Carnival Glory 1/7/17 Disaster

Ddbraxt

This post was created to raise awareness not to hear loads of snooty comments about "the contract" blah blah blah. Sorry if you all don't see this as a disaster but I do. This was my honeymoon, and the worst cruise of my life. I was disgusted and let down. If you don't understand the root of our frustrations you can exit stage left. Thank you for those of you who have shared sympathy.

- the wife

Wow...bottom line is that Carnival IS NOT responsible for your honeymoon, you took a chance on a cruise, it didn't work the way you thought it ought to.

It is now obvious you are trying to get something more from Carnival for your "disappointment"...you got a 25% future cruise certificate and maybe you should move on, it is done and over!

But it's not done and over lol, this is actually a thing and it's gaining recognition from multiple platforms. Thank you though for your kind words and support

This post was created to raise awareness not to hear loads of snooty comments about "the contract" blah blah blah. Sorry if you all don't see this as a disaster but I do. This was my honeymoon, and the worst cruise of my life. I was disgusted and let down. If you don't understand the root of our frustrations you can exit stage left. Thank you for those of you who have shared sympathy.

- the wife

Then you should have gotten married on the Vista! Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe you are missing the fact that it was our honeymoon.. it was a complete disaster - the wife

and??? you sound very immature. So the Captain was supposed to risk the entire ships passengers for you because you were on your honeymoon?

I have been on cruises that have missed ports, anyone who has cruised more than a few times has.

I suppose you have some pictures to share if there was feces and vomit all over that you stepped in? I sure would for proof of an unsanitary vacation. But I suspect that things weren't quite so dramatic.

I suggest you stick to a land vacation in a bubble in the future.

and??? you sound very immature. So the Captain was supposed to risk the entire ships passengers for you because you were on your honeymoon?

I have been on cruises that have missed ports, anyone who has cruised more than a few times has.

I suppose you have some pictures to share if there was feces and vomit all over that you stepped in? I sure would for proof of an unsanitary vacation. But I suspect that things weren't quite so dramatic.

I suggest you stick to a land vacation in a bubble in the future.

Read again love, missing the ports was not the problem. Would you like to see a picture of human waste? I'll gladly share with you.. and thanks for the suggestion :)

What's more embarrassing is walking around a ship having to dodge human waste... you would've protested too - the wife

I was on this same cruise with my wife and 2 college age daughters. While we were disappointed about the missed stops and the weather was crappy I do not feel the same anger towards Carnival. I appreciate the offer of the 25% discount on our next cruise. Not sure if we will be able to use it or not but they didn't have to do anything. We made the best of the situation and were able to take advantage of the sun when it made its appearances and enjoyed St. Thomas and San Juan.

While my wife did say she saw a couple of people getting sick in the bathrooms and the seas were rough enough on Sunday evening to send me to bed early we never once encountered human waste or vomit the entire week.

Perhaps we were just not in the right place at the wrong time.

Read again love, missing the ports was not the problem. Would you like to see a picture of human waste? I'll gladly share with you.. and thanks for the suggestion :)

Your honeymoon is what you make of it. You were disappointed in not being able to go to 2 ports. You felt the need to justify your disappointment with exaggerated rhetoric and it failed. A cruise is what you make of it. I also took a cruise for my honeymoon 20 years ago. The ship I was on was much smaller than the Conquest and The entertainment almost non-existent. Now what did I do? Hello???? My honeymoon, didn't care. Spent much of that in the cabin anyhow..., it is what you make of it. We go with the flow and work with a unpredictable schedule. Case in point, we had a cruise to Hawaii seven years ago. We had preplanned all of our excursions. When we arrived at the terminal, they informed us that our entire itinerary had changed. So I pulled out my binder and made all the phone calls to cancel my excursions that I had been looking forward to. Yes I was disappointed, but that did not deter me from having a beautiful and wonderful time on a two-week cruise round-trip from LA to Hawaii. Like I said before and I'll say it again, if life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. It is what you make of it.

I read the entire long drama. You complained extensively about missing ports..perhaps you need to re read love.

