Miami Hotel "deals?"

Jason82

So my wife and I are cruising out of Miami at the end of January. I am wondering if I am better off booking a hotel now or if I can count on much lower prices closer to departure? It'll be our first time in Miami, and I'm not sure how hotel prices/availability will trend during that season.

Without using a discount site, don't expect "deals" in Miami in winter. Be careful, because searching for those bargains can get you a hotel in a scary neighborhood. Your first time in Miami, I'd choose one of the many mentioned here downtown . Figure $225 plus .

Lastminutetravel.Com has a great cancellation policy. Let's you look at the blind discount sites closer to the date. Just don't expect much to choose from .

Unless you are arriving late and just want a room skip the airport hotels and choose to stay downtown - Hampton Inn Mary Brickell, Doubletree, Hyatt, Intercontinental and various Marriotts are often suggested.

I would definitely recommend not waiting for a last minute bargain. It will be high season in Miami and hotels are expensive and booked full. I would find one at a location and price you're semi-comfortable with and make sure to book a refundable rate. The cheapest rates listed on the various websites are typically not refundable so be careful.

Depending what your tastes and budget are, I find that price points of the higher end properties don't fluctuate all that much. Low to mid level hotels can have dramatically higher prices during peak times. I like to splurge a little on hotels. If I have to pay $300+ to stay at a Holiday Inn or $450 to stay at the W, Hyatt Regency, etc. I'm going to come up with that extra $150...

So my wife and I are cruising out of Miami at the end of January. I am wondering if I am better off booking a hotel now or if I can count on much lower prices closer to departure? It'll be our first time in Miami, and I'm not sure how hotel prices/availability will trend during that season.

Thanks for the responses.

I suspected prices wouldn't drop much, given all us northerners will be seeking warmth.

Since we're arriving early, booked the Catalina and might as well sit on the beach :cool:

Good call! I love the hotel and the location. Also, free drinks at Happy Hour! Cool rooftop pool.