Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

No worries. The medallions will be color coded. Wear it proudly around your neck or wrist on the supplied lanyard/necklace/bracelet so everyone will see it. :):rolleyes::D

Whew, I was worried there for a second.....:):):)

Bob

This is not new technology. The medallion does not radiate a signal. It seems to be based on RFID, a technology developed years ago to track pallets of products as they pass by a sensor for inventory purposes. Like all technologies first presented, there are a number of people who resist it and I dealt with that most of my IT career. Life goes on and the world moves at a faster and faster pace. Princess has to install sensors around the ship that are connected to the main computer system where all the data is stored. The medallion simply has a unique number attached to it that the sensor picks up and sends to the central computer system. From the number, the computer can establish who you are and what sensor you are near. It is rather simple technology.

I rented a car 2 months ago that used a fob which I kept in my pocket. I walked up and the car door unlocked when I pulled the handle. I sat down in the driver seat and pushed a button to start the car again with the fob in my pocket. When I exited the car, the doors locked. This is the wave of the future and was quite nice.

It would be cool to be able to find a spouse and simply be able to walk to where they are and join them without trying to send a message and hope they see it. I could go on, but this has potential.

Honey, where have you been?

Oh, I was just wandering around. Nothing special.

BS. Your medallion showed you were in the bar for the past two hours!

No place to run. No place to hide.

Of course it could be even worse if you were in her sister's cabin for those two hours. :eek:

Edited by Thrak

Of course it could be even worse if you were in her sister's cabin for those two hours. :eek:

Now that last part was funny.....:D:D:D

Bob

For anybody who wants to watch the keynote speech mention above it is located HERE.

I watched this with my geeky other half who was very excited to try it out - so much so that we are now booked on the first two Regal Princess cruises with the new technology ;0

A few thoughts:

- it looks as though the medallions will be delivered by snail mail which is strange after the move to do everything online such as luggage tags. I wonder how this will work for international cruisers? (e.g. someone doing a US cruise from the UK, Germany or China) guessing they might have to pick up their medallions from the terminal so won't get the 'walk straight on' total Ocean Ready experience.

- a new medallion for each cruise seems a bit wasteful.

- they won't need so many check-in staff so not good news for these people.

Edited by dides

As I mentioned before I am an ancient passenger and always like my tea in a china teapot at bedtime......the magic Band should remember this so will not have to explain every nite.:D Oh also figs for breakfast.:D

Edited by kruisey

I am wondering if Princess is going to mail the Medallion to passengers outside of the States. Disney only mails their Magic Bands within the States. If, they mail outside of the States will we receive it on time? Sometimes mail from the States to Canada takes 10 days or longer.

Some people do not complete their personal information until closer to sailing date. How can they mail the medallion out if you have not completed the information?

The check in staff will loose their jobs as Princess will not be using as many.

I enjoyed wearing my Disney Magic Band much easier than having a plastic card.

Well, that is great for you. You will now go on your cruise and it will be just like being at work. Progress is amazing, isn't it???

The only fob I carry around with me is my over sized nose. I sure don't need to be tethered to some electronic gizmo to enjoy my cruise. I guess age does have it's advantages - freedom from the constant reliance on technology. I have done quite well for over 60 years without it. I think I can survive another cruise without some gimmicky doodad I have to worry about the entire time.

I can tell you that there are individuals I work with who are 60 or 70 who also carry a fob where I work.

Honestly - it feels like carrying a key but just one key. I used to carry 40 keys. I carry my house keys with me no matter where I am. It feels no different so I won't feel like I am at work.

Don the tin foil hats! It only took until page 2 for the Big Brother warriors to sprout. (Pssssttt..... being tracked on a cruise ship should be the least of your worries if you are using a smart phone to post. Of course you can "turn off" location tracking on your smart devices :)

I think it is a step in the right direction. This is only a small taste of what is to come with optimizing the individual experience in the entertainment industry.

