Compare NZ South Island with.....

I would say it is a bit like the front country around Denver- plains like the Denver area on the east side of the island, climbing to the peaks, like the Rockies. Huge lake (Queenstown area) sort of like Lake Tahoe area of California in the mountains. West coast is back down to the ocean, but has Milford Sound, sort of like the west coast of Norway.

Glaciers on the west coast side. The communities can have a very European look, particularly Christchurch. It is beautiful over all. I wouldn't skip it because "you have seen it before, elsewhere".

Edited by CruiserBruce

Honestly it depends on what you want to do.

The advantage of the north island is probably going to places like Rotorua and the waitomo caves. Distances aren't as long.

The South Island is probably more scenic like Queenstown and fiordland but takes longer to get around as some areas are remote. It's also less populated.

Pros and cons to both. [emoji3]

Depending on how long you are here you could do both islands. There's the cook strait ferry and it doesn't take long to fly between the two islands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by chesterbear

Thank you chesterbear.:)

I understand the different experiences on the 2 islands, both are appealing, but don't think we can manage both. I have seen beautiful scenery, but have never experienced Maori culture or thermal reserves. Such a tough decision for a once in a lifetime trip. :o

Having seen spectacular mountains else where you could consider going right to the top of the North Island.

I assume your cruise will include a port call at Tauranga, so you can see Rotorua (Maori culture, thermals) from that port stop.

Hopefully the weather will co-operate and you will also see some of Fiordland from the ship.

You could head north and visit places such as:

Cape Reinga;

90 mile Beach;

Kerikeri,

Bay of Islands (Hole in the rock; Russell, Waitangi Treaty grounds);

Hokianga harbour.

Back to Auckland for day ferry trips to:

Tiritiri Matangi,

Rangitoto,

Waiheke.

That would be about 10 days worth, taking your time.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions, very much appreciated.:)

I understand it is all about what I like. I have been to the Swiss Alps and Canadian Rockies. What I am asking for is a comparison between those regions and the South Island so that I can feel better informed. Has anyone visited these regions and able to give me a comparison?

Having seen spectacular mountains else where you could consider going right to the top of the North Island.

I assume your cruise will include a port call at Tauranga, so you can see Rotorua (Maori culture, thermals) from that port stop.

Hopefully the weather will co-operate and you will also see some of Fiordland from the ship.

You could head north and visit places such as:

Cape Reinga;

90 mile Beach;

Kerikeri,

Bay of Islands (Hole in the rock; Russell, Waitangi Treaty grounds);

Hokianga harbour.

Back to Auckland for day ferry trips to:

Tiritiri Matangi,

Rangitoto,

Waiheke.

That would be about 10 days worth, taking your time.

Opua Kiwi, thank you for the North Island suggestions. Just to clarify, my cruise is not around New Zealand, it is a Transpacific from Sydney to Honolulu, NZ port stops are Wellington and Picton and I do not expect to see much of either island from those ports, hence the reason for a possible land trip prior to the cruise.

Hi, I've been to the Swiss alps (around Geneva and Zurich), to Alaska (Skagway) and on the Californian Zephyr from Chicago to San Franscisco (through the Sierra Nevadas in winter). If you are looking for views of alps and snow, they are all extraordinarily beautiful.

I've cruised the south island of NZ and the north island (and flown to both) and they are both beautiful and interesting.

OK, since your cruise starts in Sydney and ends in Honolulu, I assume you will be visiting down under in summer.

A few points:

- the views I have seen in summer are very different to the winter views mentioned above - different but both wonderful. I think the NZ fiords are more similar to Scandinavia than the places you mention because of the proximity of the sea. (also less snow in summer)

- there are many wonderful places to visit in NZ - the flight is about 3 hours from Sydney. NZ is the same but also very different to Australia.

- I have friends on the South island now - like many people, they are driving themselves and they are having a fabulous time

- the North Island is also wonderful (and about the same distance).

- there are many places you could also visit in Australia with the same or less travel time.

It really does depend what you would like to see and do.

Hope this helps a small amount

Edited by lucymorgan

Hi, I've been to the Swiss alps (around Geneva and Zurich), to Alaska (Skagway) and on the Californian Zephyr from Chicago to San Franscisco (through the Sierra Nevadas in winter). If you are looking for views of alps and snow, they are all extraordinarily beautiful.

I've cruised the south island of NZ and the north island (and flown to both) and they are both beautiful and interesting.

OK, since your cruise starts in Sydney and ends in Honolulu, I assume you will be visiting down under in summer.

A few points:

- the views I have seen in summer are very different to the winter views mentioned above - different but both wonderful. I think the NZ fiords are more similar to Scandinavia than the places you mention because of the proximity of the sea. (also less snow in summer)

- there are many wonderful places to visit in NZ - the flight is about 3 hours from Sydney. NZ is the same but also very different to Australia.

- I have friends on the South island now - like many people, they are driving themselves and they are having a fabulous time

- the North Island is also wonderful (and about the same distance).

- there are many places you could also visit in Australia with the same or less travel time.

It really does depend what you would like to see and do.

Hope this helps a small amount

Thank you!

The cruise from Sydney begins 17 April, and we are looking at very end of March arrival so it will be Autumn. We are hoping to split the pre-cruise time between NZ and Australia.

Spent one day around Auckland in 1984, four of us hired a car, to me it was very similar to driving around Melbourne, we ended up quite a few K'ms out of town at a great hot water slide / pool park, thats probably gone by now, be carefull driving to certain areas as earth quakes are still happening over there, do your home work.

Our rellies had their SUV swallowed up by liquefied goo and their house cracked badly and sunk causing them to move

they were in the 2010 Christchurch quake

Edited by 6666oz