Dressing for your age!

baja mama

Over the years I've gained and lost, repeatedly. I've also worried about what people would think about the way I look - I'm overweight, but not obese. A couple of years ago I finally came to the realization that the majority of people aren't thinking about the way I look, it's just me. I now wear properly fitting tank tops and sleeveless tops even though my arms are flabby. I'm comfortable and happy, and I think that shines through more than anything.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Over the years I've gained and lost, repeatedly. I've also worried about what people would think about the way I look - I'm overweight, but not obese. A couple of years ago I finally came to the realization that the majority of people aren't thinking about the way I look, it's just me. I now wear properly fitting tank tops and sleeveless tops even though my arms are flabby. I'm comfortable and happy, and I think that shines through more than anything.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Exactly! If you feel comfortable and are dressed appropriately for the occasion than don't worry about the busybodies who have nothing better to do than judge and look down on others!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've struggled with weight for most of my life, and being on steroids for a lung condition since 2010 hasn't helped. So I'm very conscious about choosing clothing that will play up my assets while minimizing my defects. As a result, I'm not a bit bothered by showing a little cleavage. But only my DH gets to see my upper arms! I haven't worn shorts in decades, but capris are great.

The comment about appropriateness of clothing depending on the culture you're visiting was spot on. The last thing I want to do is offend people when dressing more conservatively will take care of things.

But barring that self-imposed restriction, if I was a size 10, I'd wear whatever I liked. Since I'm not, I wear what works best for my body type, not necessarily the hottest fashion trend. And for pity's sake, will someone please tell designers that plus sized women should not wear horizontal stripes or fabrics that look like they escaped from a picnic table cloth factory!

Lead with your strengths, ladies, whatever that may be.

Oh! If anyone would like to see some examples of what I wear while on a ship, here's a link to my travel blog

Ladies wear what makes you happy and say "go away" in polite terms to anyone that even looks at you funny. I spent to many years hiding in jeans and t-shirts and jumpers......last year I bought a dress I had fallen in love with and a little girl ran up to me in the street and said pretty lady pretty dress and I cried. I now wear dress skirts and blouses and shrugs and cardigans with 1950's petticoats every day. I'm sitting in a coffee shop right now wearing a beautiful skirt with a print of Tibetan prayer flags and yaks with houses and mountains....has anyone laughed at me or looked and me strange? No not a one and I've had several compliments. I'm 48 and a larger lady....I often wear sleeveless dresses and cropped cardigans as I'm getting hot flashes and it helps lol. No sideways looks or comments on my less than toned arms or plumpcious curves.

Wear what you like and feel happy in your skin

16789287_200376790441172_7380339696842309632_n.jpg

Ladies wear what makes you happy and say "go away" in polite terms to anyone that even looks at you funny. I spent to many years hiding in jeans and t-shirts and jumpers......last year I bought a dress I had fallen in love with and a little girl ran up to me in the street and said pretty lady pretty dress and I cried. I now wear dress skirts and blouses and shrugs and cardigans with 1950's petticoats every day. I'm sitting in a coffee shop right now wearing a beautiful skirt with a print of Tibetan prayer flags and yaks with houses and mountains....has anyone laughed at me or looked and me strange? No not a one and I've had several compliments. I'm 48 and a larger lady....I often wear sleeveless dresses and cropped cardigans as I'm getting hot flashes and it helps lol. No sideways looks or comments on my less than toned arms or plumpcious curves.

Wear what you like and feel happy in your skin

16789287_200376790441172_7380339696842309632_n.jpg

Love your lady and the tramp dress ... We dress very similar ....my favourite cruise dress is my flamingo dress with a bright pink petticoat underneath ....

I know I look best in belted dresses or one with a clearly defined waist because of my shape, and that is absolutely adorable! So much fun, too! Do you make those skirts yourself?? (I saw your other photo and you thread about packing) If not, where do you find them??

I think it's great you found a fun look that also makes you look and feel fabulous!

I do make some clothes but my dresses and skirts are from a few different online stores, Lindybop.co.uk (they have an american online store too) CarolinaDress Room and dolly and Dotty are the main ones I will post a photo of me in my coat this Christmas and one of another of my dresses on my Instagram page if you would like to see? My name on Instagram is the same as on hereLife is too short for boring clothes script>

"Life is too short for boring clothes"

That quote made me take a serious look in my closet. It's 50 Shades of Gray in there--and not in a fun way! I guess I need to spice things up with some pops of color and experiment with a new look or two.

It all comes down to confidence. If I think I can rock a certain look, I can.

