Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

TTS and Mysty: I had not thought about Ireland and the FLQ in Canada. I think we consider matters that we know first hand and look at those first. It seems important for good people to discus what is taking place in our world, even if they feel helpless. For me, the Cooler provides a place to speak our minds, read the opinions of others, and hopefully gain a bit of knowledge.

Thanks to Jeff for setting up this thread (and long before I came onboard)!

Sadly, I make mention the tragic events in France, Canada and the United States that occurred yesterday.

Good Afternoon Coolers,

Today I made her a bowl of spaghetti alle vongole and some focaccia - made in the pizza oven. She enjoyed it.

3B4E2010-A1F6-47E0-9E22-8A7113B0058B.jpg

E888D98C-2B98-4C8C-A6A2-84FBEBAB8963.jpg

Your wife is a lucky woman having you in the kitchen! Looks delicious, as always....

Penny

TTS and Mysty: I had not thought about Ireland and the FLQ in Canada. I think we consider matters that we know first hand and look at those first. It seems important for good people to discus what is taking place in our world, even if they feel helpless. For me, the Cooler provides a place to speak our minds, read the opinions of others, and hopefully gain a bit of knowledge.

Thanks to Jeff for setting up this thread (and long before I came onboard)!

Sadly, I make mention the tragic events in France, Canada and the United States that occurred yesterday.

I'm so pleased you enjoy the Cooler Penny. It is a safe place to post for all as long as they are genuine and honest and respect others and their opinions. Disagreeing need never be disrespectful. Well mostly! :D

We always have to question and soul-search before we join the rabble and fall into the trap of calling all by a crowd or government labels such as terrorist. One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter.

Add to the list Isreal that would not have been created had it not been through terrorism/freedom fighting.

This is terrible, terrible news, but the American people debate firearms control all the time but it seems that no price ever seems to great to convince the majority to insist on some sort of better control.

Firstly...J that meal looks incredible! Echo Penny's words about Wifey and add that you are also a lucky man with respect to her! :)

I am beginning to wonder now about the use of labels for killings. In the case of the situation in Edmonton it is being labelled as "terrorist related". But how much of this is driven by blood lust and not any kind of ideology? If the perpetrator is killed in the act a subsequent investigation will be looking for "terrorist leanings". What they discover is then seen through the "terrorist' filter because that is what they are looking for.

As to the "freedom fighter" versus "terrorist" designation I think the distinction is made based on the considered virtue of the cause. One would be considered a "freedom fighter" if the cause was deemed "just" and the other would be considered a "terrorist" if the cause was deemed "unjust". Like beauty, the distinction is in the eye of the beholder.

On the issue of self determination here in the UK I am sure everybody knows about the Scotland and Wales wishing to form separate states away from England but I wonder how many you know there is another Celtic nation in the UK that has it's own language (we have dual language town signs now just like Wales) and it's own name. Those of you that just come here for a visit will call it Cornwall but the nationalists call it Kernow.

No panic though as the pace of life down here is somewhat more relaxed than every where else. The Cornish have a word for it. Things happen "dreckly" down here which usually means anytime in the foreseeable future but not today!

Call your local builder to get a job done and you will here them say "I'll be there dreckly sir". At first it's irritating but after a while you slip into this very laid back style of living.

My point for all this is that just over a year ago we in the UK had a general election at a months notice. The response from the nationalists, (Mebyon Kernow is their name) was that it was a bit short notice for them and that they wouldn't bother putting any candidates out this time!

I guess if the revolution ever comes to Cornwall it will have to wait a while (several decades I would think) for us to get organised!!

However it is a lovely place, the cider is very good and the foods pretty good as well.

Peter

Peter....glad you decided to give the Cooler Bar another visit. We love "fresh blood" here but in a good way! Mostly no real blood letting happens here. :)

Cornwall sounds like a wonderful place! I think we all need more "laid back" and less "frenzied". And "dreckly" is my new favourite word! Is it a speeded up version of "directly"?

