St Maarten private excursion suggestions

fmark

Looking to spend a day at a beach (orient?) maybe see a few planes land and then a little shopping. None of the RC excursions seem worthwhile especially for the price. Can you do a private tour safely and if so any suggestions?

I would highly recommend Bernard's Tours. It was the best private excursion we have ever done. They will meet you at the pier- the guide was professional and entertaining. We spent time watching the planes land and take-off, some shopping time and time at Orient Beach. We were back in plenty of time to spend some time at the shops on the pier. You will not be disappointed.

Looking to spend a day at a beach (orient?) maybe see a few planes land and then a little shopping. None of the RC excursions seem worthwhile especially for the price. Can you do a private tour safely and if so any suggestions?

More info here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

I would highly recommend Bernard's Tours. It was the best private excursion we have ever done. They will meet you at the pier- the guide was professional and entertaining. We spent time watching the planes land and take-off, some shopping time and time at Orient Beach. We were back in plenty of time to spend some time at the shops on the pier. You will not be disappointed.

I second this! We booked Bernards tour and we were NOT disappointed. It was the best excursion! The guide was entertaining. I'm not sure if you have young kids or not, but our group mainly had adults 21 and over so the ride was entertaining and the rum punch was flowing. It was awesome!

Captain Alan's 3 island snorkeling tour.

http://www.captainalan.com/index.htm

We always rent a car (Coastal Car Rental, I believe is the name), and drive around the island at our leisure. There are so many other beaches that are far more beautiful and interesting than Maho and Orient, and they are not as congested.

We enjoy the French side. Marigot is a quaint little town with lots of French bakeries, shops, and restaurants. Grand Case has some lovely beachfront mom and pop seafood restaurants.

It is very easy to navigate around the island. The best way is to start from the east to the west (you will pass Maho for a picture opportunity), head north to the French side, then back southeast, on the east side of the island. Avoid coming back through downtown Phillipsburg as traffic is congested later in the day when people are trying to get back to the ship.

Edited by brunello22

The first time we did this, we used Bernard's and I know you already have recommendations for it. It was a great way to see the island and we became comfortable with it.

Taxis are plentiful and if you want to do things your way on your time, its pretty easy. The cab from Orient to Maho will be a little pricey if you are on your own though.

The last time we spent the majority of the day at Orient. $12 taxi for the two of us and about the same 5 hours later to be dropped off back downtown.

All of the private tours I have seen on this island are very aware of ship schedules and to a great job of getting you back.

We used Bernard's on our last cruise to St. Maarten - and it was a great combination of Orient and Maho Beach - along with other island stops (including Marigot for shopping).

On our upcoming cruise, we're using Amigo Tours - as they have a tour that just goes to Orient for a couple hours - then Maho for a couple hours.

Some have suggested just using cabs for those two stops, but we opted for the private tour.

I also vote for Bernard's.

Although, I'd ask for the Mailman instead of the Milkman... because I have no idea who that second one is... maybe a secret cousin?

HAHAHA.. I think Russ got his nicknames mixed up. It's definitely the Mailman, though.

Another vote for Bernard's tour. We have done it twice and everybody in our group raved about the tour. Very reasonable price and great service. Ask for the Milkman as your driver.