Thoughts on Pacsafe backpack to protect agains pickpockets?

The Other Tom

Carabiners are really a "wonderful thing" for many travelers. They seem to have all kinds of uses and we never leave home without at least 2 or 3 attached to our carry-on.

Hank:p

Same here. My daypack that I sometimes take if I'm doing an active vacation has 3 always attached. Another thing I use on my luggage is a split-ring keychain. It takes some work to get that split-ring threaded between the two zipper pulls, and just a much work to get it unthreaded. It's my casual theft-deterrent device. AND, it serves to keep the zippers from unzipping if caught on something in the airplane hold...

Same here. My daypack that I sometimes take if I'm doing an active vacation has 3 always attached. Another thing I use on my luggage is a split-ring keychain. It takes some work to get that split-ring threaded between the two zipper pulls, and just a much work to get it unthreaded. It's my casual theft-deterrent device. AND, it serves to keep the zippers from unzipping if caught on something in the airplane hold...

Slidergirl...could you Amazon picture some of the things you mentioned in this thread? TIA.

LOL..here in DTW I should probably have my handbag just as well equipped as I would for an overseas vacation!

Edited by buggins0402

Slidergirl...could you Amazon picture some of the things you mentioned in this thread? TIA.

LOL..here in DTW I should probably have my handbag just as well equipped as I would for an overseas vacation!

I have no idea how to "amazon picture" something. Sorry

BUT, if you go on there and look for Nite Ize S-Biners - those are the ones someone else mentioned on the thread. My screw lock carabiners look like those colorful ones on Amazon, but are 2" instead of 3". I buy mine at my local REI.

Also, I had to go to my local locksmith store today to get new batteries installed on my car key - they had the little locking carabiners there, too. So, look at your locksmith, too. I bet Walmart or Home Depot has them in the key section, too.

Just as an aside, I accidentally changed the combination on the padlock on my carry on, and couldn't get the lock undone. I tried the pen-through-the-zip-teeth thing that I've seen on YouTube, and it worked very well. I opened the bag and rezipped it without opening the lock, and without damaging the zip. It was slightly easier than my normal unlocking and unzipping steps! :p So I don't count on the padlock as being an anti-theft device any more.

BUT, if you go on there and look for Nite Ize S-Biners - those are the ones someone else mentioned on the thread. My screw lock carabiners look like those colorful ones on Amazon, but are 2" instead of 3". I buy mine at my local REI.

Also, I had to go to my local locksmith store today to get new batteries installed on my car key - they had the little locking carabiners there, too. So, look at your locksmith, too. I bet Walmart or Home Depot has them in the key section, too.

The S-biners come in many sizes. The small 1.25" work really well for purse zippers and if you get the same color as your bag they are not very noticeable. REI and other sports goods places sell those and regular carabiners in many sizes. Large regular ones are good to attach to your toiletries bag so you can hang it from a towel bar when there isn't much room by the sink.

Thanks, that helps...I was trying to figure out sizes.

I also bought my pac safe off Amazon. I have a neck and a money belt. I wear the neck one to /from airport then put everything in the safe. I wear a cross purse bag with a very thick strap. I have gone to the extreme of twist tying the zippers together, lol. I also zip tie my suitcase cause i don't lock it.

I have no idea what half of these devises are, but if they are some kind of padlocking can't see how they can protect belongings when a backpack is slit with a knife, which is what often happens.

Pacsafe bags are made with a steel mesh sandwiched in the fabric, and wire cable in the handle. A casual swipe of a knife won't slit them, it would require clipping away with a heavier cutter. The carabiners are useful to thwart the unzipping sort of pickpocket.

Edited by lisiamc

lisiamc

Thanks for your explanation, but they still do not detract from a thief who will look at a backpack with glee. I have also seen them just snatched off somebody's shoulder.

However, I think too much is made about pickpockets and as I said in my previous post, awareness is the best deterrent. I see so many tourists in London and other European cities who are so careless with their belongings. I have often told them to take more care and pay attention.

About a year ago my OH and self were close to the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin when an Eastern European women approached us to sign a petition.

I immediately shushed her away and told my partner to be aware of any pickpockets. Fortunately, we didn't lose anything as we knew what she was up to. Distract us whilst a colleague robs us. We never go away thinking we will be robbed as we don't carry very much with us and not really anything of value. I have a cross body back with about 20 Euros in cash and CC andOH carries another CC in an inside, difficult to access pocket.

From what I read on these forums many people seem to create a mountain out of a molehill and over think it.

Here's the problem I saw years ago in Rome with what I assume was a Pacsafe (or something similar) strap on a woman's handbag. Two thieves on a Vespa rode by her, and the one in the back grabbed her bag and tried to slash the strap with a knife; when that didn't work, they rode off, but not before the woman with the bag was dragged off the sidewalk and into the street, where she was injured by the fall and nearly run over by a car. I suspect that carrying any bag across the body with it away from the street side would make this kind of theft less likely. As to the petition thing, this is all over Europe right now, and usually starts with somebody asking (in English) if you would like to sign a petition against drugs, followed by a request that you contribute money. That's the best outcome, if you fall for this scam; the worst is that your wallet gets lifted while you're signing the phony petition.

