Credit card hold??

Live to Dream

You may or may not see a hold on a credit card. Various factors at play. Credit score, credit limit, length of relationship with credit card issuer.

Initial hold could be $200, then as you spend that, they could reach out for another authorization for another $200 and so on and so on. You could have $1000 tied up in holds. Then the last day they submit the final charge whatever that may be. If you have a low limit credit card, you may want to close account half way thru the cruise and use cash for the rest.

Yes you have, you just didn't know it.

Roz

Sorry Roz, you have no idea how my credit cards work. Every card I have, I have held for at least 20 years. So I do know what happens on my cards. They all have at least a $50,000 credit line, and they may get "pending" transactions that clear in one to two days, but these are not "holds". They are pending transactions with a set amount. Anyone who has to worry about a "hold" on a credit card is usually living above their means or has very small credit limits on their cards. And don't bother me with any more of your ill-informed statements.

Sorry Roz, you have no idea how my credit cards work. Every card I have, I have held for at least 20 years. So I do know what happens on my cards. They all have at least a $50,000 credit line, and they may get "pending" transactions that clear in one to two days, but these are not "holds". They are pending transactions with a set amount. Anyone who has to worry about a "hold" on a credit card is usually living above their means or has very small credit limits on their cards. And don't bother me with any more of your ill-informed statements.

Quite the pompous and demeaning individual aren't you. Must be a joy to be around.

Since the thread didn't pertain to you, you had the option to not respond. Or you could have shared some insight with the OP.

A "Pending Charge" is a hold and the Cruise Line's "Hold" will appear under Pending Charges. The amount you have in "Pending Charges" will also lock up the same amount in your available credit. Yes, if someone has a credit limit of less than $2,000 it is not a good idea since the "Pending Charges" can lock up your credit limit until they clear. Often this takes 1 - 3 days.

Take care,

Mike

Copy and Paste from Carnival's website:

Sail & Sign Account Opened with a Credit Card or Debit Card

• Guests may activate their Sail & Sign account on Carnival.com, My Cruise Manager - Online Check-In or on the first day of the cruise at embarkation.
  • The guest's credit card or debit card will be swiped at embarkation with an initial hold placed on file as a deposit; if the card is activated online, the initial hold will be placed on file on the day of embarkation:
    • 2 - 5 day cruise: $100 USD per credit card or debit card
    • 6 days or longer: $200 USD per credit card or debit card

[*]Throughout the cruise, additional holds will be obtained as needed when the Sail & Sign Account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file.

[*]If a credit card is presented, this will reduce the amount available on the credit card for other purchases.

[*]If a debit/check-cashing card is presented, the hold will restrict the available cash in the checking account.

[*]Any remaining hold after the end of the cruise will automatically be released by the guest's issuing bank within a time period determined by the bank.

[*]If the guest replaces a credit/debit card previously used, the hold will remain on the account. This will reduce the amount of funds available on the credit/debit card account. The release of this/these hold(s) is entirely up to the issuing bank and can

[*]take from 3 to 7 business days after the cruise returns for the funds to be released.

[*]All charges will automatically be billed to the guest's credit card at the end of the voyage. The total amount will be applied to the credit card presented during registration.

Quite the pompous and demeaning individual aren't you. Must be a joy to be around.

Since the thread didn't pertain to you, you had the option to not respond. Or you could have shared some insight with the OP.

kilfrodo, I did share my experience with the OP, and Roz responded to it trying to tell me how my credit cards work. I responded to Roz, and you responded to me with a pejorative comment as your assessment of me. Since my response to Roz didn't pertain to you, you had the option to not respond. Instead you chose to pretend that you had something meaningful to say, which obviously, you did not. You must be a joy to be around.

Geez...I was just trying to offer information based on my experience. Didn't mean to inspire such condescending and hate filled diatribe. Just for the record, I've had hold on my credit cards and I don't live beyond my means nor do I have low credit lines. And even if I did, that wouldn't make me a bad person.

Roz

Copy and Paste from Carnival's website:

Sail & Sign Account Opened with a Credit Card or Debit Card

• Guests may activate their Sail & Sign account on Carnival.com, My Cruise Manager - Online Check-In or on the first day of the cruise at embarkation.
  • The guest's credit card or debit card will be swiped at embarkation with an initial hold placed on file as a deposit; if the card is activated online, the initial hold will be placed on file on the day of embarkation:
    • 2 - 5 day cruise: $100 USD per credit card or debit card
    • 6 days or longer: $200 USD per credit card or debit card

[*]Throughout the cruise, additional holds will be obtained as needed when the Sail & Sign Account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file.

[*]If a credit card is presented, this will reduce the amount available on the credit card for other purchases.

[*]If a debit/check-cashing card is presented, the hold will restrict the available cash in the checking account.

[*]Any remaining hold after the end of the cruise will automatically be released by the guest's issuing bank within a time period determined by the bank.

[*]If the guest replaces a credit/debit card previously used, the hold will remain on the account. This will reduce the amount of funds available on the credit/debit card account. The release of this/these hold(s) is entirely up to the issuing bank and can

[*]take from 3 to 7 business days after the cruise returns for the funds to be released.

[*]All charges will automatically be billed to the guest's credit card at the end of the voyage. The total amount will be applied to the credit card presented during registration.

So if well all use DH's card for our sign and sail accounts, is it $200 total or $200 each?

It would be $200 for the card. Once you get close to spending the $200, then they will place another $200 hold and so on and so on. So basically, if you spend $1000 on the ship, you will have $1000 in holds for a total of $2000 in use on the card until the holds are released by your financial institution.

Once the cruise is over, it's up to the bank or credit card company to release the hold(s). The cruise line has no control how long the hold remains on your account.

It would be $200 for the card. Once you get close to spending the $200, then they will place another $200 hold and so on and so on. So basically, if you spend $1000 on the ship, you will have $1000 in holds for a total of $2000 in use on the card until the holds are released by your financial institution.

Once the cruise is over, it's up to the bank or credit card company to release the hold(s). The cruise line has no control how long the hold remains on your account.

Ok. Thanks for your response!