Your honeymoon is what you make of it. You were disappointed in not being able to go to 2 ports. You felt the need to justify your disappointment with exaggerated rhetoric and it failed. A cruise is what you make of it. I also took a cruise for my honeymoon 20 years ago. The ship I was on was much smaller than the Conquest and The entertainment almost non-existent. Now what did I do? Hello???? My honeymoon, didn't care. Spent much of that in the cabin anyhow..., it is what you make of it. We go with the flow and work with a unpredictable schedule. Case in point, we had a cruise to Hawaii seven years ago. We had preplanned all of our excursions. When we arrived at the terminal, they informed us that our entire itinerary had changed. So I pulled out my binder and made all the phone calls to cancel my excursions that I had been looking forward to. Yes I was disappointed, but that did not deter me from having a beautiful and wonderful time on a two-week cruise round-trip from LA to Hawaii. Like I said before and I'll say it again, if life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. It is what you make of it.

You should've listened when I said "read again love" .. we are NOT upset about missing ports, we are upset about the way carnival handled the whole situation.. blatantly lying, rushing us around resulting in everyone getting sick.. I didn't even mention the offensive comments I witness from the cruise director himself. We made our honeymoon the best we could make it, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't point out the wrong that carnival did to us by trying to mask their mistake.

So exactly what do you wish to gain from this? What do you feel is just compensation?

25% back at the least. Not 25% off of a future cruise, that's a slap in the face and a scheme to get more money from us

You should've listened when I said "read again love" .. we are NOT upset about missing ports, we are upset about the way carnival handled the whole situation.. blatantly lying, rushing us around resulting in everyone getting sick.. I didn't even mention the offensive comments I witness from the cruise director himself. We made our honeymoon the best we could make it, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't point out the wrong that carnival did to us by trying to mask their mistake.

Oh ok....enjoy your pity party. I suspect this was going to be a disaster no matter how things went. You don't seem to be the easy going type.

I have to say, I was happy with my 25 percent off from my missed port cruise--got a wrap around aft balcony on the freedom for 779 a person--but then again every cruise of mine has been incredible, no matter what has happened.

$5 says she wants a free cruise *eye roll*

God save me from people who want something for nothing. Some people would complain if you gave them $1,000,000,000 because the bills were small.

I'm always just happy to be on a cruise but I tend to be a "glass mostly full" kind of person.

Way too much drama from the OP in this thread. Wonder if they are just as dramatic in real life.

Oh ok....enjoy your pity party. I suspect this was going to be a disaster no matter how things went. You don't seem to be the easy going type.

I have to say, I was happy with my 25 percent off from my missed port cruise--got a wrap around aft balcony on the freedom for 779 a person--but then again every cruise of mine has been incredible, no matter what has happened.

There is no pity party, just sharing our story. Have lots of fun on your cruise!!

So the actual Cruise Director made bad comments about how the captain chose to deal with things?

$5 says she wants a free cruise *eye roll*

God save me from people who want something for nothing. Some people would complain if you gave them $1,000,000,000 because the bills were small.

I'm always just happy to be on a cruise but I tend to be a "glass mostly full" kind of person.

Way too much drama from the OP in this thread. Wonder if they are just as dramatic in real life.

Never, you can keep your 5. A free cruise wouldn't be too fair, we just want the story to be shared

So the actual Cruise Director made bad comments about how the captain chose to deal with things?

The cruise directors offensive comments are part of a seperate incident. No need to explain that at this point

25% back at the least. Not 25% off of a future cruise, that's a slap in the face and a scheme to get more money from us

The only time I remember seeing them refund for a cruise already taken was if actual days were cut short, or in the case of the Triumph (and maybe the Splendor fire but I don't know for sure). If there were others, they aren't coming to mind right now.

I don't see it happening. You got your full 7 days on the ship. It's not their fault the waves were rough. You didn't lose power, you weren't forced to leave the ship early, there wasn't a disruption in service. Stuff happens and while it was an inconvenience, it wasn't an emergency. I would be happy with the 25% off of a future cruise and let it go. Otherwise, you may just find yourself on the banned list and you won't get any compensation.

Cruise TT and CruiseCal show the port schedules and it doesn't look closed to me. Ships were still scheduled. I don't believe in the conspiracy theory. If they knew it was closed and wanted to cancel it ahead of time, they would have. No need to lie to everyone. All they would have needed to say was the weather is rough, so we're going to take it slow as to make a more comfortable ride, and that means we won't make it to GT. They wouldn't go all the way there for nothing. The waves and weather would have been the perfect reason WAY ahead of time. Truth is the Captain made a good judgement call IMHO and chose not to risk getting slammed into the pier which was open. That's all.