You can always place it in a RFID blocking wallet and temporarily go off the radar.:D

Nobody will be walking straight on. You will need picture taken and credit card for on board account. They should not be taking all your credit card info prior to getting there. Also not a fan of this mailing. Is the medallion active when it is sent to you? How good is the encryption on it? What is the charge if you misplace it. What is the added cost to the customer for this toy. Do you still have to sign when you purchase on board? Human error comes into play if it just scanned.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

I don't know, not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand, it will be convenient for opening your door, and you won't need to carry your cruise card with you. The staff will know if you have a soda or drink package without asking every single time. On the other hand, I have no interest in bingo, or going to a "dogs playing poker" art auction (this is how my husband referred to the laughably bad art on our Royal cruise last year), or even someone bothering me for a drink if I'm relaxing on deck with a book or something. I kind of like to be left alone most of the time.

I know most people love Disney's magic bands, and the thing I hate most about those (although I have not been to a Disney park since they were instituted park-wide, and this is why) is that you need to reserve ride times months in advance. We live here in Orlando, we work at a competing park, and on the rare occasion that we do go to Disney, we don't want to plan our day that far in advance. I want to go to one of the parks, wander around, say "hey, let's go on the Kilimanjaro safari" or "I'd like to ride Haunted Mansion now", and not plan our day in advance so that we know what we're doing every minute. My life is planned pretty tight because I work multiple jobs, vacation is NOT for that!

I am willing to give this a chance, and may find I love it. So, does it talk to you? How else would you get directions?

Fine, track me. And my family. Please. We might know where Natalie Holloway disappeared to when she went missing if she had been wearing one. I'm all for them. Like LoJack for people. Bring it on.

I'm with you, I love the idea. No more fumbling to get the card out of my pocket when my hands are full, and I'll gladly buy a bracelet to wear it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know, not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand, it will be convenient for opening your door, and you won't need to carry your cruise card with you. The staff will know if you have a soda or drink package without asking every single time. On the other hand, I have no interest in bingo, or going to a "dogs playing poker" art auction (this is how my husband referred to the laughably bad art on our Royal cruise last year), or even someone bothering me for a drink if I'm relaxing on deck with a book or something. I kind of like to be left alone most of the time.

I know most people love Disney's magic bands, and the thing I hate most about those (although I have not been to a Disney park since they were instituted park-wide, and this is why) is that you need to reserve ride times months in advance. We live here in Orlando, we work at a competing park, and on the rare occasion that we do go to Disney, we don't want to plan our day that far in advance. I want to go to one of the parks, wander around, say "hey, let's go on the Kilimanjaro safari" or "I'd like to ride Haunted Mansion now", and not plan our day in advance so that we know what we're doing every minute. My life is planned pretty tight because I work multiple jobs, vacation is NOT for that!

I am willing to give this a chance, and may find I love it. So, does it talk to you? How else would you get directions?

Yes. It will be paired with your phone.

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm in if I can direct it to send away,

A. All photographers

B: Someone wanting to sell a wine tasting.

C. Someone selling anything to pass me bye.

Then I'm IN:D !!!

framer

Yes to #1 and 3! I DO NOT like to be photographed, and don't want to be asked to be. I don't want anyone trying to sell me anything other than perhaps a drink. And the wine tasting, I actually don't mind.

I don't understand what the big deal is if someone with traditional dining wants to go to the anytime dining room(s). How would you even know, and why would you even care? Someone please explain to me.

My other question is, what if you looking at an item in a gift shop, but choose not to purchase it? At what point is your cruise account charged for that item?

I wouldn't worry about losing your cruise medallion and someone finding it and finding your room. Unless it was right outside your room, imagine how difficult it would be to find ONE room, out of thousands, on multiple decks, on both sides of the ship?

And if you can get custom colors, will it come in purple?

Don the tin foil hats! It only took until page 2 for the Big Brother warriors to sprout. (Pssssttt..... being tracked on a cruise ship should be the least of your worries if you are using a smart phone to post. Of course you can "turn off" location tracking on your smart devices :)

I think it is a step in the right direction. This is only a small taste of what is to come with optimizing the individual experience in the entertainment industry.

Love the dancing penguin in your signature. Hope you do not mind but I would love to use it too.