how do you return something to the gift shop

luckyinpa

my friend bought something that pretty much right away after the cruise had a problem. given the price of gift shop things, she wrote to NCL and it took them 3 weeks go get back to her that they dont run the gift shops and will forward it to Starboard cruises, who runs the shops.

anyone have experience getting customer service from the gift shops?

NCL is smart to insulate themselves from customer complaints

my friend bought something that pretty much right away after the cruise had a problem. given the price of gift shop things, she wrote to NCL and it took them 3 weeks go get back to her that they dont run the gift shops and will forward it to Starboard cruises, who runs the shops.

All the extras on board; Duty Free, gifts, spa, jewelry and so on are independent contractors hiring space from NCL. It is logical that you have to deal with the vendors not NCL.

If you buy something from a shop in a mall in PA then you would go to the shop owner not the mall owner.

No difference here.

Good luck but you may well get the run around. Thus saying I had a major fight with the art people on board over a "raffle". The art company did do the right thing; however I have not attended an art auction since!!

How do you return something to the gift shop?

Carry it back to the gift shop and say " I would like to return this purchase".

I don't even think that will work. I bought a piece of rather inexpensive jewelry onboard another line once ... it was real gold and a genuine stone but only about $200. The stone came lose within hours after buying it but I was already off the ship. Since we were sailing on the same ship again about a month later, I took the piece of jewelry and receipt and it was a no go. They said I had to send it back in to the vendor by mail and blah, blah, blah. So, I basically bought a piece of junk jewelry and was unable to take it back. Lesson learned, though!! I rarely buy anything on a cruise anymore ... that is, unless I am willing to toss it right after the cruise.

I don't buy anything on the ship or in port of value unless it's made by a name brand manufacturer. Then you would contact the manufacturer for warranty/replacement info.

OP, I imagine that your friend will have to find out which vendor ran the store she bought the item from and contact them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

If you buy something from a shop in a mall in PA then you would go to the shop owner not the mall owner.

No difference here.

The purchase was charged to a sail account. NCL collected funds from the OP. The name of the independent contractor isn't prominently disclosed. Buy something in the banna republic store in the mall and it's obvious you're dealing with banna republic and not the mall.

I'd go with a credit card dispute.

Edited by Lookingforfacts

Since disputing is the path to take here....

Just an FYI....

Sign n sail accounts should always be attached to a credit card and not paid in cash!!!

Those of you that are cash only types that's your choice of course but this is an excellent reason to get a credit card. At least for travel purposes

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's pretty easy, actually. Starboard have concessions with the cruiselines, and want to keep them.

I found their customer service to be quite good.

I had bought a white gold & blue/white diamond ring (for men), and they advised they would mail me the certificate of authenticity, as they had to generate it at their head office. This was on the Escape, I think.

FFWD several months, and the certificate arrives. It describes the blue diamonds as a rare type of white diamond which is artificially colorized.

Not quite what I thought I was buying, so I sent them an email. I included a photo of the ring, a copy of the on-board receipt, and the certificate they had just sent me (scanned).

A few emails later, and I was posting the ring back to them. Note, from Canada to the US this is not as easy as it sounds....none of the couriers wanted to take jewellery, and even CAnada Post said they wouldn't do it.....I had to go to two separate locations. The second didn't ask any questions and I didn't volunteer.

Anyway, some reasonable number of weeks later the refund was posted directly to my credit card.

Stephen