Balcony necessity?

MillbrookMom

We don't cruise without a balcony...We love to listen to the sounds of the oceans and waves. In the Caribbean we will leave the sliding door open at night. Not sure if we will leave our door open on our upcoming June 2017 Alaska cruise or not but we will spend a lot of time out there. We get a better room rate from RCCL for a balcony and for us...A balcony is a must.

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

You do realize that leaving the balcony door open messes up the AC for everyone else near you.

DON

We had a Vista Aft Wrap on the Carnival Legend and the suite was worth every penny because we had aft views and port views from the wrap balcony. We loved it and have paid a ton to re-book the same cabin.

That being said, I think an ocean view would be fine. If I had to choose between a traditional port or starboard balcony vs. ocean view, I would save my money and go with the ocean view. We had beautiful weather, but still didn't use the balcony to sit out and just relax with a cup of coffee or a cocktail like we would have on a Caribbean cruise. Even thought it didn't rain it was always kind of damp.

When we were out we were actively using our cameras and binoculars, which we could have done from the public decks. Also we couldn't hear the announcements from the wildlife expert out on the balcony.

We have an aft balcony for our AK cruise next May for several reasons. Primary is that 2 of us use wheelchairs and don't have great stamina. With a private balcony, we can at worst relax in comfort and watch the amazing scenery. If we feel up to it, we can always find a forward spot to view from - having the balcony doesn't mean we are limited to it.

Also, I plan to leave my Nikon set up on a tripod to grab whatever great views appear. That will be much handier in our private room than dragging it around the ship, even on my scooter. (Not saying I won't, if I feel up to it. But I don't want to miss any part of the trip of a lifetime because of my disabilities.)

Just another POV to consider.

We had a Vista Aft Wrap on the Carnival Legend and the suite was worth every penny because we had aft views and port views from the wrap balcony. We loved it and have paid a ton to re-book the same cabin.

That being said, I think an ocean view would be fine. If I had to choose between a traditional port or starboard balcony vs. ocean view, I would save my money and go with the ocean view. We had beautiful weather, but still didn't use the balcony to sit out and just relax with a cup of coffee or a cocktail like we would have on a Caribbean cruise. Even thought it didn't rain it was always kind of damp.

When we were out we were actively using our cameras and binoculars, which we could have done from the public decks. Also we couldn't hear the announcements from the wildlife expert out on the balcony.

We just booked our first Alaskan cruise, 14 days on HAL. We normally sail on Celebrity but would have cost almost as much for seven days than what we paid for 14. We also normally book a balcony. In this case $2000 more wasn't worth it, particularly since we have very little OBC or a beverage package.

For example, we are paying $500 more for this 14 day cruise than we are for a ten day in Jan. However, there, on X, we have a beverage package and $650 OBC. On HAL we get $150 OBC, that's it.

This was the mistake. I never recommend the upper outside decks, which I consider poor locations, along with sometimes, plexiglass through views.

Instead, FAR superior are the lower wrap around type outside decks that most ships have. They are covered, simple to get side to side, and I never have any trouble finding rail space.

In July we're sailing on a HAL ship that has a wraparound promenade one deck below our cabin. Easy to run down and have the length of the ship to get space on the railing.

I'm thinking of booking Alaska for 2018. I love having a balcony, and would never do less than an oceanview, but I also hate the cold (I live in Florida for a reason), so would I regret not having a balcony? I guess a lot depends on the price difference, I suppose.

Another question-I have no desire to travel when school is out and prices are higher, so should I think of May, or late August/early September? I want to go to Glacier Bay National Park, and I think I would prefer going out of Vancouver, because I've always wanted to visit there. I'm willing to bundle up to keep warm to save money, because we don't have a huge budget.

I vote for May in your situation as there is statistically dryer weather. May also offer cherry blossoms in Vancouver for the cab ride to the cruise terminal.

