Travelling to Southampton

Krissyboi

Hi

I am travelling from Scotland and it's the first time we have drove down normally we get a flight however I'm not a great flyer and wanted to take opportunity on the baggage allowance being more laxed.

However driving from Scotland to the other side of the country seems a tad daunting.

I have Google mapped it and it seems OK taking 7 hours however I saw on another thread that part of a motorway was closed at the weekend near Southampton.

Does anyone have any info on driving to Southampton or the roads etc we are driving down on Tuesday hoping to avoid rush hour but any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Kris

I should certainly recommend driving down a day in advance of boarding the ship. You can usually get a cheap hotel en route. If it were me I should look at something like the Travelodge at Tot Hill Newbury area. It is on the A34 which is a good route to Southampton and is accessible both north and south bound. This service area is compact but has Little Chef, McDonalds, Shell petrol with Costa Coffee and Deli2go as well as the Travelodge. It is fairly short of Southampton; so not as pricey as in Southampton City Centre, but after check out time you should not arrive too early to board with the shortish run in the morning from there.

Doing the bulk of your driving a day ahead will reduce your risk of the effect of hold ups and you will feel less stressed.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Assuming you are booked at The West Quay Premier Inn, you are close to lots of car parks for the shopping centre and places like the Holiday Inn where they do pay parking if you are stuck in the short term if your car park were full. The multi storey at West Quay is open 5.30am to 10pm and 4+ hours is £5 see web site. Holiday Inn was £7 a day last time I was there ask at bar. So you will definitely get in somewhere I should think. All these are walkable after case drop off at your hotel.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

We once stayed at the PI City Centre which is the one with the car park you are probably talking about. It certainly is small and a really awkward shape too. The West Quay Centre isn't too far away with a multi-storey car park used by the other Premier Inn. There's also a retail park with lots of open-air parking (on harbour Parade) so you could always drop off your luggage quickly at the hotel then park your car.

We've only driven once to Southampton, and find the train an easier option now. I'm sure the drive took us longer than 7 hours, but I remember the weather being terrible. We used to drive regularly between Edinburgh and Oxford and we'd leave here just around 4:00 p.m. to miss the daytime traffic around Manchester and Birmingham. Once we got on the M40/ A34 it was always busy but not as bad as on the M6. Later after the toll road opened we used it and I'd strongly advise that to avoid Birmingham.

Edited by tartanexile81

If you are in Glasgow 7 hours to Southampton is very optimistic. On such a long trip it is very difficult to avoid rush hour at some point and you will need a couple of breaks.

Be realistic about the time it will take and it will be more relaxing.

We once stayed at the PI City Centre which is the one with the car park you are probably talking about. It certainly is small and a really awkward shape too. The West Quay Centre isn't too far away with a multi-storey car park used by the other Premier Inn. There's also a retail park with lots of open-air parking (on harbour Parade) so you could always drop off your luggage quickly at the hotel then park your car.

I would certainly endorse these comments. After many years of using the Holiday Inn we decided to try the Premier Inn at West Quay. Luggage drop off is easy and the car park only a few yards away. Plenty of eating places in the shopping centre for dinner and/or breakfast if you don't want to eat in the hotel.

Have to admit that I wouldn't fancy travelling down from Scotland but if I had to I would probably drive as well.

I would recommend the train if it's not too late to get tickets that aren't stupidly expensive. Whenever we fly from London we get the train and it's so much easier, we'll be getting the train when we fly to Miami next year as it's much less stressful than driving - as you say, you have to get secure parking if you drive.

As others have said though whatever you do get there a day early so you have time to unwind a little! (This is always nice as well because I hate flying too)

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by danielundecided

I would recommend the train. There are direct services from Newcastle . I am not sure about the West Coast line

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The train is OK if you only have hand luggage, and the OP has indicated he wants to take advantage of extra luggage that not flying will allow.

So loading and unloading at least 2 taxis, dragging luggage around 2 stations, and finding somewhere safe to stow it on the train, then another taxi to the ship on debarkation day. I would need 2 weeks to recover before I could enjoy the cruise, then another holiday after the same on the return.

