Carrying on wine on back to back

Shanafan

Yes, we did this on our only B2B. They may stop you so have both sea passes available. They can take two bottles away and deliver them to you on the last night of the first cruise. In our case they let all four bottles pass without question. YMMV.

Are you allowed to bring 4 bottles of wine onboard if you are doing a back to back cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. We always do and never been questioned about the extra bottles. As a backup I always print off the SeaPass for each leg. You never know with security.

It depends on security that day. The cruise line says yes but security may say no and hold 2 bottles. It happened to me once at Port Canaveral.

Yes but if they do hold them you will get them back on the last night of the first cruise

Edited by Bobal

Yes but if they do hold them you will get them back on the last night of the first cruise
One needs a clear definition of "they" who do the holding. In the US (and most other embarkation locations) the only security for carry-on is before entering the pier, and detained items are generally kept at the port for closed loop cruises. Since the detained item will never make it on the ship, it can not be returned / reclaimed until you are back on land. In the US all passengers, including B2Bs have to disembark at the end of every cruise, and shore detained items should be reclaimable at that time. Only if the "excess" wine is in checked luggage would it be likely to be detained on the ship. Chances are far greater on getting four bottles of wine through carry-on inspection (either by them never noticing it, or by you "talking it through" with two Set-Sail Passes) than it would be to have shore side inspection turn it over to Ship Security. But as always YMMV.

My wife and I and another couple did a b2b out of San Juan this April. Each couple had 4 bottles in our carryon. My wife and I went thru the scanner first and they asked about the wine and we showed them our b2b paperwork. Our friends, right behind us in line, were asked about the 4 bottles and they had the paperwork - took 2 and gave them the wine on the last night of the first leg. I have no idea why they changed the rule in 30 seconds.

One needs a clear definition of "they" who do the holding. In the US (and most other embarkation locations) the only security for carry-on is before entering the pier, and detained items are generally kept at the port for closed loop cruises. Since the detained item will never make it on the ship, it can not be returned / reclaimed until you are back on land. In the US all passengers, including B2Bs have to disembark at the end of every cruise, and shore detained items should be reclaimable at that time. Only if the "excess" wine is in checked luggage would it be likely to be detained on the ship. Chances are far greater on getting four bottles of wine through carry-on inspection (either by them never noticing it, or by you "talking it through" with two Set-Sail Passes) than it would be to have shore side inspection turn it over to Ship Security. But as always YMMV.

A ships employee checks the items in and they are held on the ship.

How's this for a thought.....

You take your 2 x bottles on for the 1st cruise.... maybe even 4.

Now.... you make your duty free purchases on the first cruise... it's delivered last night to your cabin. You now have a supply for cruise 2. On cruise 2 you do your duty free as wanted.

Or

You take 4 on (if allowed) and when you complete cruise 1, you debark for the day, and bring back your allowed 2 bottles for cruise 2. Plus you still have the duty free potential of cruise 1.

My last B2B was 2 years ago in APAC on ROS. The duty free scenario did work, though it was not intended at the time.

How's this for a thought.....

You take your 2 x bottles on for the 1st cruise.... maybe even 4.

Now.... you make your duty free purchases on the first cruise... it's delivered last night to your cabin. You now have a supply for cruise 2. On cruise 2 you do your duty free as wanted.

Or

You take 4 on (if allowed) and when you complete cruise 1, you debark for the day, and bring back your allowed 2 bottles for cruise 2. Plus you still have the duty free potential of cruise 1.

My last B2B was 2 years ago in APAC on ROS. The duty free scenario did work, though it was not intended at the time.

It's delivered on the last night of your 2nd cruise.

As said..... Last time was 2 years ago on Rhapsody. 1 year before that.

I would be suspicious that it will vary ship to ship. Plus.... you never know til you have a go.:)

Many other embarcation locations in Europe also have a scanner after you have gone through the checks at the pier. However, it's hit and miss whether they will be operating or not but certainly in Barcelona we have known them have a desk set up and take a note of the cabin number and if two people from the same cabin try to bring through more than two bottles they will keep the excess to one side. We have also seen them take bottles away when boarding Allure in Fort Lauderdale, to be returned at the end of the cruise.

No, they will return it after the first cruise. Everything has to be zeroed down at the end of a cruise.

For on board alcohol purchases just wait to purchase until the last evening when instead of holding it for you they just let you take it with you. The staff in the shops don't know that you are doing a B2B.

Good advice! I will try it. What do I have to lose, right?

Our onboard liquor purchase was delivered to our cabin on the last night of the second cruise.

oops sorry, I was referring to wine brought onboard (rather than bought onboard), which would be returned at the end of the first cruise. Having never purchased duty free onboard (as always have to fly somewhere and don't want to pack in luggage) I didn't realise this happened.

Edited by Bobal

Bear in mind that every port and every sailing is different. We have sailed three back to backs out of Port Canaveral since they allowed wine to be brought on board.

We always pack 2 bottles in my carry on and 2 in my wife's.. I have both Set sail pass ready to go, just in case.

In our experience, we have never even been asked ...just went right on thru.

Same thing in San Juan, fwiw.

Your mileage may vary, but be prepared, just in case.

UPDATE: We were only allowed two bottles of wine. They said we could ask for it the last day of the first cruise. No big deal but I hope our nice bottles of wine make it back into our hands at some point.

We also managed to be the first ones on the ship. Have a Merry Christmas all!

Edited by Shanafan

UPDATE: We were only allowed two bottles of wine. They said we could ask for it the last day of the first cruise. No big deal but I hope our nice bottles of wine make it back into our hands at some point.

Which port and ship was this?

This past Jan. & Feb we took 4 bottles and were allowed. They did ask for set sail pass for second cruise, which I had printed. This was Baltimore.