Typically.... Oceanview to balcony is double price.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Forums mobile app

Edited by xlxo

Another question-I have no desire to travel when school is out and prices are higher, so should I think of May, or late August/early September? I want to go to Glacier Bay National Park, and I think I would prefer going out of Vancouver, because I've always wanted to visit there. I'm willing to bundle up to keep warm to save money, because we don't have a huge budget.

In some areas, schools get out in early May, so you are likely to have some kids in May. In other areas, schools don't start until after Labor Day, so you will definitely still have kids in August. The best chance of avoiding them is to go in September, after Labor Day, but then it is likely to be colder, wetter, and darker. Then again, you don't tend to see nearly as many kids on an Alaskan cruise as you might in the Caribbean, so it may not be as bad as you think.

Even with rainy days we love a balcony cabin for Alaska, and consider it a 24/7 excursion. We've seen many critters when standing at the railing at all times of the day that we would otherwise have missed, like dolphins zooming along racing the ship, sea otters and one morning around 6 am while approaching Glacier Bay were treated to a whale fully breaching AND puffins - wowsers! It also expands the feel of the cabin for us, as we can look far to the horizon when we're in the room.

Bottom line - personal preference and depends on what is important to you. Either way, Alaska is a wonderful experience!

Edited by LoriPhil

Does anyone have a favorite hotel in Seattle near the cruise port you can recommend?

Assuming HAL still sails from Pier 91 - there really aren't hotels that close to the cruise port. If you plan to sightsee in Seattle, stay near the downtown waterfront, then take a taxi to Pier 91.

We just booked our first Alaskan cruise, 14 days on HAL. We normally sail on Celebrity but would have cost almost as much for seven days than what we paid for 14. We also normally book a balcony. In this case $2000 more wasn't worth it, particularly since we have very little OBC or a beverage package.

For example, we are paying $500 more for this 14 day cruise than we are for a ten day in Jan. However, there, on X, we have a beverage package and $650 OBC. On HAL we get $150 OBC, that's it.

The ship you will be on for the 14 day cruise doesn't have as many balconies as the newer and bigger ships. That is definitely one of the reasons the balconies on this itinerary are expensive. We spent for a balcony on that itin, and to be honest didn't get enough value out of it to warrant the extra cost. Get outside on those public decks. It is truly a different experience :)

The ship you will be on for the 14 day cruise doesn't have as many balconies as the newer and bigger ships. That is definitely one of the reasons the balconies on this itinerary are expensive. We spent for a balcony on that itin, and to be honest didn't get enough value out of it to warrant the extra cost. Get outside on those public decks. It is truly a different experience :)

That was our thinking. Our cabin is one deck above the promomade deck. Best balcony on the ship.

On our cruises anymore, no balcony, no cruise, matter of fact it has to be a mini-suite balcony. Been there done that with insides and ocean views.

Spending a lot of time on the open decks walking around and from side to side is great too. So I do both, the balcony and the open deck bit. When I get a little chilly or tired, I head for the cabin where I'm still able to take in the vistas, albeit one side only but from a more comfortable atmosphere.

Now, I realize that a typical Alaska cruise is probably only about 7 days, so budget considerations might dictate otherwise and a non-balcony should suffice for an enjoyable voyage. For longer voyages, I suggest a quality cabin is worth considering. One might spend a lot more time in the cabin than initially believed. We usually book the longer cruises so 4 weeks at sea is common.

For instance, inside cabins, which are often discussed on these forums. Some say they aren't in those cabins much anyway so what difference does it make. When I look into some of these inside units, I get claustrophobic chills. As a what if, say one gets a bug on the ship, then you are going to be quarantined to your cabin, they will take care of you and feed you there. If they catch you leaving the cabin, you get put off at the next port.

So, just imagine being stuck inside one of these small cabins without a window or balcony for days on end. Like I say, hey, if I got quarantined to my balcony cabin, that wouldn't be unpleasant at all.

If you have the disposable income, get a balcony. It's fun to have, but it's not necessary to enjoy your trip.

I don't spend all that money for a vacation to sit in my room; I want to be out exploring the ship, people watching, or catching some fresh air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk