Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

I love all the "Big Brother" concerns. Cruise lines had the ability to build customer profiles for years by simply tracking purchases, dining habits and room entry/exits simply with the current cruise card. Big data is not a new issue, nor is this a new invasion of privacy. If you are really that concerned, go to your local hardware store and purchase some brass screening. Build a small pouch from it and slip the medallion in it. You will have a nice faraday cage to shield the sensors from detecting your medallion.

Overall this will be a nice innovation on the cruising experience to have a personalized level of service and technical interaction with smart boards and kiosks around the ship. I personally prefer to ditch my iPhone as soon as I can access the safe in my cabin. As such, I may not see the full benefit of the new system since it wont be completely at my fingertips.

The only real concern I have is, I am not the type to wear this as a wrist band or pendant around my neck. It will go in my pocket. Hopefully it will stay put just like my cruise card has done so for many cruises.

I'm very much looking forward to this arriving on Princess. Bug fan of Disney's Magic Bands and the MyMagic+ program. Carnival Corp lured the guys behind it from Disney, and its exciting to see them take it to the next level.

Anything that removes friction from the different touch points on the cruise is a big win for me.

The Medallion ships to you with the basic plastic-type wristband from their video showing the unboxing. Same as Disney. Of course you can buy upgrade bands and such. I like the plastic since its waterproof, but some of the others look pretty nice.

No more waiting for someone to take your drink order. Place order and they just show up. Or preorder for the evening show, and your drink arrives when you do. Reserve your spot in line for tenders in a virtual queue. No more demagnetized cards. Can't wait! The future is now. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine that you would have to punch in your room number along with having the medallion. (only a guess)

In all the promo videos it shows the couple simply walking up to their door and opening and entering...nothing to punch in. I hope this is addressed by Princess in their full presentation today as that is the one thing that has me worried. If I lost my cruise card...no cabin # so no one could get in...but with this...who knows?

I think of the medallion as similar to a car key fob. I keep mine in my purse and when I'm near my car, it unlocks the doors. It doesn't beep, flash the car lights or give any indication to a would be thief which car is mine.

I think most people, particularly older people who don't carry smartphones on the ship, will use it only for a cabin key and for ordering food or beverages.

I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude. I saw a variety of wrist bands in the video, from plastic to narrow metal bands.

Well I'm just happy Princess is giving the passengers a choice to use the medallion or keep your cruise card. You can't stop technology and it's nice for those that embrace it, but I prefer my privacy and will stick to the cruise card for now. Time will tell if this new innovation is accepted or not.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Your cruise card does that now.

Yes, your cruise card does have your dining option on it. But it has to be checked and that often does not happen.

The medallion can automatically notify the dining room host as you enter the dining room that you are not supposed to eat there.

(Not saying it will do this, but the capability is there.)

Edited by caribill

I imagine that you would have to punch in your room number along with having the medallion. (only a guess)

In all the promo videos it shows the couple simply walking up to their door and opening and entering...nothing to punch in. I hope this is addressed by Princess in their full presentation today as that is the one thing that has me worried. If I lost my cruise card...no cabin # so no one could get in...but with this...who knows?

Your initial concern here (as far as the referenced posts above) was about getting directions to your cabin. In that case it is logical you would need to know which cabin and enter that info. That has absolutely nothing to do with opening the door without punching in the room number. It would be pretty lame to have to walk up to your cabin door, the punch in the number that is plainly visible before the door will open. :rolleyes:

I'm very much looking forward to this arriving on Princess. Bug fan of Disney's Magic Bands and the MyMagic+ program. Carnival Corp lured the guys behind it from Disney, and its exciting to see them take it to the next level.

Anything that removes friction from the different touch points on the cruise is a big win for me.

The Medallion ships to you with the basic plastic-type wristband from their video showing the unboxing. Same as Disney. Of course you can buy upgrade bands and such. I like the plastic since its waterproof, but some of the others look pretty nice.

No more waiting for someone to take your drink order. Place order and they just show up. Or preorder for the evening show, and your drink arrives when you do. Reserve your spot in line for tenders in a virtual queue. No more demagnetized cards. Can't wait! The future is now. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you. The only thing I don't like about it is that it won't be available on our 28 day cruise in October. :D

We do have a 14 day (true 14 day - not a B2B) on Caribbean Princess next year and it's the first voyage on that ship to have the new tech. Looking forward to trying it out.

Your initial concern here (as far as the referenced posts above) was about getting directions to your cabin. In that case it is logical you would need to know which cabin and enter that info. That has absolutely nothing to do with opening the door without punching in the room number. It would be pretty lame to have to walk up to your cabin door, the punch in the number that is plainly visible before the door will open. :rolleyes:

No my concern is that they claim the medallion will now give you or anyone who has it which room you are in and how to get there via the kiosks, so my fear is if I lose it don't know I have for awhile...someone could access the room and steal whatever they want or for single travelers lie in wait. I have never had altercations at sea but have witnessed others and this security measure just hasn't been addressed. How does the room/software know that the person holding the medallion is the one that is to be entering that room...just wonder if that will be addressed at CES or if perhaps Carolyn knows.

No my concern is that they claim the medallion will now give you or anyone who has it which room you are in and how to get there via the kiosks, so my fear is if I lose it don't know I have for awhile...someone could access the room and steal whatever they want or for single travelers lie in wait. I have never had altercations at sea but have witnessed others and this security measure just hasn't been addressed. How does the room/software know that the person holding the medallion is the one that is to be entering that room...just wonder if that will be addressed at CES or if perhaps Carolyn knows.

