Viking China

2tsquared

Maddie

Just taking our trip as an example--we did get the Viking air (did the custom) but on our flight from Chicago to Shanghai, I would guess close to 1/3 to 1/2 of the plane was Viking people and I am sure not all or even a majority used the custom option.. I think Viking makes the arrangements with the airlines. Ours was United. I think Viking makes the arrangements based on certain take off points like Chicago, LA, etc. I am sure there will be others on your flight to China. I was surprised---I had no idea how many groups started out together and I would venture it was around 10 different groups.

Well - see - that's just it! Going back a few posts when I first brought up the subject, (see #3217 - p.161)I had originally THOUGHT I would be on United. When I told him I was leaving from Los Angeles, he just volunteered, "oh, we use United routing for LA," and he was SO CERTAIN that it was United, I just figured well - there are only so many united options out of LAX, so why pay the $50? You go from LA to San Francisco, and on to Shanghai. I even had the irrational idea that my friends from the East Coast would be routed through San Francisco - and we would meet up and fly over the Pacific together. (and I was hoping to cobble together Economy Plus seating.)

Yikes! They put my roommate on American, through Chicago. Her parents, leaving from the same east coast gateway, on Uniited through Chicago, and her sister, leaving from the Carolinas, through Toronto (probably through Air Canada.) It almost seems spiteful, doesn't it? All's well that ends well for them however - they coughed up the $200 ($50 each for the four of them) and all got routed together through Chicago on United.

Me? Surprise! They put me on Delta (my personal nemesis, but that is another story) and routed me through Tokyo.

Four reservation numbers, four different routings. The lesson? If you want to be together, pay upfront and save the stress. My friends had to make a lot of phone calls - Piney10 had the right idea: take control right from the start.

I am still in the lonely hearts club out of LAX. Isn't anyone going my way?

Maddle

Turtle06

We did get the flights we wanted although I like to avoid O'Hare like the plague since I have always had trouble flying there. So we got a flight to San Francisco and then found out that VIking had changed it despite the custom air. We called our travel agent and were going to go back to the San Francisco departure (which they would have done, it is just that I guess most people were routed through Chicago) but my husband discovered it took less time to fly through Chicago (a lot less). So we did it--and it was probably the most seamless flgiht we had. Everything went well on all flights. The Economy Plus was so worth it--much more than paying thousands of dollars for business class which we would not (and did not) do.

Maddie

I also think Viking buys bulk at a certain time and gets what is available. I am sure people will be on your flight. I found that only one other person commented on this Viking blog that was on our trip but had no idea how many trips they plan for the same departure date. I am sure there will be others on your flight.

Piney10 - I'm sure there will be other Viking clients on the LAX flight...I'm not too shy, so I'll keep my eyes open. Hopefully they will have their red stickers on early!

What I am really hoping to find out is what routing other clients received from LAX - not necessarily on the same date. I just want to know if this [Delta reservation] is typical, or unusual. (Especially since the agent was just so emphatic about them using United.)

You did the right thing securing custom air. I may yet call them again on Monday and ask about the possibilities - but I won't pay the increase in fare that the air department said would be necessary.

Maddle

Turtle06

The Economy Plus was so worth it--much more than paying thousands of dollars for business class which we would not (and did not) do.

Were you able to deal directly with United to arrange economy plus seats, or did Viking handle that since they'd booked your flights? If the latter, did you have to pay Viking a service charge beyond the $50 for "custom air"?

Thanks again for all the info you've been posting!

Thanks.

We were on another section of the wall in February. Only one path there, and it had both types of steps on it.

We are looking forward to seeing the section that is part of the Viking tour.

How crowded was the wall when you were there?

It was not all that crowded when we were there but that could be because China was controlling how many tourists were in the country before the Beijing Olympics. Also they had had the massive earthquake earlier that year and a lot of people canceled their tours as a result.

ReturnCruiser: thanks for the Internet advice. Can you also tell us please which of the Viking itineraries you did, and whether you'd recommend the trip, what you liked and didn't like?

