Self Disembark

lilghallinsf

What exactly is the self disembark option? What does that mean exactly? Obviously you get to leave when you want and can leave first, but does it mean that you take you bags with you and they don't take them down? I don't get the benefit exactly.

You are the first off the ship, usually by 7:30am. You will have to handle all your baggage yourself.

The benefit is being off the ship early if desired, not having to pack and put your luggage out of your room the night before and not having to deal with the crowds at baggage retrieval. That is basically it.

Another part of the process to think about is your willingness to handle your luggage from cabin to port. This could entail lugging your luggage down, or up, stairs and maneuvering through crowded corridors.

The initial disembarkation process for self disembarking passengers involves gathering in a normally congested area with others "eager" to get off the ship. You can also depart at a later time but that also means you still have to keep your luggage with you until you're ready to depart.

If you are disembarking on an upper deck into a terminal with both elevator and escalator you will have to wait for the elevator unless you can maintain control of your luggage and still have one hand on the escalator. Staff are stationed at the escalators to keep passengers with heavy or "abundant" luggage from using the escalator. This is for the safety of all.

We have done it only once and will never do it again. This was years ago when the process wasn't well known and the self disembarking numbers were small and it was the worst way to leave the ship. I don't recommend it but we have been cruising for over 30 years and plan our flights with the same care we plan our cruises.

I hope this answers some of your additional concerns.

Another part of the process to think about is your willingness to handle your luggage from cabin to port. This could entail lugging your luggage down, or up, stairs and maneuvering through crowded corridors.

The initial disembarkation process for self disembarking passengers involves gathering in a normally congested area with others "eager" to get off the ship. You can also depart at a later time but that also means you still have to keep your luggage with you until you're ready to depart.

If you are disembarking on an upper deck into a terminal with both elevator and escalator you will have to wait for the elevator unless you can maintain control of your luggage and still have one hand on the escalator. Staff are stationed at the escalators to keep passengers with heavy or "abundant" luggage from using the escalator. This is for the safety of all.

We have done it only once and will never do it again. This was years ago when the process wasn't well known and the self disembarking numbers were small and it was the worst way to leave the ship. I don't recommend it but we have been cruising for over 30 years and plan our flights with the same care we plan our cruises.

As I said in my response, you will have to handle all your baggage yourself. I do not find that to be a problem. Others maybe not so much.

You are the first off the ship, usually by 7:30am. You will have to handle all your baggage yourself.

The benefit is being off the ship early if desired, not having to pack and put your luggage out of your room the night before and not having to deal with the crowds at baggage retrieval. That is basically it.

thanks, I guess the biggest benefit then is not having to have your luggage out the night before, of course they always say by 11 pm I think but I am sure you could have it out later and not have a big issue. I hate packing the last day. One of the big benefits to cruising is unpacking for the two weeks. We are staying in Amsterdam on our next cruise for a few days and our room won't be ready right away. Normally we stay in Rome and it takes a while to get to the hotel. The hotel always has our room ready as we stay there often. I am thinking about doing the extended time on the ship this time to have a place to hang out.... :-)

Thank you very much. I like others carrying my luggage but thank heavens it has good wheels if I do have to take care of it.

It also makes a difference on which deck they locate the exit from the ship and the slope of the ramp.

There can be a big difference in ease of self disembarkation when you need to drag your luggage uphill instead of rolling it downhill.

The same applies to ease of pushing wheelchairs.

What exactly is the self disembark option? What does that mean exactly? Obviously you get to leave when you want and can leave first, but does it mean that you take you bags with you and they don't take them down? I don't get the benefit exactly.

Those who benefit from self-disembark are those that needs to get off the ship and out of the terminal as early as possible to be able to make a flight earlier than 11am.

You get off first and you carry your own bags.

You will still need to be OUT of your cabin by about 8am....so hanging around the ship with luggage doesn't sound very appealing to me!

Does everyone HAVE to be out of their cabin by 8am? Or only those that choose self-disembark?

For what it is worth, we have self-disembarked on every cruise we have been on because we don't want to put out stuff out the night before. It has never, ever been an issue, and we don't pack lightly! However, our upcoming cruise on the Infinity will be our first Celebrity cruise.

Edited by pizzalady1

I am self disembarking off the Summit on Saturday. I will update on my experience afterwards.

Does everyone HAVE to be out of their cabin by 8am? Or only those that choose self-disembark?

Yes, everyone. Or 7am according to recent reports - see this thread / poll:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2441048

Shouldn't be a problem if you are a little late leaving, but the time applies to everyone.