First Experience With On Board Medical Staff

cruzeluver

We disembarked Sunshine this past Friday. It was an absolutely fantastic cruise overall. No complaints. Food was plentiful and very good, especially Jiji's Asian Kitchen and Chef's Table. Both were unbelievable! Crew was accommodating, friendly and very warm. This was our second time on Sunshine this year and she remains one of our favorites. It was an unusual sailing as we were not scheduled to depart till 10:00PM and due to a medical emergency on the previous sailing embarkation got pushed from starting at 3:30 to starting at 6:30, so all 3,000 were trying to board at once and we did not sail till midnight. It was crazy but it could have been worse.

In my now 20 plus cruises I have never had a need to visit the on board medical facilities, until now. The reason was completely my own stupid fault. I managed to get a ring stuck on my finger! :p I tried everything I could think of to get it removed : ice water, lotion, soap etc. But the knuckle had become so swollen it was hopeless. I went to one of the jewelry stores and they referred me to the medical center. The staff there could not have been better! Very sympathetic, patient and extremely professional. They had to use a ring cutter to slowly cut through the band. It hurt like a you-know-what, but they got it off eventually. The charge was $60.00 which I thought was very reasonable. I cannot overstate how friendly both employees were and eager to help. They will definitely be getting a mention on our survey.

Any questions about Sunshine, medical facilities etc. ? I am happy to answer.

We have also made three trips to the Medical Department and were very pleased each time. As a nurse I was impressed with their care and follow-up recommendations. They were especially kind to my granddaughter and patient with my husband. No one WANTS to need their services, but good to know if you need them you will be well treated.:D

Ok I went and after standing for 1 1/2 I left. I was unable to sit because I was in so much pain from back. I had a bad back to start with but hurt it during the cruise. I ended up taking the pain pills I had till I got back home. The reason the wait was taking so long they were seeing crew. I think the crew should have a time set aside to be seen.

I had to use the medical center on the breeze about 2 years ago, and was treated very well. Not only was the medical staff very nice, but the rest of the crew was vary accomadating and got me off the ship first, the next morning, so that I could transported to the hospital in Miami.

We disembarked Sunshine this past Friday. It was an absolutely fantastic cruise overall. No complaints. Food was plentiful and very good, especially Jiji's Asian Kitchen and Chef's Table. Both were unbelievable! Crew was accommodating, friendly and very warm. This was our second time on Sunshine this year and she remains one of our favorites. It was an unusual sailing as we were not scheduled to depart till 10:00PM and due to a medical emergency on the previous sailing embarkation got pushed from starting at 3:30 to starting at 6:30, so all 3,000 were trying to board at once and we did not sail till midnight. It was crazy but it could have been worse.

In my now 20 plus cruises I have never had a need to visit the on board medical facilities, until now. The reason was completely my own stupid fault. I managed to get a ring stuck on my finger! :p I tried everything I could think of to get it removed : ice water, lotion, soap etc. But the knuckle had become so swollen it was hopeless. I went to one of the jewelry stores and they referred me to the medical center. The staff there could not have been better! Very sympathetic, patient and extremely professional. They had to use a ring cutter to slowly cut through the band. It hurt like a you-know-what, but they got it off eventually. The charge was $60.00 which I thought was very reasonable. I cannot overstate how friendly both employees were and eager to help. They will definitely be getting a mention on our survey.

Thanks for sharing.

Ok I went and after standing for 1 1/2 I left. I was unable to sit because I was in so much pain from back. I had a bad back to start with but hurt it during the cruise. I ended up taking the pain pills I had till I got back home. The reason the wait was taking so long they were seeing crew. I think the crew should have a time set aside to be seen.

That last statement really bothered me. Are you saying that because you are a paying customer, you deserve better treatment than a crew member? Was that crew member hurt seriously? Were they having a heart attack? Go in to any emergency room or doc in a box and they will take you in order of your severity. A bleeding patient will get priority over a sore back any day.

Not me but one of our group members had a fall from a chocolate marshmallow someone dropped on the floor . She laid there for thirty minutes or more before some staff arrived and took her to medical. They placed her on a board and held her there until we debarked the ship saying she had fractured her neck. Once we reached Miami the ambulance took her straight to the emergency room where she waited another few hours.