In other words, for those, like me, considering a land tour/river cruise in China with Viking, do you recommend it (why, why not)? Any tips?

Thanks in advance for any information! (and from anyone else, too.)

Lots of activity on this thread today! Turtles, on another thread here at Cruise Critic, the River and Canal Cruises thread, the posters have given the impression that, in China, Viking is the most respected river cruise line. They seem to feel that Viking gets the best seats, the closest bus parking, the first place in line everywhere. There is no single post that I can quote from or refer you to but this is the impression I got over reading for a couple of months. I do not think Viking has that great a reputation in Europe, but you asked about China. Also, I did the Imperial Jewels two years ago and thought it was great. Every trip is apparently a little different in the details so you cannot count on your trip being just like the last one you heard about. We went from Shanghai to Beijing and were glad we did that direction. The Shanghai days are not as strenuous as the Beijing days. I would not have wanted to deal with jet lag (the lag was not too bad but we did miss a bit of sleep on the way over) and Beijing at the same time. The days on the boat were more restful so we were ready for Beijing when we arrived. Neither side of the boat was better, as far as I know, because we stayed on top when there was something to see. We did not spend much time in our rooms.

As far as access to certain locations, our bus went right up to the front, at least in Xian for the Terra Cotta wariiors and the Great Wall (although the place they took us at the Great Wall was somewhat crowded but our guide advised that the crowd was not as bad as most places).

One other point which I thought was important. I tend to take my hair dryer with me (a lightweight one at 1/2 lb.) but if I had known would have left it at home. Unlike the dryers in US and most Euiropean hotels (especially the ones like vacuum cleaners attached to the bathroom walls), the hair dryers were top quality and were strong with various speeds. They were not large but did the job well. That was true at the hotels we stayed in (Westin Bund in SHanghai, the ship, Lhasa Four POints SHeraton, Kempinski Xian, and the China World Beijing). Wish I had known beforehand--I would have left mine at home. Everyone is different and may like their own, but as a hair dryer aficionado, the hotel hair dryers were excellent!

... but if I had known would have left it at home... the hair dryers were top quality and were strong with various speeds... but as a hair dryer aficionado, the hotel hair dryers were excellent!

There's a half pound or so saved. Thanks.

Now, here is a new question - when people say "we took two suitcases" do they mean two each? or ONE EACH plus ONE for their roomie/spouse (makes two.)

I see a lot of posts that are not clear to me - as I will be traveling alone at the start - but I have gleaned that the intra-China luggage weight restriction is not as strict as indicated by Viking.

At first I thought I could bring two myself and keep them lightweight - then more space/weight allowance for any purchases for the return trip to US. (My girlfriend can make her own choice - maybe she will only want a backpack and then it won't matter. Hah - as if.) When I read the Viking material again, it seems that we are only allowed ONE checked bag intra-China limited to 44 lbs.

If it makes a difference, I will be going on Imperial Jewels, Shanghai to Beijing.

Thanks so very much for all of the input. I am so much more confident about this trip because of all of the information available here.

Maddle

Now, here is a new question - when people say "we took two suitcases" do they mean two each? or ONE EACH plus ONE for their roomie/spouse (makes two.)

I see a lot of posts that are not clear to me - as I will be traveling alone at the start - but I have gleaned that the intra-China luggage weight restriction is not as strict as indicated by Viking.

At first I thought I could bring two myself and keep them lightweight - then more space/weight allowance for any purchases for the return trip to US. (My girlfriend can make her own choice - maybe she will only want a backpack and then it won't matter. Hah - as if.) When I read the Viking material again, it seems that we are only allowed ONE checked bag intra-China limited to 44 lbs.

If it makes a difference, I will be going on Imperial Jewels, Shanghai to Beijing.

Thanks so very much for all of the input. I am so much more confident about this trip because of all of the information available here.

Maddle

I was recently on this trip with a friend. We took one carry on and one checked bag(44 lbs) each.

Check with your airline as to whether you can bring two checked bags home.