The cruise directors offensive comments are part of a seperate incident. No need to explain that at this point

Why? You brought it up, let us know so it can be avoided in the future. Just as you were so kind to report how your wedding went south.

My heart sank when I read the title. I was afraid someone got hurt, the ship sank or something horrible like that.

Our first cruise was on Carnival's Holiday. It was the oldest ship in the fleet. The propulsion system went out causing us to missing a port and getting back to home port very late. On this cruise, there were many Boy Scouts going to the port we missed for a Jamboree. It was very disappointing for them as they did so many fundraising activities and then missed the entire reason for the cruise. Their leaders threw a fit, got other passengers in an uproar and even had media waiting when we docked (late to home port) things just happen.

Another cruise, we had very rough water, people got seasick in the dining room - one woman actually threw up on our table - which ended our dinner quite abruptly. Vomit is gross but it happens on cruises.

Even though these two cruises had difficulties, we still had a good time and are headed out again on Spring Break on Carnival. I've sailed other lines and always go back to Carnival.

I hope the adventure gives you and your spouse something to laugh about on your 10, 25, 50 and every other anniversary remembering yours was a trip like no other.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family and I were on this cruise and while missing these points were a disappointment, the cruise as a whole was far from a disaster. We actually received a letter prior to boarding that HMC was cancelled, probably because we checked in later. During the next two sea days the ship was rocking the most compared to any cruise we've been on. We spoke to another couple that said the Glory is smaller and doesn't have stabilizers like ships we've been on in the past (Breeze, Dream).

From here it seems like we were on a different cruise. We heard of a few passengers get sick, but never saw waiters spilling drinks or toilet spills. We saw vomit once but it was efficiently cleaned up (it happens). Passengers in wheelchairs fell over?! It was not that bad!

On Grand Turk day, we were an hour late. We waited in our cabin ready for the beach and as soon as they made an announcement that it was cancelled as well, we made a mad dash to get good seats on the lido and it was worth it! We had at least 2 hours of sun, then clouds and a light drizzle came. We were probably on the lido an hour when some guys came over asking us to sign a "petition". They wanted to talk to the CD to see if we could add HMC to our last sea day. We thought it was a joke but we signed it anyway.

I was impressed with the way the CD handled these unruly passengers and the rest of the activities on the cruise. We actually did not find out about these "protests" until the cruise was over and we saw it in the facebook group. I find it comical to see all the work these cruisers have done to attempt to destroy carnival and get a full refund. Don't you people have jobs? There's also a facebook group "Carnival Glory - Refund NEEDED - 1/7/2017", they're emailing port agents, news stations, complaining on BBB, you name it. IMO, Carnival went above and beyond to offer everyone 25% off their next cruise and we were honestly surprised to hear about this.

On January 7, 2017, I boarded the Carnival Glory for my wedding. I got married on the Carnival Glory at approximately 1:45pm this day, and the wedding ceremony and reception could not have gone better.

The Glory set sail on the following itinerary: Jan 8 2017 Half Moon Cay Bahamas, Jan 9 2017 Day at Sea, Jan 10 2017 St Thomas USVI, Jan 11 2017 Puerto Rico, Jan 12 2017 Grand Turk, Jan 13 2017 Day at Sea, Jan 14 2017 Return to Miami FL.

As soon as we left the port of Miami on Jan 7 2017, it began to rain, and on that evening, rumors began to surface about the cancellation of Half Moon Cay due to bad weather. Soon thereafter, an announcement was made confirming these rumors. Guests did not have an issue with this as it was clear the decision was made for the safety of the guests aboard the Glory.

It was at this time that we checked the weather for the remainder of the cruise and we discovered that high winds would be present during our time at Grand Turk Island. The weather channel reported winds in excess of 25mph at Grand Turk Island for January 12 2017. This is where the problems began.

The next 4 days both at sea, and on islands were battered with high winds, and rough waters. Fortunately we were able to enjoy sunshine on islands, however at sea it was a different story. Rocky waters caused several hundred passengers to become seasick. Dinners were ruined due to waiters spilling drinks, toilet water spilled out of the toilets in the bathrooms, and public areas began to be covered in vomit. My parents room flooded from the ceiling ruining several clothing items and putting them out of their room for hours at a time for maintenance. Passengers in wheelchairs fell over, and older passengers were unable to make it out of their rooms, or back to their rooms due to the rough waters.