To paraphrase the old advert let the train give you the strain.

We've only driven once to Southampton, and find the train an easier option now. I'm sure the drive took us longer than 7 hours, but I remember the weather being terrible. We used to drive regularly between Edinburgh and Oxford and we'd leave here just around 4:00 p.m. to miss the daytime traffic around Manchester and Birmingham. Once we got on the M40/ A34 it was always busy but not as bad as on the M6. Later after the toll road opened we used it and I'd strongly advise that to avoid Birmingham.

I've also stayed at this premier inn really loved it but yes the parking is very limited & agree an oddly shaped car park.

The train is OK if you only have hand luggage, and the OP has indicated he wants to take advantage of extra luggage that not flying will allow.

So loading and unloading at least 2 taxis, dragging luggage around 2 stations, and finding somewhere safe to stow it on the train, then another taxi to the ship on debarkation day. I would need 2 weeks to recover before I could enjoy the cruise, then another holiday after the same on the return.

To paraphrase the old advert let the train give you the strain.

I travel regularly from Scotland and in my opinion the train is no problem at all. Our taxi driver takes us to the station and helps with our luggage or we send it with the BHC. When we get to Newcastle after 1.5 hours of relaxing and being served at our seats we grab a trolley to take the luggage to the Southampton platform and sit having a Costa Coffee. We then have 5.5 hours relaxing - watching videos, reading the paper, doing crosswords, chatting and being served again at our seat. Finally a 5 minute transfer to the hotel, with the luggage handled by our driver.

The alternative? M8 Edinburgh to Glasgow - chaotic. M73, M74 to Carlisle - often bad weather. M6 - nightmare from start to finish. M40 then A34 - accident blackspot. Into Southampton- nose to tail! For me it's a no-brainer. Let the train take the strain :)

The train isn't too hard from Glasgow.

Change at Wolverhampton on the way down and chances are it will be just a walk from one side of the platform to the other for the connecting train to Southampton.

Change at Birmingham International on the way up and use the lifts to change platforms.

However the prices are silly unless booking in advance. So probably not a great option for the OP at this late notice. It's also worth looking at a Two Together railcard if there's time to organise it - this may save more money than the cost of the railcard.

When looking at cheap fares look at the option of a return that gives you a reservation on the return trip but the option of using any valid service - if available this may be only a few £ more expensive than the cheapest advance return.

Edited by Dryce

What is it about flying that you dont like?

Having flown between Southampton and Glasgow & Edinburgh MANY times, I think flying from Scotland to the South Coast of England is SO much easier then taking the train with luggage and possible multiple changes etc

The journey time between Glasgow and Southampton Airports is only 1hour 15 mins or so

Would ALWAYS be my preferred option personally

Having flown between Southampton and Glasgow & Edinburgh MANY times, I think flying from Scotland to the South Coast of England is SO much easier then taking the train with luggage and possible multiple changes etc

The journey time between Glasgow and Southampton Airports is only 1hour 15 mins or so

I think the OP stated that he wanted to take advantage of taking more luggage than the airlines permit.

It's the fear of flying I'm just not good at it so it was much less pressure driving down not stressful are all which I was surprised about !

I have driven from Oxfordshire (when I lived there) to various parts of the Highlands for holidays with friends, and it was a long drive. If we left South Oxfordshire by 7am, we'd normally get to the Glasgow area around lunchtime. This was usually with two drivers doing 2-3hrs and then swapping. Now Oxford to Southampton is about 1.5hrs IF and a BIG if, the A34 is okay...

I'd say Glasgow to Southampton is more realistically about 8 hours plus stops. That would allow for short delays. If you leave early (depending on which side of Glasgow you live) you should be down at a hotel in Southampton late afternoon, to rest and then have a meal. ONLY do it if you can share driving. I once had to drive from Ullapool back to Oxfordshire on my own, I psyched myself up and did it, but it was exhausting and I was a LOT younger then (gosh 15 years seems a long time ago!)

I now live near York, and York to Southampton is 5 hours plus stops, plus delays...