, her DSC was held in an "escrow" style while the cash that we put down was expendable as needed.

I wasee actually flagged while getting off of the ship for an outstanding $7 fee. The night before we squared up our accountsite and they actually gave us cash back, since we put more cash down than we spent. Shortly after that, I believe my husband may have used the internet, because somehow we accrued the charge. They pulied me out of line and sent me to the cashier where you get tickets for shows. I wasn't sure what the issue was, so I had my family go ahead of me. When I got to the cashier, she said that I had a $7 balance that I needed to pay before I could exit the ship. I didn't have any cash with me, my husband had left and was carrying our cash. I had to have security walk me down to where they were to get the cash. Otherwise I would've had to pay by cc at the service desk and wait in line to leave again.

They seemed pretty chill about it, so I don't know if they would've forced me to call family to come up with the money. I'm sure they probably do what someone else mentioned, make you sign a promissory note and send the money at a later date.

Are you aware that you can prepay your DSC? If you prepay it, and have the UBP, and eat in the non surcharge restaurants it is very possible to not spend a penny on the ship.

We do pre-pay. We also bring enough cash and use a credit card.

I was curious (nosey) about what happens to others who run out of money. It would seem the only thing not paid at the end would be DSC. All other charging privileges would be suspended during the cruise once the money was gone.

Edited by leekel619

My family and I just got off of the Escape last week and I've sailed with Norwegian twice. I actually prefer to pay cash while sailing and I have done so both sailings. We have credit cards and debit cards, but i dont like having holds placed on them and becaise they allow you to put cash down, we take advantage. They take the DSC on a daily basis so imy out need to make sure you budget for it and your other charges don't exceed that. We had our 16 year neice with her and she was in a different room, so the SD actually split her onboard charges, her DSC was held in an "escrow" style while the cash that we put down was expendable as needed.

I wasee actually flagged while getting off of the ship for an outstanding $7 fee. The night before we squared up our accountsite and they actually gave us cash back, since we put more cash down than we spent. Shortly after that, I believe my husband may have used the internet, because somehow we accrued the charge. They pulied me out of line and sent me to the cashier where you get tickets for shows. I wasn't sure what the issue was, so I had my family go ahead of me. When I got to the cashier, she said that I had a $7 balance that I needed to pay before I could exit the ship. I didn't have any cash with me, my husband had left and was carrying our cash. I had to have security walk me down to where they were to get the cash. Otherwise I would've had to pay by cc at the service desk and wait in line to leave again.

They seemed pretty chill about it, so I don't know if they would've forced me to call family to come up with the money. I'm sure they probably do what someone else mentioned, make you sign a promissory note and send the money at a later date.

Wow. Sounds like a stressful fiasco.