How Do HAL Transfers Work in Seward?

GradUT

We are on a HAL cruise in May to Alaska that docks in Seward on a Sunday morning at 6:00 am. I was thinking I could pre-book a transfer from the ship to the airport in Anchorage, but the HAL website indicates that transfers can only be purchased on the day of debarkation. Is this right? If so, how do you know what time the bus will leave Seward and arrive in Anchorage so that you know when to book your flight?

Any assistance/advice on how to quickly get from Seward to Anchorage (outside of renting a car which we may have to do) would be appreciated.

(FYI, the ACT Big Bus from Seward to Anchorage does not operate on Sundays--only the narrated Wildlife Tour bus which gets to Anchorage later than I want.)

Contact either your travel agent or Holland America (if you booked direct) they can give you pricing and departure/arrival information for either the motorcoach or cruise train transfers from Seward to Anchorage. In general the motorcoach is faster, though less scenic or comfortable.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

As additional info - Motorcoach transfers run frequently starting about 645am, take about 3hrs and cost $65pp. The time you are assigned will depend on your post cruise onward travel. The cruise train departs at 650am and arrives at 1130am and is $150pp. The cruise train price includes a transfer to the Eagan center downtown which is where you will collect your luggage.

You can also rent a car from Hertz. We had a flawless experience and paid $70 (brand new Camry with 5 miles on it) -- for a one way rental straight from ANC to Seward. We had dinner in Anchorage and stayed in a cabin halfway between Seward and Anchorage. We stopped at some glaciers and nature spots and it was a great way to start off the trip. Now I know this is the opposite direction for you, but see if the rental car works out cheaper. It was certainly for us as a family of 4. It cut our costs in half compared to the bus.

We are on a HAL cruise in May to Alaska that docks in Seward on a Sunday morning at 6:00 am. I was thinking I could pre-book a transfer from the ship to the airport in Anchorage, but the HAL website indicates that transfers can only be purchased on the day of debarkation. Is this right? If so, how do you know what time the bus will leave Seward and arrive in Anchorage so that you know when to book your flight?

Any assistance/advice on how to quickly get from Seward to Anchorage (outside of renting a car which we may have to do) would be appreciated.

(FYI, the ACT Big Bus from Seward to Anchorage does not operate on

Sundays--only the narrated Wildlife Tour bus which gets to Anchorage later than I want.)

You can also take the train, 4 hrs, the station is not too far from the ship...

Are you sure they aren't just "included?" On my Alaska cruise the transfers at both ends were part of the package price, but it was a Land & Sea. I cancelled the included transfer and got a price reduction.

Holland and Princess often include motorcoach transfers in the booking price, especially if you call to book or your Tavel agent books via the travel agent system they offer. Hence when you asked them to be removed there was a price reduction. If the cruise was booked online transfers are listed as optional and not automatically added in.

Holland and Princess often include motorcoach transfers in the booking price, especially if you call to book or your Tavel agent books via the travel agent system they offer. Hence when you asked them to be removed there was a price reduction. If the cruise was booked online transfers are listed as optional and not automatically added in.

We originally booked online. They were not listed at all, either way. They were just included. Once I got our schedule sorted out and realized we didn't need them I called and they were removed, reducing my fare.

I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, but it is worth checking before ordering alternate arrangements.