Greyhound??

n5749w

Has anyone taken greyhound for a cruise? We are debating it and wanted to hear of some experiences. We are traveling from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale.

Are you asking if anyone has taken a Greyhound Bus to get from their home city to their port of embarkation, or are you asking if anyone has taken their greyhound service dog on a cruise?

:confused:

I would never take greyhound anywhere. lets just say the demographic that uses it is..sketchy. and the terminals are never located anywhere convenient or what I would consider safe, day or night. not to mention the many layovers in between your start and stop points.

if ya don't wanna fly or drive, go Amtrak.

Are you asking if anyone has taken a Greyhound Bus to get from their home city to their port of embarkation, or are you asking if anyone has taken their greyhound service dog on a cruise?

ya know I do not think I have ever seen greyhounds as Service dogs. I would think they are way too excitable...

:D I'm asking about greyhound bus service. I used them quite a bit in the 80's and 90's during their strike years. I'm curious as to if they have improved and what others have experienced with them.

As the mom to a couple of greyhounds, I can definitely say they would not be good service dogs. Neurotic, stubborn, and typically not the brightest pup in the dog pack. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ya know I do not think I have ever seen greyhounds as Service dogs. I would think they are way too excitable...

Just the opposite. Lazy as the summer days are long. :)

Just the opposite. Lazy as the summer days are long. :)

hmm. then again the only ones I know are recently rescued from the race track. maybe they just haven't realized they are retired yet...

I would never take greyhound anywhere. lets just say the demographic that uses it is..sketchy. and the terminals are never located anywhere convenient or what I would consider safe, day or night. not to mention the many layovers in between your start and stop points.

Very true. We did find a direct line between Atlanta and Fort Lauderdale, so that was a plus. There are six of us cruising this time and trying to plan out the most cost effective way to get down there and back. My father in law and his wife won't be able to drive the whole way and they won't fit in our car.

First world problems, I know! ;)

hmm. then again the only ones I know are recently rescued from the race track. maybe they just haven't realized they are retired yet...

They take them off the track once they begin to slow down--or have an injury. At the track they are crated about 22 hours a day, and typically only race once or twice a week. As a result they have learned to be very sedentary with only a short (3-4 minute) burst of activity once or twice a day.

Fresh off the track greys are usually a little more active only due to being typically neurotic as a breed and having a hard time "settling" in a new environment.

My 15 year old gets up for four reasons. He hears dinner coming, he needs to go out, he hears the cookie jar lid coming off, he wants his coat on or off. The five year old plays for a few minutes a day and does a "perimeter check" of the house every couple of hours, but otherwise, zzzzzzzzz... :)

Same price to return on the 26th.

Don't you arrive early?!?!??!

We usually arrive the day before and head straight home from the cruise. (17-26 would be the dates for this trip.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 15 year old gets up for four reasons. He hears dinner coming, he needs to go out, he hears the cookie jar lid coming off, he wants his coat on or off. The five year old plays for a few minutes a day and does a "perimeter check" of the house every couple of hours, but otherwise, zzzzzzzzz... :)

I have a Weimaraner that could use some lessons from your dogs on how to stay still.

It really depends on the station, but yeah, I'd prefer Amtrak heavily over Greyhound if both were options, we've done Amtrak for four of our vacations when we were in the lower 48.

We've done Greyhound a couple times, and it really depends on the station. I'll take it from Chicago Amtrak into Michigan, but I won't take it from any of the other Chicago stations. When in Florida I'd never take it to or from Orlando, take a cab to the Kissimmee station instead. Not familiar with the stations around FLL.

The Orlando Greyhound station is in the hood and should be avoided.

Amtrak is a couple blocks from the regional trauma center and children's hospital and in a very up and coming neighborhood known as SoDo. On the opposite side of the tracks there is an area with light industrial and warehouses (and the Orlando Brewery) but you can't get across the tracks that easily there. Now with the Pulse Memorial only a few blocks away, that neighborhood is pretty busy into the night. You can get Uber or a cab from there to pick up a rental car to go to the port, or you can prebook a van cab through Mears to take you. There is no reason to go to Kissimmee for Amtrak, which IMHO is a worse neighborhood than the Orlando Amtrak station is in these days. But I do agree that going to Kissimmee for Greyhound is the better option if you take the bus.

I do want to mention that delays of hours or even longer are very common on Amtrak, so plan accordingly.

Edited by ducklite

My aunt came to visit us in Atlanta and she took the Greyhound two years ago from Miami. Never again she said. Unless airfare is too much, she would never take it again. We find good deals on American now that she flies most of the time for under $100 RT, but she's flexible.

FYI, Did you look at one way rental cars?