Peter....glad you decided to give the Cooler Bar another visit. We love "fresh blood" here but in a good way! Mostly no real blood letting happens here. :)

Cornwall sounds like a wonderful place! I think we all need more "laid back" and less "frenzied". And "dreckly" is my new favourite word! Is it a speeded up version of "directly"?

No it's a very slowed down version of directly. Just the one syllable instead of three but said quite slowly. So instead of di-rect-ly its just dreckly but take the same time to say it.

As one of neighbours would say "Tis a funny ole day tday, spec us ave sum rain dreckly". Just imagine this with a broad west of England accent and said quite slowly.

Interestingly we had a guy from Gran Cayman on local TV earlier this because apparently sailors from Cornwall (I believe the word Pirates was used here!) were their ancestors. I don't know how much luck he had but I don't think anybody denied the story!!

Peter

Penny, this is by way of introduction to my Cooler friends of who I really, really hope will be the next British PM. He isn't so well known outside the UK.

I don't agree with all his views but he would be an extraordinary leader.

If only, if only Jeff! I'll bet you catch my drift!!!!

If only, if only Jeff! I'll bet you catch my drift!!!!

The world is a very small place. I worked from a few offices along from his dad William Rees Mogg when he was editor of The Times many moons ago before Mr Thomson sold it to Mr Murdoch. This was when I tried my hand at doing "normal" jobs. I wasn't good at normal jobs and kept getting fired.

The next few months will be interesting in the UK. As everywhere. :)

Your pick for future PM seems like a very reasonable man with the patience to deal with confrontation with grace. With every candidate the voter must decide if they can live with the differences between their ideals and values and those of the prospective candidate. There are no perfect choices! To my mind a good leader has an open mind and does not try to influence the law based on their personal value system. For example I do not think I could hold my nose and vote for anyone running on an anti-abortion platform. That would be a deal breaker for me. Not saying your choice espouses that J! It is difficult to really know prior to the person taking office as to how sincere their campaign "promises" were. I could not chance it with an anti-abortion candidate though.

Hi M,

The reason why this man is unique ( imho ) is that he is a very highly principled man who never ever lies about his beliefs even knowing that some are unpopular. He is a religous man and was brough up by a annny who now looks after his children. He is the epitome of an English gent. At the same time he is of all MPs The Parliamentarian. He absolutely believes that the role of an MP and government is to carry out the stated wishes of the people. So he is the only one I would currently trust to be totally honest and direct, but sees himself firmly as the servant of the people. He is scrupulously honest and direct and logical. He flatters his opponents and is genuine, is extremely knowledgeable particularly with respect to historical perspectives of modern problems and challenges. He seems comparatively short of personal ambition but simply wishes to serve. He has turned down promotions so he can speak from the back benches and is therefore not restrained in being critical of his own party if he feels they are wrong. He is interested in the policy rather than the politics.

He is very quaint and holds extraordinarily old fashioned and traditional values.

In that case J, he is deserving of your vote! I hope that he gets to represent the Party so that you will have the chance to vote for him! I really think the whole party system should be rubbished! I would prefer to vote for my chosen candidate without any party affiliation. The newly elected person would then be required to convince the elected members of Parliament to support their policies and platforms. Each elected member would vote as their constituency dictated. No blocks of votes to support a party. Individuals supporting the will of their electorate.

M,

The greatest two defects of our system is (a) the whipping system and (b) the people have no say over who is PM. They say things like "I voted for Theresa May" but the only people that can are her constituents and they vote for her to be an MP not PM.

I guess it is better than many of the alternatives and we are lucky to have what we have.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do agree that our systems are the least of a whole bunch of evils J. However, the idea that card-carrying dues-paying party members are choosing the party leadership candidate sticks in my craw! And party fund-raising comes with all kinds of sticky strings attached. Having to hold your nose to vote for an unsatisfactory local MP candidate in order to put the party leader into the PM position is also unsavoury! However, as you said, we are lucky to have what we have.

The Parliamentary System is not perfect but it is darn good. I used to be so very proud of system in the U.S. I no longer feel so proud. When senators and congressmen are beholden to K Street rather than their districts, something is wrong. Case in point...lobbyists for the NRA. I am speaking for no one else here folks, just myself.