Masseuse with TB was on Caribbean P

BarbinMich

We were on the WB Caribbean P TA this fall. Yesterday I got a call from my local public health department telling me that the masseuse I used on the CB 3 times in Sept. was diagnosed with tuberculosis about a month ago (10/10). Apparently Princess prepared a list of all her clients over a 3-month period (or so) when she was was infectious but symptom free. Rather than contacting us directly, they contacted our nearest public health dept. to do the contacting. Friday, I have to go in for a TB test (via blood) and answer a number of questions. I certainly appreciate that Princess is doing all of this to make sure her clients were not infected! She was a great masseuse so I'm really sorry to learn that she has TB.

We were on the WB Caribbean P TA this fall. Yesterday I got a call from my local public health department telling me that the masseuse I used on the CB 3 times in Sept. was diagnosed with tuberculosis about a month ago (10/10). Apparently Princess prepared a list of all her clients over a 3-month period (or so) when she was was infectious but symptom free. Rather than contacting us directly, they contacted our nearest public health dept. to do the contacting. Friday, I have to go in for a TB test (via blood) and answer a number of questions. I certainly appreciate that Princess is doing all of this to make sure her clients were not infected! She was a great masseuse so I'm really sorry to learn that she has TB.
I hope you are ok. Please let me know. I will be sending you positive thoughts.

I honestly would bet $ that they do test every person who walks on the ship for employment for TB before they are allowed on the ship. That isn't something you want spreading around the ship. It's definitely a PR nightmare.

Hopefully your test comes back negative. Do not be surprised if they ask you to come back 3 months later for an additional check. My daughter was exposed to TB in her high school. She had to be tested and they requested she come back again for a second test. She is fine. It is standard procedure for this to be handled by the health department since it is considered a public health issue.

Barb please don't worry. I'm a nurse and I used to work in a major public hospital here in Melbourne. One year they decided to test all of the operating theatre staff to see how many of us had been in contact with TB and we all came up positive (over 150 staff). No-one suffered any ill effects so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Trish

I honestly would bet $ that they do test every person who walks on the ship for employment for TB before they are allowed on the ship.

They actually do have very thorough, very strict physicals that they have to get done before employment. It's likely that this employee picked it up on a port stop, same as anyone could. It's not so rare in domestic international hotspots such as here in South Florida, or in healthcare settings, either.

The CDC estimates that about 4% of the US population has latent tuberculosis, and that 5%-10% of those will develop the disease from that (as opposed to the other option of catching it from someone active), so it's not really as rare as we may think. It's obviously serious business once it's active, though.

Edited by yuccaman