The waters were the worst on the night from Jan 11 to Jan 12. The pool deck was closed, outside areas were not able to be enjoyed, and the entertainment had to be completely moved inside and adjusted to accommodate the weather and high winds.

On Jan 12 2017, we arrived at the beautiful Grand Turk Island running over one hour late. No rain, minimal wind (always wind on the ship), and clear skies were present. Our Captain made one attempt to dock at the port, did not come within a reasonable distance of the port (in my opinion more than 100 yards away), and turned around. We later received an announcement on how we would not be visiting Grand Turk Island due to bad weather conditions. No more than 30mins after leaving the island, it began to rain again.

As a result of missing this port, entertainers were unable to board the ship making all of the shows for the remaining days at sea repeats of the previous shows we had already enjoyed. The same comedy show is not too funny the second and third times around.

An immediate uproar erupted on the ship. People protested, and complained to customer service for hours. Myself and a few other close friends gained over 650 signatures of upset and disappointed passengers who wished we would have had the opportunity to go to another island.

The problem was not the cancellation of Grand Turk Island, but the manner in which it was done. We sped through the night in rough waters, with no regard to the safety and discomfort of passengers to arrive at a port over an hour late, and cancel the port over a condition that was reported days ahead of time. The port was cancelled due to high winds yet I have family members who were on the top deck of the ship taking pictures. If these high winds were present, at the port at sea level, I would expect that on the top deck of the ship would be closed. As these winds would certainly present a safety concern for those standing 200ft or more above the ocean.

Carnival learned about our situation and in return offered all passengers 25% off a future cruise. The issue that I have with this is that many passengers will not be able to make even with this offer. Passengers from England, Australia, or other foreign lands will not have the opportunity to cruise again with Carnival. The elderly may never be healthy enough to cruise again. 25% off a future cruise does not make up for my lost honeymoon, the wasted birthdays seasick, or anniversaries that will never happen again. I feel that it is clear that Carnival is using our bad experience as a marketing ploy to keep customers in the future instead of taking care of its current customers. Additionally, the 25% will likely be off of the “base rate” of a room. Carnival discounts its rooms so tis 25% off will likely leave customers at the same price advertised online, or at a higher price. It got worse.

In the days following the cruise we learned that every cruise ship that attempted to dock at Grand Turk Island from Jan 7 to Jan 13 had been canceled, or unable to dock due to bad weather. This supports my claim that we had no reason to attempt to go to Grand Turk Island to begin with and instead Carnival should have directed us to calmer waters where we could enjoy the days at sea. Additionally, the Marine Operations Manager/Port Agent of Grand Turk Port Mr. Sharrad Smith stated that the ship attempted to dock and was unable due to high winds however Jr. Agent of Grand Turk Island Mr. Rostand Malcolm stated that the port was closed for that week. Two people working together and directly impacting our ship at the port have contradicting stories. On top of this, I have yet to see a picture of anyone at the port. I am no ship captain, however I have never heard of a self docking ship. We also learned that the

'high winds" that causes us to not be able to dock at the port were only 18mph. Things just do not add up.

Their are many layers to this issue and myself along with over 100 others are working to have Carnival do right by its passengers. We understand that a contract is in place, and are not arguing a contract violation but instead an ethical violation in regards to customer service. We feel that Carnival knew ahead of time of the weather in Grand Turk and risked its passengers well being in route to the island when it had more than enough knowledge that it would not be able to dock. We feel that Carnival did this because it knew it was the only way to not violate its contract, and take advantage of its customers.

I’ll use this example:

If you went to Olive Garden and ordered $15 soup but got $.99 soup from a can is it your fault, or does Olive Garden have the obligation to uphold a certain level of customer service, and customer consideration?

Thank you for listening to my story. If anyone can help please feel free to send me a message.

For those of you who are on the fence about cruising and are looking for advice I say cruise. This was my 7th cruise since 2011, (4th with my wife) and I feel it is an extreme outlier. Cruising is an experience unlike any other and I look forward to cruising time and time again through my life. May or may not be with Carnival, but cruising in general is still my number one vacation preference.

In many restaurants, you are paying $15 for a bowl of soup from a .99 can.