I aw that people only took one checked in bag. That is what we did. As far as the 44 lbs, all of the bags are usually put together and weighed as a group (for your individual tour group) and if a little over should not matter. I did not see anyone in our group at least that checked in two bags. There seemed to be no limit on carry on and I am a pretty bad abuser. Never had one problem on that. For those who go to Lhasa, there is more of a problem on the poundage of the checked in bags due to the altitude.

We never seen the luggage get weighed anywhere on the trip but when we got to the airport to check in on the way home they weighed the luggage and my friend was 2 or 3 lbs over and she had to repack her bags before she could check in.

I did take one checked in bag with another bag inside folded to use for two checked in bags upon return to US and I am glad we did since we did buy some things on the trip. Internationally you can usually bring two checked bags but in China we were told only to do one bag.

Maddle

We went on Sept 29th Imperial Treasures.

My wife and I each took 1 large suitcase (each with a folding rolling bag inside) and 1 carry on each.

We took disposable clothes, older out of style and left with our room attendant with a note in Chinese explaining for her to give to someone who could use them along with her gratuity. We felt this would make room for more purchases.

We took the trip (Beijing to Shanghai), since we were told shopping was better in Shanghai. We new we could take 4 50# suitcases home. So we prepared.

They check all the luggage on Viking's intra-China flights together. Our guide, Iowa, told us not to worry and as long as we supported the economy of China, he would take care of it. We had 4 50 pound suitcases each and silk rug as well as 4 carry-ons all filled with Terra Cotta warriors as well as other junk!

If you have a wifi enabled phone like an iPhone, use Skype to make free calls when you get to a wifi connection

Also some Quick Tips:

(Pack some small items that come in handy)

Portable luggage scale (about $10)

Traveling alarm clock (or use one on iPhone)

Pack a couple of cheap extension cords and 3-in-1 adapters(never enough AC outlets to charge everything) (to be left behind)

Super Glue, Duct Tape & 2 part epoxy .... be prepared!

Ace Bandages, Pepto Bismo and medicine, extra reading glasses Magic Markers, pens.

We took 5 packs of rain ponchos from dollar store(2 for a $1) I gave them free to friends on cruise.... I could of paid for my cruise if I had a case of them (LOL)!

SD cards, batteries ( I even carry a second cheap digital camera and at least 1 SD per day.) If camera is stolen or lost, you only loose that 1 days pictures... not the entire cruise!

I number SD Cards 1-25 and have a sheet of paper with same numbers and a line so I can fill in where each SD card was used.

We pack a folding suitcase in each suitcase to put dirty clothes in and leave room for souvenirs.

Detergent in Zip Lock bags to do washables in room.

Pack several size Zip lock bags

I take a separate file folder with info about excursions, etc for each port. Later I empty pockets into them every day with receipts, tickets, postcards etc. from each day.

I also vacuum pack clothes (SpaceBags) and when we are ready to repack pack small shot glasses etc inside cloths and borrow maids vacuum and reduce to smaller size, and keeps in odors.

Take a list of addresses and contacts to send post cards and to call in case of emergency. Have neighbors and friends numbers in case they need to turn off alarm or other emergency. Pre-address postcards to save time and write on plane or during down time.

Take business cards or print personal cards with your contact info... easier than trying to find a piece of paper and pen to write your email and contact info for all your new friends!

I notify all Credit card companies with list of countries we are visiting!

Make sure you and spouse are taking credit cards with different numbers... if one is stolen and canceled (make photocopies) the others are still usable!

Take a unlocked quad band phone and buy a China sim card for it. Incoming calls are free! We always use it on deck after re-boarding ship to call US... normally morning in US!

Outgoing calls are $0.35 per minute to US. (Give that number to friends and credit card companies in case of emergency.)

When returning, we dispose of ponchos, and other weight not valuable enough to return to US!

