No Turkey or Greece stops, true or false?

girlsandpop

This is the 30 April 17 sailing. Our stops are Katakolon (Olympia), Greece/Volos, Greece (appears to be mainland Greece north of Athens based on the map at the cruise line website), Kusadasi, Turkey/Rhodes, Greece/Khios, Greece with embark and debark in Athens. Since we are stopping at Khios and Rhodes already, what are some other stops that may get put in it's place? Are Kotor, Crete, Mykonos, or Santorini close enough to swap in and still make it to Rhodes on time? Or is the swap more likely to become a sea day?

If Kusadasi is cancelled, Princess will need to add another non EU port in Albania or Montenegro to prevent needing to charge VAT. I am no expert, but that will probably cause the cancellation of Volos. Santorini or Mykonos could probably be a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

If Kusadasi is cancelled, Princess will need to add another non EU port in Albania or Montenegro to prevent needing to charge VAT. I am no expert, but that will probably cause the cancellation of Volos. Santorini or Mykonos could probably be a replacement.

So if I'm understanding you correctly this particular itinerary has the double conundrum of having all Greek stops with the exception of Turkey and if they cancel it their only other choice to avoid VAT is to put in Montenegro, which someone earlier said is having its own social unjust and might not be a solid choice. So, they likely would substitute Montenegro for turkey, and if Montenegro becomes a poor choice what's left is Albania. I'm no geography expert, but a quick glance at the map seems to show Montenegro quite a bit away from Athens. my guess is is that you're right- Volos would probably be lost and we would head up to Albania or Montenegro. hopefully, they could add in Santorini- but maybe I'm kind of pushing my luck on that one LOL

So if I'm understanding you correctly this particular itinerary has the double conundrum of having all Greek stops with the exception of Turkey and if they cancel it their only other choice to avoid VAT is to put in Montenegro, which someone earlier said is having its own social unjust and might not be a solid choice. So, they likely would substitute Montenegro for turkey, and if Montenegro becomes a poor choice what's left is Albania. I'm no geography expert, but a quick glance at the map seems to show Montenegro quite a bit away from Athens. my guess is is that you're right- Volos would probably be lost and we would head up to Albania or Montenegro. hopefully, they could add in Santorini- but maybe I'm kind of pushing my luck on that one LOL
That is my understanding, but I am no expert.

We were rerouted this summer from Istanbul and Kuradasi to Corfu and Montenegro. Very disappointing but understood and luckily we have been to both in the past. We didn't get the changes until the weeks before the cruise, which included changing dates on some ports.

I hope they keep Volos because that is an amazing port for the monasteries at Meteora.

We booked this during a huge sale from a well known large volume cruise only travel agent. I (and DH) are SO thrilled to finally do this bucket list cruise. We've been waiting nearly 5 years to do it, and we both have wanted to go to Greece and Turkey our whole lives. That said, we understand that there's a potential for Turkey to removed during our trip.

This is the 30 April 17 sailing. Our stops are Katakolon (Olympia), Greece/Volos, Greece (appears to be mainland Greece north of Athens based on the map at the cruise line website), Kusadasi, Turkey/Rhodes, Greece/Khios, Greece with embark and debark in Athens. Since we are stopping at Khios and Rhodes already, what are some other stops that may get put in it's place? Are Kotor, Crete, Mykonos, or Santorini close enough to swap in and still make it to Rhodes on time? Or is the swap more likely to become a sea day?

We just booked this on 31 Oct/1 November and already the price on our cabin has dropped $250pp--- so FYI to any others (or if you know anyone booked on this cruise) to check and see if a reprice works in your favor.

The good news (for you) is that Kusadasi is always the least likely Turkish port to get canceled since that is a very tourist oriented town with no history of "problems." But if they canceled....there would be quite a few Greek Island options they could substitute...or you could end up with a sea day.

Hank

We were rerouted this summer from Istanbul and Kuradasi to Corfu and Montenegro. Very disappointing but understood and luckily we have been to both in the past. We didn't get the changes until the weeks before the cruise, which included changing dates on some ports.

I hope they keep Volos because that is an amazing port for the monasteries at Meteora.

That last line is exactly why I was excited for the port. Since we've never been to that region- wherever we do end up will be a new experience and an adventure. And let's face it, even a sea day on vacation is STILL vacation and better than a day at home at work ;)

their only other choice to avoid VAT is to put in Montenegro, which someone earlier said is having its own social unjust and might not be a solid choice. So, they likely would substitute Montenegro for turkey, and if Montenegro becomes a poor choice what's left is Albania. I'm no geography expert, but a quick glance at the map seems to show Montenegro quite a bit away from Athens. my guess is is that you're right- Volos would probably be lost and we would head up to Albania or Montenegro. hopefully, they could add in Santorini- but maybe I'm kind of pushing my luck on that one LOL

Pacific Princess was in Montenegro today, no apparent political unrest or apparently even a suggestion for such. Beautiful community they say. Rain in morning though and a little chilly in the afternoon. http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/

The good news (for you) is that Kusadasi is always the least likely Turkish port to get canceled since that is a very tourist oriented town with no history of "problems." But if they canceled....there would be quite a few Greek Island options they could substitute...or you could end up with a sea day.

Hank

Which brings up a good point: since others are saying the line will likely try to place a non-EU port in the place of Kusadasi to keep from having to charge VAT.....if the worse happens and they don't replace the port and have to charge VAT- what happens for those citizens of countries who are exempt from VAT? I know when I went to London there were forms for getting a VAT refund; but is the same ever done on a ship? I get taxed enough right here at home, so I really have no desire to pay the much larger VAT taxes if I can avoid it. Won't go so far as to cancel the trip, but I'll say that'd be the cheapest post cruise bill we ever had if the VAT does go into effect ;)

Pacific Princess was in Montenegro today, no apparent political unrest or apparently even a suggestion for such. Beautiful community they say. Rain in morning though and a little chilly in the afternoon. http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/

This makes me happy to read.