Edited by Langoustine

Langoustine

Yes, you are right about the petition scam it does seem to be in many large European cities. Funnily enough, I don't hear about it here in London, but we have a vast underground system to attract the pickpockets instead.

I had read about it a lot on Tripadvisor on the Paris Forum, so when somebody tried it on my OH we were immediately aware. Many of these scams throughout Europe are operated by organised Romanian criminal gangs. In London the police have tried hard to eradicate them and it has worked to some extent.

As I am born and bred in a large city I suppose it makes you more alert and more suspicious of people, but certainly not paranoid like I read on these forums.

The entire premise mystifies me, why would anyone stop for a second to consider participating in a political process (a petition) in a country other than their own? Shouldn't the mere fact that the petitioner is speaking in a foreign language (foreign to the country they are in) be a HUGE tip off?

Edited by euro cruiser

euro raiser

These petitions are normally supposedly to help disabled children, deaf people etc. Something to pull on the heart strings. They ones with the clip board normally have some English.

When we were approached we were the ones stopped. We were waiting for the guide of our walking tour when we were approached, but immediately told the woman to go away. As I constantly repeat, you need to be aware and have your wits about you.

I also bought my pac safe off Amazon. I have a neck and a money belt. I wear the neck one to /from airport then put everything in the safe. I wear a cross purse bag with a very thick strap. I have gone to the extreme of twist tying the zippers together, lol. I also zip tie my suitcase cause i don't lock it.

Me too

Zip ties for the suitcase in various unusual colors in case someone opens it and tries to replace it

I use heavy duty safety pins to attach my travel bag zippers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I own it's cousin, the Pacsafe Venturesafe 20L Adventure Day Pack. It's the perfect day pack for use in Europe. I use it on tours when I need to take along more than what will fit in my hidden pouch. I believe its a bit of overkill for just walking around Rome when all you're carrying is cash and credit cards. I use a camera pouch attached to my belt for my photo needs.

I respect your opinion, but hearing fellow cruisers relate their experience of having their pack sliced with a razor and losing valuable possessions is enough reason to consider a PacSafe product.

For me, a backpack is the easiest type of pack to use and if it's a PacSafe I don't need to worry about it being on my back. It's secure.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

I love my PacSafe backpack it is so very comfortable compared to a regular type of backpack. Don't even realize at times that I am wearing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess if you are a man, you are "doomed" to have to carry a daypack if you have to carry anything...

I am a fan of Pacsafe bags: they are good quality, and their antitheft system does a good job. Imho, its worth buying and paying the price for extra security, especially when travelling. I have looked at Travelon bags, and watch some video reviews of them, and find they are not as good quality, and their antitheft mechanisms break easily, which defeats their purpose.

That being said, I still do not fully rely on them for theft prevention, and always presume I have an ordinary bag, not a Pacsafe. I still use common sense when I'm in a crowd, on transit or in high theft area, and hold on to my bag, at the front, and try to be aware of my surroundings.

Pacsafe is not perfect, but its always my preference to have one, as thieves will go to easier targets. When I was in Rome, at the Trevi Fountain, there was a woman with a tote bag that was wide open, and no zipper closure! Even I spotted that!

I still stash my passport, extra money, and important documents or cards in a neck or waist pouch, even photoocopies (if the real ones are left in the safe on the ship or in the hotel).

Their RFID pockets are handy. I RFID proof my passport and all credit cards, even at home. Its scary how easily they can be scanned and the info stolen! I hate the "tapping" credit card feature.

In reference to "Slidergirl"s comment "I guess if you are a man, you are "doomed" to have to carry a daypack if you have to carry anything", that is not true now and men are not "doomed" to a daypack necessarily. Men carry cross-shoulder side bags now, and are so popular, they are referred to as "man-bags" for all ages, and some are even designer bags. Pacsafe has plenty of Unisex style bags. I just bought one called Intasafe Z250 in Slate Green. These are of minimalist, modern design, which I like. They also have more feminine styled bags as well, but I'm not fond of their current colors. Pacsafe even has a "Men's Bags and Accessories" category on their website.

Also, when in Europe, US, and Canada, many museums will ask you to check in your backpacks and other large bags. My advice would be to preferably carry a cross shoulder bag (men and women), even if you have a camera (Pacsafe has great camera bags/gear). If you have more to carry, suppliment it with a packable backpack that can be checked in if need be.

Of course, it may not be necessary to Pacsafe yourself up to the hilt. I do use their wallets, bags and backpacks. I do not use their luggage (Pacsafe has the pen-proof zippers). It all depends on where you go, and how you travel.

Edited by thebigbluesea

I am female, but I'm currently travelling with a Pacsafe Citysafe LS150. It's unisex, but looks rather like a manbag. I love it because it holds everything I need without being big, heavy or bulky. Since it's cross-body, it leaves my hands free, and gives me an easy, safe place to keep my iPad and my passport until I get to the ship, and when I go ashore it will hold anything I need for the day, short of a towel!

I usually don't see guys carrying "man bags" around, but I guess some do. My normal spotting of male humans in their environment has them with daypacks or the messenger bag (a la Timbuk2). I don't spend a lot of time looking at men, I guess.

Call me uneducated in the ways of manwear ;)