Finally when the doctor evaluated her condition he asked her " What are you doing here there is nothing wrong with you "

So yea , she had experienced the medical staff and had a nice trip home :rolleyes:.

That last statement really bothered me. Are you saying that because you are a paying customer, you deserve better treatment than a crew member? Was that crew member hurt seriously? Were they having a heart attack? Go in to any emergency room or doc in a box and they will take you in order of your severity. A bleeding patient will get priority over a sore back any day.

This! I am sorry that the person's back hurt, but medical professionals have to triage. Go to any ER - if an illegal alien who likely will never pay a dime of their medical bill comes in with a severed limb, heart attack or appendicitis and you have the flu, they get seen first. Period. Thank heavens for the Hypocritic oath; I don't want to live in a world where kindness and compassion is exchanged for cold hard cash.

Typically, there are guest clinic hours, and crew clinic hours. Emergencies will be seen as they present, but unless you are an emergency, they will not see you outside of clinic hours. It sounds like you went during crew clinic hours, and they of course have priority then, and you will be seen as soon as possible, but during passenger clinic hours, a crew presenting with a pre-existing bad back would not be seen at all.

I totally agree with you! I had an asthma attack on the Liberty a few years ago and I was very happy with the service. The doctor sensed the urgency and made me take a shot in the you know where:( I am petrified of needles, but he was so concerned that I would go down on his watch, he said that it would take a few days for the meds to get in my system so I had no choice but to take the shot. The nurse checked on me periodically throughout the cruise. It cost me $250, but it was money well spent.

Typically, there are guest clinic hours, and crew clinic hours. Emergencies will be seen as they present, but unless you are an emergency, they will not see you outside of clinic hours. It sounds like you went during crew clinic hours, and they of course have priority then, and you will be seen as soon as possible, but during passenger clinic hours, a crew presenting with a pre-existing bad back would not be seen at all.

Like a triage in ERs.

ddbaab53 -- Which Buckhead are you from? The 'Real' Buckhead or the Atlanta Buckhead?

We are from 30625. :D

We are also 30625 the real Buckhead Right across the lake from Sugar Creek Marina

Edited by ddbaab53

NO I not saying at all that because I am a paying customer deserve better treatment. I saying they should have time set aside for crew. There were 10 crew waiting to see the doctor. Any there were no crew hours listed. I ended up having to have spine surgery after I got back home.

Edited by ddbaab53

Years ago on Liberty my mom burned her feet on the deck by the aft pool -- that deck can get really hot. The Med Center folks bandaged her feet up and assigned her a wheelchair for her use during the rest of the cruise, all at no charge. Luckily this happened on the last sea day.

My mom couldn't have been happier with the service they received at the Med Center.

There was another lady being treated at the Med Center for the same reason, too. Watch out for those hot decks, folks! :o

Hey there ddbaab:

Just wanted to pass along an interesting bit of information we learned during the crew Q&A on our cruise last week aboard the Vista.

Someone asked the chief medical officer about their main role on the ship. He said that, first and foremost, they are there for the CREW of the ship. The crew live on the ship and that is their home. The medical facilities are to treat the crew that live there. Passengers will always be treated, but their first concern and priority is the health and wellbeing of the crew. He also said that if there is an emergency, they will tend to the emergency first.

He said that they are there to treat bumps and bruises and supply meds. for colds and aches and pains. They will act as a first responder in the case of an emergency, but the goal is to stabilize a patient until they can be airlifted or transported to a land based facility.

Sorry you were in pain for your vacation. That is no fun. Odds are the only thing the medical staff could have done for you was give you pain meds, which you already had, and refer you to a land based facility in port.

I hope you are feeling better.

I just have to ask? Did you get charged for the cost of the ring? Was it one of the bargain ones or one behind the locked glass door?

We are also 30625 the real Buckhead Right across the lake from Sugar Creek Marina

Good to know. We are in Oconee Shores, right outside of 'downtown' Buckhead. Love it out here. Moved in 2000 from Roswell. Haven't looked back. :)

Edited by tandemcruzr

Next time, use the old dental floss trick