The medallion doesn't contain room information. If you lose the medallion and someone else finds it they have no way to know which room it goes to. What are they going to do? Tell a crew member that they "forgot" their cabin number and expect the staff to tell them? Staff won't do that. They also can just check the medallion against a picture on their device and know you are trying to scam them. The person attempting the scam may well find themselves dumped at the next port and banned from the cruise line for life.

The medallion doesn't contain room information. If you lose the medallion and someone else finds it they have no way to know which room it goes to. What are they going to do? Tell a crew member that they "forgot" their cabin number and expect the staff to tell them? Staff won't do that. They also can just check the medallion against a picture on their device and know you are trying to scam them. The person attempting the scam may well find themselves dumped at the next port and banned from the cruise line for life.

Thrak that is not what one of the videos and/or web articles claimed. It said you could go up to a kiosk and get turn by turn directions to your cabin and if it is blocked due to maintenance or luggage pull it will give an alternate route. It is supposed to read this off your medallion when you walk up to the kiosk...so my thinking is anyone with the medallion can walk up to the kiosk and get that info and then access the room. I will have to see if I can find the article again I have read so many but know I read that in one of the many articles...

Thrak that is not what one of the videos and/or web articles claimed. It said you could go up to a kiosk and get turn by turn directions to your cabin and if it is blocked due to maintenance or luggage pull it will give an alternate route. It is supposed to read this off your medallion when you walk up to the kiosk...so my thinking is anyone with the medallion can walk up to the kiosk and get that info and then access the room. I will have to see if I can find the article again I have read so many but know I read that in one of the many articles...

You will need to enter the cabin number on the kiosk. The medallion technology uses massive encryption to keep your personal data safe. They have already considered this simple issue of directions along with many (many) other security issues. Do you really think they are too inept to think of this? Do you think they want the publicity fiasco of someone merely waving a medallion and then being given directions to your cabin and the ability to enter it?

I give up. Some people are just fearful of technology. Just remember that Facebook knows pretty much everything there is to know about you if you have an account there.

My biggest issue with the new tech is that it won't be available on Emerald for our 28 day cruise in October. I'd really like to try it out.

Edited by Thrak

Well I'm just happy Princess is giving the passengers a choice to use the medallion or keep your cruise card. You can't stop technology and it's nice for those that embrace it, but I prefer my privacy and will stick to the cruise card for now. Time will tell if this new innovation is accepted or not.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

It's going to take them some time to work out the bugs, so I might pass on the thing for awhile. (I don't have much faith in Princess' "big ideas" when they spring them on us without lots of pre-testing.)

You will need to enter the cabin number on the kiosk. The medallion technology uses massive encryption to keep your personal data safe. They have already considered this simple issue of directions along with many (many) other security issues. Do you really think they are too inept to think of this? Do you think they want the publicity fiasco of someone merely waving a medallion and then being given directions to your cabin and the ability to enter it?

I give up. Some people are just fearful of technology. Just remember that Facebook knows pretty much everything there is to know about you if you have an account there.

Thrak wow really how nice you are...it didn't state the need to enter the number simply stated walk up and get the info...I was not the only person to post this... on another thread someone else asked it as well so perhaps before you smart off with your snarky comments about going camping vs cruising. I see you edited this off your statement...

Just know some of us deal with technology everyday and go on a cruise to "escape completely" oh and I don't have a facebook page.

Edited by cruzrbachoua

Thrak wow really how nice you are...it didn't state the need to enter the number simply stated walk up and get the info...I was not the only person to post this... on another thread someone else asked it as well so perhaps before you smart off with your snarky comments about going camping vs cruising.

You are fast! I was removing that bit of commentary from my post while you were posting.

I just retired from an IT position with the state. I've been using tech and computers since before there was a graphical web. I used local BBS systems and then wangled an Internet account from the local university - not just anybody had Internet access - and then had to start learning UNIX in order to navigate the all-text Internet. I guess I just really don't fear technology or the changes it brings.

Edited by Thrak

You are fast! I was removing that bit of commentary from my post while you were posting.

I got the email showing I had a response. So yes I checked it. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but when people become hurtful and rude that is not right. As I stated I was not the only one to mention this or question it...it is all new and everyone is just posing what ifs and how will this work etc so I didn't see the need for you comment. This is a place that is supposed to allow people to ask questions and to help others but snarky comments (even if taken down after posting) don't help.

Just noticed this in the FAQ:

Can I personalize the Ocean Medallion?

Yes! You can customize your Medallion with a choice of colors. It will also be laser-etched with your name, ship, and sail date.

Just think! You too can have a black medallion. I wonder if this is one of the color choices and, if it is, if those who feel they are super special and important for having a black card (obviously a small group but still...) will be outraged that a gold or platinum cruiser can have a "prestigious" black medallion.

Edit: Just watched the main video again. It appeared that the outer ring on some of the medallions was black and on others a different color - maybe platinum? Perhaps the outer ring is still "level conscious"? Given that I wonder what it is one can customize or if it's just the wrist band that can be different colors.

Edited by Thrak

Oops...that'll teach me to post a new thread without checking while waiting to board the ship! :o

Is this included in the price of the cruise or is this an extra charge and ability to opt in or out??? If it is an extra purchase price, how much???

I was reading the info at the Princess site but no mention of cost.

Is this included in the price of the cruise or is this an extra charge and ability to opt in or out??? If it is an extra purchase price, how much???

I was reading the info at the Princess site but no mention of cost.

Included in the cost of the cruise. You don't have to use the medallion if you don't want to do so. The cruise will cost you the same either way.

i'm much more interested in a plan that allows unlimited internet like all the other cruises...i've cut down drastically on Princess because of that reason....i need to be in touch as i have an elderly mom and other major issues...non-work related...

first things first...IMHO

not interested in this...