Dubai port on Constellation

Kittyonions

We are on Connie in Arabian Gulf in January. Can anyone advise if taxis, buses are available at the port in Dubai and MUscat to access the city centres. Any help on the cost of taxis, and if they are metered or if we need to negotiate at these ports would be most appreciated.

In Muscat you have to take a shuttle from the ship to either the exit, taxi's waiting or on to the old port/souk area, we had an organised tour so cant comment on Taxi prices.

Dubai you need a taxi from the ship as the distances are so large, taxis are metered and reasonably priced but a supplement of 2odh is payable for trips into/out the port.

• 3 weeks later...

IN Muscat you will need the shuttle bus to the port exit, but if you plan on wandering around the town and into the souq (highly recommended)

you can walk there in about 5 mins. (just follow the stream of people also walking) There will be taxi's at the port entrance but its a bit chaotic and intimidating i think. Just walk ;-)

For Dubai i'd recommend the big bus tour (hop on hop off) it will take you everywhere you need to see and includes museum (which is nice and not too big) as well as great walking tour. If you go independently in a taxi it will take 30 ish to get to the burj Kalifa and cost about 100dhs. The taxis will be in a rank probably and not chaotic (i live in Dubai)

In Muscat you have to take a shuttle from the ship to either the exit, taxi's waiting or on to the old port/souk area, we had an organised tour so cant comment on Taxi prices.

Where did you have to go to meet your tour?

IN Muscat you will need the shuttle bus to the port exit, but if you plan on wandering around the town and into the souq (highly recommended)

you can walk there in about 5 mins. (just follow the stream of people also walking) There will be taxi's at the port entrance but its a bit chaotic and intimidating i think. Just walk ;-)

For Dubai i'd recommend the big bus tour (hop on hop off) it will take you everywhere you need to see and includes museum (which is nice and not too big) as well as great walking tour. If you go independently in a taxi it will take 30 ish to get to the burj Kalifa and cost about 100dhs. The taxis will be in a rank probably and not chaotic (i live in Dubai)

Some assistance with the HOHO Dubai bus. Are you able to walk from the ship to the Bus Stop please? Thanks

We are on Connie in Arabian Gulf in January. Can anyone advise if taxis, buses are available at the port in Dubai and MUscat to access the city centres. Any help on the cost of taxis, and if they are metered or if we need to negotiate at these ports would be most appreciated.

Can't speak for Muscat, but to add to everyone else, yes: taxis in Dubai are metered. However costs are very low for licensed taxis compared to the United States or Western Europe and probably more akin to something like Uber. Uber, for what it is worth, is also available.

I agree with everything stated except on the tours which I have no experience with.

One more thing, while you can negotiate a price with a Taxi, they have to use a meter, and if they don't, your ride is free (if you didn't agree in adavance).

Defintely easy and convienent to use a Taxi in Dubai except during rush hour. I'm going to get to my Abu Dhabi and Dubai day reviews this weekend on the other thread.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Just back from a cruise including Muscat and Dubai on another line

There is a HOHO big bus in Muscat too which gives an interesting tour of this sprawling city. It starts at the souk, just around the corner from the port entrance, if it is not on the quayside when you get off the ship. The tour does not include the Grand Mosque. You need to get off at stop no. 3 and take a taxi. They said on the bus that the cost was about 20€ or $30 each way but a taxi would take four people. You could get it to wait for you too.

We thoroughly enjoyed the 2 hour ride, it was a good way to get a feel for the city.

The souk is fun but many of the items are made in China or India. As long you appreciate that, it's fine.