We also carry some bill of ladens from FedEx with billing information completed..... just in case.

some picture are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/romeosc/ShibaozhaiTemple?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/romeosc/YuGardensShanghai?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/romeosc/ShanghaiMuseum?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/romeosc/IowaPerforms?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/romeosc/JingzhouVikingSchool?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/romeosc/WuGourge?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/romeosc/XianZoo?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/romeosc

Hi Jackie - welcome to Cruise Critic and this AMAZINGLY long thread. You kind of have to slog through it, but there are so many nuggets of information, it's worth it. Lots of helpful posters - past present and future cruisers.

You are lucky to be going in the fall!

Maddle

Thanks Maddie, I was on this site, 5 years ago when we did West Med cruise, and met some great people on the cruise that dont live far from me here in Ohio, and 5 years later we remain good friends.....

I am looking forward to the trip, its my mom's 70th this year and this is what we are doing to celebrate =)

So to sum up (please correct me if your experience is different, or if I misunderstood) for one individual passenger:

You go over with one checked bag - up to 50 lbs, with or without a secondary bag packed inside. (subject to weight allowance of individual airlines.) and one carry-on bag and one personal item.

You can check one bag intra-China, which is limited to 44 lbs, >>not so very strict on the weight, but strict on the count.<< QUESTION - is it strict on the count?

You can take what you can carry onto the intra-China airplanes, but NO liquids whatsoever - so that little liquid baggie has to go into the checked bag.

QUESTION - but you can carry on more than one bag onto intra-China flights - including the auxiliary bag that was in the first suitcase?

On the way home, assuming your allowance is 50 lbs per checked bag, and assuming your allowance is two checked bags per passenger - you can put all the stuff you schlepped as carry-on intra-China into the second [checked] bag (that you brought along in the first checked bag or acquired in China) and pick it up in the US (or whereever you home might be.) and again carry on your carry-on luggage and your one personal item.

Did I get it right?

[Aside - I don't see why my husband accuses me of overthinking these things. LOL]

Maddle

PS - Romeosc - LOVE the packing list - Thanks!

I don't know what the "official" policy is but I took a small roll-on and a large bag as a carry on in addition to my one checked bag (mine was generally over 44 lbs). I did bring toiletries in 3 oz. or less in a plastic bag which I showed to them prior to going through security. On our third flight, they took my nail polish and hand sanitizer away. Others in our group kept the plastic bag in their carryon (including nail polish) and that was never touched. Go figure! But we were told that China had the same toiletry issue as the US. Hope this helps.

Did you have to remove shoes for security on the intra-China flights?

No.

We were worried about the 1 44 # bag limit on intra-China flights, but our guide, gave us 5 tags and said as long as we supported Chinese economy, he would take care of it. They gave us ribbons with your room number on it and THEY checked all baggage. We did hand carry the silk rug, because of cost!

We had two sisters with their traveling companions who managed to check in 5 suitcases each while on the inter China flights. As far as the rest of the bus knew they never paid for any excess luggage costs. By the time you added the companions 1 large bag plus their carry on you can just imagine the luggage. Mind you they flew first class home so they managed to get all of their luggage home from China. These people were shopaholics and the rest of the bus was invariably waiting for them to come back to the bus so we could go back to the ship or continue on with the tour. We packed an extra suitcase inside of our suitcases when we flew over and used it when we came home. We ended up with 4 checked bags for the two of us as well as our carry on.

I just booked the Viking trip, China's Cultural Delights, leaving March 28, 2011.

Anyone else going?

Sharon

You should start a roll call in the roll section and see if it gets any traffic.

We actually had about 4 people posting on our roll call (representing more than a dozen people) and we have all now met here on the Viking Century Sun. Also Viking now does Roll Calls on Facebook -- if you really want to announce to the world using your real name when you are going to be away from home).

Weather has been warm and overcast and we have had a couple of rainy days.

Internet is extremely iffy while sailing from port to port. Yahoo and hot mail seem to be the least reliable. Folks on AOL and Gmail seem to be having less trouble. The connection was great in Jiujang this morning but not our first port out of Nanjing (only 'cultural delights' gets down this far; all other cruise 2010 do only Chongqing to Wuhan).

So far, we are really enjoying this trip. It really shatters expectations if you have never been here before.

Archived