Viking China

2tsquared

I also made a reservation for Made in China and told them I wanted the duck. We will be 2 so they will have a half duck for us. Even though my reservation is a full 2 months away I could not get the time I wanted. - got 8:00 instead of 7:30. I am assuming I will not need a dress as I will not have one with me. This is a great forum.:)

You certainly won't! I haven't worn a dress (or a skirt) in about 15 years. :)

We were two as well; we had a half duck, and 2 or 3 other dishes (I can't recall exactly, we wanted to sample different things). It was plenty of food!

Hhmm..you guys are getting me interested in the duck, although hearing that a reservation for 7:30 is taken two months in advance, I'm a little scared!! Oh well. Anyway, I'm not crazy about duck, but my husband loves it. So, could you please refresh my memory - about how much does a dinner cost? (I'm not sure if we'll share a duck or half duck or what! We aren't huge eaters, and don't order beer, wine, etc., if that will help in giving me a ballpark cost for a dinner!

The hotel quoted me CNY158 + 15%. That seems to be just under $30.00 for 1/2 duck which she says is enough for 2. I assume we will get a couple of other things, maybe a glass of wine so that will probably double that or a little more. I do not think that's high for what is supposed to be a great restaurant.:)

Thanks, Pilialoha. The cost certainly sounds reasonable. So you emailed or called the hotel and asked them to make a reservation for you? (I was wondering how to make a reservation!) Which hotel are you in? We're at Westin Chaoyang.

Thanks for your help.

With all the wonderful things to see and do in China this will sound really whiney but did anyone notice if there were a lot of bugs in China. I mean flying bugs like mosquitoes etc. Did anyone bring DEET. We've never worried on an ocean cruise ship for obvious reasons but the river is probably a different matter. We are not going until Nov 3.

With all the wonderful things to see and do in China this will sound really whiney but did anyone notice if there were a lot of bugs in China. I mean flying bugs like mosquitoes etc. Did anyone bring DEET. We've never worried on an ocean cruise ship for obvious reasons but the river is probably a different matter. We are not going until Nov 3.

On the advice of our travel clinic, we brought DEET wipes to use when we were on the river in May if needed. They weren't. (No bug problems anywhere on our trip.) Hard to believe you'd have a problem in November.

We went in August. We brought DEET with us and never used it. Never saw a single mosquito.

Dear BBallBlue: Quote from a couple of pages ago. "Do we fry Charter or is it a scheduled China Air (??) flight.? Do we have the same luggage restriction as we would have on a regular inter-country flight 44 lbs and 11 lbs in carry-on.?"

Please tell me that "Fry" was a typo. Just kidding, typo or not, it seemed pretty funny. (Of course, in this age of PC, some may not agree.)

With the system down a few days I was having post-reading withdrawals!!!!

Sorry as I know this was certainly addressed earlier but the search function appears not to be fully functional for the thread. Which night would you make the reservation for Made in China.... we are doing the September 19, 2011 Roof of the World Shanghai to Beijing.

Also, again I am sure this was discussed but how is the wine on board?

We are staying 3 nights before in Shanghai so are interested in restaurant recommendations. Also, did anyway do a side excursion to Hungzhou and if so do you have a company to recommend?

Hello all,

I'm on the 8/30/12 cruise and have been following all the posts with great interest. We jsut got our hotel assignments and we are staying at the Shangri-la in Shanghai - I just pulled this directly off the hotel's website, take it as you will!

"Many mid-range and top-end restaurants include their own service charge that varies. Officially, tipping is considered inappropriate and is discouraged. "

Happy cruising to all!

Hello all,

I'm on the 8/30/12 cruise and have been following all the posts with great interest. We jsut got our hotel assignments and we are staying at the Shangri-la in Shanghai - I just pulled this directly off the hotel's website, take it as you will!

"Many mid-range and top-end restaurants include their own service charge that varies. Officially, tipping is considered inappropriate and is discouraged. "

Happy cruising to all!

I believe that is the accepted norm. Tourism is a fairly new thing in China and if that is the tradition then it should be respected. Asian nations have this cultural thing about saving face and different things offend them than offend us.

Greetings All.... my wife and I are booked on the China Cultural Delights tour starting in Shanghai 3/27/2012, ending in Bejing 4/13/12. We're on the Viking Emerald. Just wondering if there's anyone out there who has been on this same cruise and ship recently, who would be willing to share their experience with us and answer a few questions. We would appreciate the opportunity to touch base with a fellow traveller :) Please e-mail me at: ballfamily1978@gmail.com. Thanks in advance for the help!

Greetings All.... my wife and I are booked on the China Cultural Delights tour starting in Shanghai 3/27/2012, ending in Bejing 4/13/12. We're on the Viking Emerald. Just wondering if there's anyone out there who has been on this same cruise and ship recently, who would be willing to share their experience with us and answer a few questions. We would appreciate the opportunity to touch base with a fellow traveller :) Please e-mail me at: ballfamily1978@gmail.com. Thanks in advance for the help!

As you can see from this thread, many of us have been on the Emerald since Viking started using her earlier this year. If you post your questions here, people will answer them.

Is anyone else having search issues on the site?

I am trying to see if the Roof of the World tour that starts in Shanghai includes a trip to the Yu Yuan Gardens and the Jade Buddha temple. We are there a few days in advance and are exploring seeing those sites if not included in the Shanghai tour.

Is anyone else having search issues on the site?

I am trying to see if the Roof of the World tour that starts in Shanghai includes a trip to the Yu Yuan Gardens and the Jade Buddha temple. We are there a few days in advance and are exploring seeing those sites if not included in the Shanghai tour.

Search feature is temporarily disabled.

On the China Jewels tour, we did see Yu Yuan Gardens but did not see the Jade Buddha temple.

I have read not to drink the water in China, and to keep your eyes and mouth closed when showering to prevent GI problems. How about swimming in the hotel pools on the "emerald" tour? How safe is the water in the pool?

if the pool is chlorinated, then it is not a problem. The chlorine kills the germs.

We are on the Oct 19 Shanghai to Beijing cruise. We arrive in Shanghai at 9:40 a.m. I have been in touch with a tour guide trying to arrange an afternoon trip to the Synagogue and Jewish Ghetto -normally the trip is in the morning. He is willing to do an afternoon trip if we can get more people. If you have any interest for this tour please let me know. Again this would be on Oct 19 - our arrival day.

I went to the local Kaiser travel clinic. They suggest shots for Hep A, Hep B and Typhoid. Tetanus if you are not up:) to date. hey have also given me Rx for antibiotics and pain meds. My pharmacy is ready.

Thanks everyone for all the good ideas.

I believe that is the accepted norm. Tourism is a fairly new thing in China and if that is the tradition then it should be respected. Asian nations have this cultural thing about saving face and different things offend them than offend us.

Hotel tipping is not necessary, but your guide will tell you that daily tour guides as well as shipboard tips are expected.

Hello all,

I'm on the 8/30/12 cruise and have been following all the posts with great interest. We jsut got our hotel assignments and we are staying at the Shangri-la in Shanghai -

/quote]

Were these the Viking booked hotels? Is it normal to find out the hotels a year in advance? If not, then when does one normally find out the hotels?

Archived