Car rentals

Pickels

We often rent a car to drive to Port Everglades and return home. We generally turn our Avis car in about 10:30 after dropping our luggage (except carry-ons) at the ship. There is usually a line of two or three waiting to turn cars in and all the chairs, benches and shady places full with families waiting for their car (the ones being turned) to be made ready (wash, etc.). The last several times we have just hopped in a taxi and asked the driver to drop us at the back side of the Avis area in the car rental facility (about $20). I pick up the keys (DW stays with the luggage) move the car, load and go. Our record was being on the road about 20 minutes after leaving the ship. On Saturday and Sunday the rental car lanes at the airport are full with ready to go cars. Have heard stories about the shuttles driving by full and having to wait. After a great cruise, it's $20 well spent.

There is a shuttle bus going to the rental car center at FLL. It's free but you might have to show them a booking.

Can you tell me more about this? We opted to rent a car after the cruise from the airport, and we were just going to take taxi, but this sounds great. Do you have to reserve it? Do they just circle all the ships that are disembarking that day? Details, please!

Can you tell me more about this? We opted to rent a car after the cruise from the airport, and we were just going to take taxi, but this sounds great. Do you have to reserve it? Do they just circle all the ships that are disembarking that day? Details, please!

It depends on where you arrive...

When we arrived on Constellation we just took a bus circling that said National/Alamo on it. We were asked to show the reservation papers and hopped on. When we arrived on Oasis there where bus stops for the buses of the different companies. Either way it was not a problem.

Should you decide to take a taxi to the rental car center it would probably be around 15-20$.

There are some stations closer to port (I remember a Dollar station at the port entrance), however, the RCC at the airport is where all the major companies are.

There is a shuttle bus going to the rental car center at FLL. It's free but you might have to show them a booking.

And the booking must be on National or Alamo. The other agencies do not participate with this shuttle.

As others have pointed out, some other agencies with off-airport locations will have a shuttle to their location. And if you rent off-airport, you do not have to pay ridiculous airport imposed fees.

Edited by caribill

And the booking must be on National or Alamo. The other agencies do not participate with this shuttle.

As others have pointed out, some other agencies with off-airport locations will have a shuttle to their location. And if you rent off-airport, you do not have to pay ridiculous airport imposed fees.

As I said above, there are National/Alamo shuttles as well as shuttles of other companies...

We used Alamo once and Dollar another time. Both offered shuttles to the RCC. As much as I know friends booked with Avis and also took a shuttle to the RCC...

I guess it goes without saying you pick the one of the company you booked with ;)

Edited by Miaminice

We're reserved with Thrifty, so I'm going to give them a call and see if they have a shuttle (I know they are sisters with Dollar so maybe).

I always thought those rental car shuttles at the Port only went to the off-site agencies (we've taken one to Budget in a Strip Mall someplace once), I didn't realize that some went to the airport RCC.