HAL D7C Land + Sea Cruise Denali questions

Bradison

We are booked to go on the D7C cruise out of Vancouver in June of 2017. The intinerary states we will leave Anchorage on the Mckinley Explorer at 9:15am and arrive in Denali at 4:40pm with a stop in Talkeetna mixed in. Our intinerary only states "Denali Area Hotel" and our online cruise planner just says Denali. I am guessing HAL reserves the right to select which lodge based on prevailing logistics or do they normally use the McKinley Chalet?

My other question involves a shuttle or Tundra Wilderness tour. I really want to do this but if their stated arrival time is correct then we will get in too late to take a tour (there is a Toklat shuttle that goes from 5:00pm-11:00pm but that seems to be cutting it close). The day after we arrive has us leaving at 2:30pm which elimiates the early Eielson shuttle since it does not get back until 3:00pm. Am I reading this wrong or has HAL left us no time to take a shuttle or tour into Denali? FWIW, they do not list any type of tour into Denali as an excursion so I am worried that answers my question.

My other hope is that they are being conservative and we arrive much sooner than 4:40pm. What are our odds at getting on the 3:30pm shuttle for Eielson or the 5:00pm shutle without a prior reservation?

you have answered your own question ..... no time for the tour or the Toklat shuttle. With your limited time you can only do the Natural History Tour to mile 16 or 17, OR, take the free shuttle to Savage River at Mile 15 and do the hike.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/courtesy-shuttle-buses.htm

Even if you made the 5pm Toklat shuttle you will need to get from the park to the hotel at 11pm. I think the Princess shuttle ends around 7pm. So you'll need to see if Princess offers a late night shuttle.

(OR skip the park do the free sled dog demo at 10am)

Denali pretty much requires a 2 night stay if you want to get into the park and travel the park road.

If anything your train will be a little late. The train depot is actually in the Park but even if you disembarked there and let your luggage be sent ahead without you, you would still need to get to the Wilderness Access Center where you get your ticket and board the bus.

A certain percentage of shuttle tickets are held back from the on-line reservation system. You can phone (2 days beforehand I think) and buy those tickets. Usually available if there are only 1 or 2 in your party.

Edited by mapleleaves

You are taking one of the shorter Denali journeys. Is it possible to change your booking so that you have two nights in Denali? Have you looked at he D6C or D6L? It includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Fairbanks could easily be skipped in such a short journey. The "Direct to Denali" with two nights in Denali would be preferable to only one night in Denali if your time is limited.

HAL would probably overnight you in the Chalets but since the D7C is a one nighter they may place you elsewhere if the Chalets are full.

Have you considered canceling the "cruisetour" and putting together your own great trip? Renting a car gives you the most flexibility and choices, or you can book your own train or coach travel. You can pick where you want to go and how long you want to stay...

Unfortunately you booked a tour without knowing what you were booking. The good point is- you NOW know and have the ability to make chances- IF you want to? Frankly with such a lacking tour- I'd strongly suggest you dump this tour- now, especially with your statements of the Eielson Shuttle and Tundra Wilderness tour. Why would you continue- spending all that time and money getting there only to miss the highlight completely??

This board can offer you alternatives- IF you care to change. However, I do find most people are reluctant to do so- not sure why?

My analogy puts this in perspective- would anyone- going to Disneyland- only walk up and down Main Street and leave- getting no further- after paying full admission?

There are very creative experts on this and the Tripadvisor board that can offer you suggestions for an enhanced Alaska visit.