Alaska

Redmellen

Hi cruisers,

Happy New Year

In July we will be doing the land & Sea to Alaska 👏👏First time!😳

Any suggestions on clothing will help since I'm always cold lol

Hope to meet fellow cruise critics there

We just returned from the Panama Crossing we went on the Island Princess the ship was great & the service wonderful but we like Celebrity better

Welcome to Cruise Critics.

The trick to dressing in Alaska is layers because you never know how the temperature will change over the day. It also helps to have water repellant outer layers, we even take rain pants and have used them on several occasions.

There is a lot of packing suggestions on the Alaska boards found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

You can look for others on your cruise by going to the Roll Call boards. The link is to the right of your post.

Enjoy Alaska, we are doing it for the 3rd time in August.

Welcome to Cruise Critics.

The trick to dressing in Alaska is layers because you never know how the temperature will change over the day. It also helps to have water repellant outer layers, we even take rain pants and have used them on several occasions.

There is a lot of packing suggestions on the Alaska boards found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

You can look for others on your cruise by going to the Roll Call boards. The link is to the right of your post.

Enjoy Alaska, we are doing it for the 3rd time in August.

Absolutely, layers is the way to go and you may need them on the same excursion, pancho's something similar is good. We took our pancho's from Disneyworld. Worked well

If you have any gloves, I would pack them also. It is quite cold outside when you are viewing the glacier but you do want to be outside so you can hear the calving. It's an awesome experience. Here's hoping you get great weather.

Redmellen: The Alaska Cruise Critic forum (located under "Ports of Call") has a wealth of information about our state.

People periodically post their packing lists for Alaska. There was a particularly interesting packing list posted several years ago by a passenger after their Alaska cruise. This packing list was divided into three sections. The first was the items they actually used. A second smaller list was of items they packed but didn't use on the cruise, and the third briefest list was a few items they didn't pack but would have used if they had packed them. Just use the Cruise Critic search function to try to find examples of packing lists.

But one quick comment -- while you may be extremely lucky and experience no rain it still is important to have a waterproof (not water resistant) outer layer.

Omg thanks for the tips �� I just thought of glove &! Sock warmers I'm starting my list

We sailed on Island Princess on a partial transit of the Panama Canal many years ago and had a great time. Since then we have enjoyed Infinity through the canal. We too like Celebrity. My two destinations I want to go back to are Panama Canal and Alaska.

Just to repeat for Alaska: layering is key! Also, bring a light rain jacket and hat to also use as part of layering. It can be used as a windbreaker also. :)

Edited by shipshape sam

Happy New Year! We live in AK & also have taken an Alaska Cruise. Everyone is correct when they state you should dress in layers & pack a waterproof jacket. I would definitely add... Sunscreen. Even though it may be cold - you are much closer to the sun! One of the best places to view the glaciers is from the hot tub w/ a cocktail :) Some specifics items recommended to pack:

Longies - Silk Weight - Bottom & Top

Fleece Top &/or Jacket

Water Proof Jacket

Gloves

Fleece Headband / Hat

Sunglasses

Sunscreen

Alaska is beautiful & an Alaskan Cruise is amazing. Vacationing here years ago - we fell in love & relocated. We did our Alaskan Cruise as residents of the state & it's amazing. Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy...

We have sailed to Alaska 10 times now. Here is a packing list I have developed over the years. Hope it helps:

2 pair jeans (in case one gets wet)

3-4 shirts to wear with jeans

one pair capris to wear onboard (sea days)

1 nice dress for formal nights

1 or 2 skirts and/or nice pants and shirts/sweaters to wear with them

1 hooded sweatshirt

1 0r 2 zip up sweatshirt-like jackets or sweaters

1 light jacket or warm vest

scarf, hat and gloves

1 or 2 pair dress shoes/sandals

1 pair sandals for pool deck

swimsuit and coverup

2 pair good walking shoes

good sunglasses

socks and underwear

workout clothes

small backpack (easier than carrying a purse)

sunscreen (glare off boat can be strong)