And insanely jealous. I want to be that lovely couple when I grow up (more)! I love the author's writing style, simple yet elegant and descriptive all at the same time.

Just to put things in perspective, Turkey has issued warnings to Turkish citizens about traveling to the USA....because of the anti-Trump riots:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/turkey-issues-warning-over-travel-u-trump-protests-202613465.html

DW and I are long time international travelers and make our travel decisions based on what we consider reasonable risk. Personally, we would have no problem traveling to Istanbul today...which we would consider a much safer city then places like Portland, Oregon or San Francisco. Go figure.

Hank

Just to put things in perspective, Turkey has issued warnings to Turkish citizens about traveling to the USA....because of the anti-Trump riots:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/turkey-issues-warning-over-travel-u-trump-protests-202613465.html

DW and I are long time international travelers and make our travel decisions based on what we consider reasonable risk. Personally, we would have no problem traveling to Istanbul today...which we would consider a much safer city then places like Portland, Oregon or San Francisco. Go figure.

Hank

There hasn't been any violence in San Francisco, Oakland yes, but not San Francisco.

VAT panic? VAT is not an import tariff. A VAT has the same effects as a sales tax. “Now, nobody thinks that sales taxes are an unfair trade practice. New York has fairly high sales taxes; Delaware has no such tax. Does anyone think that this gives New York an unfair advantage in interstate competition?” http://www.taxanalysts.com/www/freefiles.nsf/Files/SLEMROD-14.pdf/$file/SLEMROD-14.pdf

VAT panic? VAT is not an import tariff. A VAT has the same effects as a sales tax. “Now, nobody thinks that sales taxes are an unfair trade practice. New York has fairly high sales taxes; Delaware has no such tax. Does anyone think that this gives New York an unfair advantage in interstate competition?” http://www.taxanalysts.com/www/freefiles.nsf/Files/SLEMROD-14.pdf/$file/SLEMROD-14.pdf

Not a panic, just don't want to pay VAT if I don't have to.

Hank

Now I am laughing, really?....sorry just couldn't resist SO Cal Native here....Just the fact that you know the language gives you an advantage.

BTW I have been to Turkey 3 times and do love Istanbul.

And was just there a year ago as well as Split, Rhodes, Montenegro, Athens, etc......I visited Israel and Egypt when they were in crisis...Cuzco when roads were cut off so we had to fly rather than take a bus, the airport was even cut off for a few hours, they were dragging protesters off the street in front of us, Peru when it was election day, talk about chaos as if you don't vote you get fined in that country. Russia, when 3 in our group were pick pocketed, pass ports were held for ransom, should I go on. Give me the good old U.S. any day with protesters.

Can someone give more detail about the VAT, who is charged this the ship...I don't get it?

Edited by land lover

Now I am laughing, really?....sorry just couldn't resist SO Cal Native here....Just the fact that you know the language gives you an advantage.

And was just there a year ago as well as Split, Rhodes, Montenegro, Athens, etc......I visited Israel and Egypt when they were in crisis...Cuzco when roads were cut off so we had to fly rather than take a bus, the airport was even cut off for a few hours, they were dragging protesters off the street in front of us, Peru when it was election day, talk about chaos as if you don't vote you get fined in that country. Russia, when 3 in our group were pick pocketed, pass ports were held for ransom, should I go on. Give me the good old U.S. any day with protesters.

Can someone give more detail about the VAT, who is charged this the ship...I don't get it?

I'm another one that feels many foreign countries are safer than many US cities on a daily basis. My risk of getting killed in random gun violence is much greater in our grand country, sad to say.

At any rate, on to VAT: This tax is charged on cruises that do NOT have a call at a port which is outside the EU. Hence the popularity of calling in at Turkey, or Kotor, or (in recent past) Tunisia. If there is no ex-EU port of call, everyone must pay the additional VAT on purchases onboard ship -- I understand this includes pretty much everything from drinks to shore excursions.

If you're interested, there have been a number of discussions on this on various boards. If you search "VAT Mediterranean" you'll probably find more info than you want....

If the ship does not stop at a non-EU port, VAT is added to on board purchases made by passengers. My understanding/experience is that it applies to drinks, store purchases, as well as spa treatments. Not sure about drink packages or coffee cards purchased on board. I have not experienced those, but had heard conflicting stories from people on different cruises and different cruise lines.

Edited by RDC1

Carnival says: “When a passenger ship is docked in port on any U.S. mainland, province or within U.S. territorial waters, any "taxable" purchase is charged to the passenger using the appropriate tax rate for that particular port! If you decide to stay on the ship (docked) and, for instance, have order a drink (at the bar or in the dining room, room service, etc) or buy something on-board (if any shop is open), your account will be assessed the appropriate reciprocal sales tax rate in that port city. NYC rate is 8.375%, Boston is 5%, Maine 4.5%, and so on!”

“Just got back from RCL Voyageur 7 days Mrditerranean cruise was surprised had to pay 7% Sales Tax on drinks in addition to 15% Gratuity and 16%VAT on all on-board purchases. Do all European cruises charge these taxes?”

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2351381&page=2

Thanks for answering my query. I just never thought about VAT being charged on a ship and I've been on 5 or it 6 Med cruises. Yes, I've gotten hit on land. Just never knew it was an EU thing.

I know when I have purchased drink packages after boarding, going out of LA, Princess delays the processing. But if the ship is delayed 8.25%. But Texas was another story as far a liquor...

Kennicott...OUCH! So I take it you did not go to an non EU port?