I do make some clothes but my dresses and skirts are from a few different online stores, Lindybop.co.uk (they have an american online store too) CarolinaDress Room and dolly and Dotty are the main ones I will post a photo of me in my coat this Christmas and one of another of my dresses on my Instagram page if you would like to see? My name on Instagram is the same as on hereLife is too short for boring clothes script>

Awesome! I know about Lindybop but have never pulled the trigger on ordering. I have a cute navy scoop neck polka dot dress that my bf loves on me, as well as a light blue floral dress with a skinny belt and built in petticoat. Both will be packed away soon for our cruise. (We leave a week from today! 11 day vacay! Yay!) I'm also working on sewing a purple floral sundress but I don't know if I'll have it done in time.

"Life is too short for boring clothes"

That quote made me take a serious look in my closet. It's 50 Shades of Gray in there--and not in a fun way! I guess I need to spice things up with some pops of color and experiment with a new look or two.

It all comes down to confidence. If I think I can rock a certain look, I can.

I'm so glad you're seeing the light! Or should I say, the color!! It's wonderful that you're being inspired!

Or my personal favourite "be a flamingo in a flock of pigeons " ...followed you on Instagram miss cakey bun :D

We are out shopping for my BF last night and the salesman picked out some nice pastel tropical colored shirts to go great with some of his blazers and then picked out some turquoise Bermuda shorts. My BF was a bit unsure, asking me my opinion, but I know he'd absolutely look fabulous and once on, would certainly have the confidence to wear them! I said "Honey! You know you're a flamingo! Be the flamingo you're meant to be!!"

Lead with your strengths, ladies, whatever that may be.

That's good advice. I remember being a teenager and failing to understand why the model in the magazine looked so good and I just looked dumpy and bad in the same outfit. It took me a while to realize that it wasn't the outfit: It was the fact that the model was 6' and underweight, while I am 5' and average weight.

Be honest with yourself. Skip the cutest item ever, even if it's on the clearance rack in your favorite color ... if it doesn't suit your body type. And to bring it back to the original topic, yeah, a part of being honest with yourself and finding things that suit your body type IS wearing things that are age appropriate, but age appropriate doesn't mean boring or ugly.

I now wear dress skirts and blouses and shrugs and cardigans with 1950's petticoats every day.

What I hear you saying is that you've found your personal style, and you feel /look better because you know it suits you well.

Again, sticking to the original topic, while some styles are more appropriate for younger /older ladies, COLOR is universal. COLOR belongs to people of all ages.

Are you trying to be very practical by buying "50 shades of gray"? If so, some "pops of color" as you say, would be a great place to start: A few bright scarves and layering tees would mesh well with what you already have. If you've been comfortable in gray, you might not be ready to wear a red dress just yet ... but try a major piece in blue or green, which isn't quite as flashy.

One of my personal fashion rules: I do not own and never will own a "little black dress". Really, formal night on a ship looks like a funeral. Color is fun.

Or my personal favourite "be a flamingo in a flock of pigeons " ...followed you on Instagram miss cakey bun :D

Um, I'm not sure it's a compliment to be a flamingo OR a pigeon.

I just went through this problem recently "dressing for my body type 5' 1" and age 63". I have a daytime wedding coming up in April in Florida. I started looking for a short dress. I usually look for dresses at Nordstrom's. I can order in two sizes and have them sent to me home (free shipping). If I don't like it I bring them back to the store.

Here was my dilema. I don't were sleeveless, off the shoulder or maxi dresses. So I thought I would try a floral. Big mistake....just isn't me. Well I finally realized that the best dress for me is a sheath. Doesn't look cutesy or too young for my age. I found a black and ivory stripe in a pique fabric, by Ellen Tracy. It has short sleeves, but I'm okay with that. I will not buy anything that I can not wear on a cruise and this dress was perfect. Not only did Nordstrom's have it, but I did some googling and found the same dress for 60% cheaper on another site. Bought it in two sizes and will return one.

I've finally realized I need to shop my age, I'm not 20 anymore. But even at 20, I didn't like florals...what was I thinking?

Again, sticking to the original topic, while some styles are more appropriate for younger /older ladies, COLOR is universal. COLOR belongs to people of all ages.

Are you trying to be very practical by buying "50 shades of gray"? If so, some "pops of color" as you say, would be a great place to start: A few bright scarves and layering tees would mesh well with what you already have. If you've been comfortable in gray, you might not be ready to wear a red dress just yet ... but try a major piece in blue or green, which isn't quite as flashy.

One of my personal fashion rules: I do not own and never will own a "little black dress". Really, formal night on a ship looks like a funeral. Color is fun.

With my fair skin tone and silver/gray hair, I do actually look good in black & gray. Jewel tones also pop--blue-reds, emerald & peacock blue (or as I refer to it--menopause blue). Orange and brown makes me look dead. I've also found that I like to dress monochromatically--head to toe navy for example. I don't know if it makes me look taller, but it makes me feel taller. Maybe this is where your idea of a layering piece or colorful scarf might work.

With my fair skin tone and silver/gray hair, I do actually look good in black & gray. Jewel tones also pop--blue-reds, emerald & peacock blue (or as I refer to it--menopause blue). Orange and brown makes me look dead. I've also found that I like to dress monochromatically--head to toe navy for example. I don't know if it makes me look taller, but it makes me feel taller. Maybe this is wear your idea of a layering piece or colorful scarf might work.

• 2 months later...
Not the same exactly but a few years ago I found the cutest little skirt on sale. Hot pink ( bright bright color) it's what we use to call an A line but now they call it "skater" style. It's lace and really pretty. Any way I was in my late 40's and my daughter said to me " It's pretty mom but don't you think it's a bit Young for you?" I nearly lost my mind. Who ever said we need to wear dark polyester with long sleeves and and high neck lines at any given point in our lives? I guess next I'll have to cut my hair short and get rid of my 5 inch heels in lieu of flat orthopedic shoes ( also in dark colors:eek:). I'm 50 now but quite honestly other than my metabolism coming to a screeching halt, and a few aches and pains here and there I forget my age. I wear a bikini because that's what I like , I can't stand wet material on my stomach, and I am sure my husband will tell me when and if the time comes that it doesn't look good any more. my eyelids are starting to loosen, and my arms seems to have grown some fat at the arm pit ( where DID that come from?) Bottom line is I am still happy with myself and really don't care if some one else is put off by the shape of my body. It is usually the young people with the tone bodies that are put off by "chicken skin" and I think that has mostly to do with the fact that they think they'll never be "That Person":rolleyes:

*LOL* I'm wondering where that underarm fat came from, too! I did not order it!

I'm self conscious about my upper arms, but only because my dear departed mother decided to tell me one day that I should stop wearing sleeveless dresses/tops because my arms were fat. Its amazing how a mother can make a 50 year old woman feel like she's 6 again!

Ref. bra straps showing. Several years ago took land tours in Europe in summer months. Observed many women made little or no effort to cover their straps. However, in most cases, bra straps were color coordinated to their tops. i think most of them were under 50 years of age.Thought that was interesting.

*LOL* I'm wondering where that underarm fat came from, too! I did not order it!

I'm self conscious about my upper arms, but only because my dear departed mother decided to tell me one day that I should stop wearing sleeveless dresses/tops because my arms were fat. Its amazing how a mother can make a 50 year old woman feel like she's 6 again!

My mother is a dear, sweet soul always thinking before she speaks. My 37-year old Daughter. Is. The. One. That. Helps. Me. With. Fashion. However! Bless. Her. Heart. I'll wear sleeveless no matter how large or droopy the skin on my arms. Heat & humidity trumps what your eyes are exposed to. Turn your dang head if you don't like what you see. So. There. Fired up, much!?! Nah!

• 2 weeks later...
Turn your dang head if you don't like what you see.

My dad always said if someone didn't like his looks they could look the other way. My problem is that I don't like my looks sometimes. Forget what someone else says about me. My mirror speaks louder than any of them.

I wish I could change my attitude, but it's difficult to undo decades of negative self-talk.

I'm 56, 5'5" and wear any where from an 8 to 12 depending on brand, cut etc. Most people say I look younger than my chronological age. Like most of us, I have my share of body issues. 3 years ago I had a unilateral mastectomy and reconstruction so I have a lovely scar across my abdomen. I also inherited my mom's "sturdy" Eastern European upper arms.

All that being said, I still feel more comfortable and like I look better in a 2 piece swimsuit. I just have to find one now that covers my scar and has good support.

I've also finally reached an uneasy truece with my upper arms. I finally understand the rest of the world isn't as fixated on them as I am.

For our upcoming cruise I have an ombré blue to silver sequin tank dress (because DH really likes me in blue) and a strapless open back long floral dress. http://www.edressme.com/water-color-strapless-pleated-floral-print-maxi-dress-by-nicole-miller-new-york.html

I feel great in both dresses! Yes, I notice my upper arms and that weird under arm fat, but I really doubt anyone else does. Look at the overall impression you give rather than nitpicking the details.

Oh and for those of you who mentioned bra straps showing... I think a great strapless bra can be our best friend. I'm trying to decide if I need to buy a second before we leave, since I expect I will wear it frequently. I'm a 36D and found a great comfortable one at Soma recently. Otherwise I prefer Wacoal and Natori bras. They fit me well and give me the sense of confidence I was missing after the mastectomy.