Car rental FLL

delta13

This is the first time we will rent a car post cruise. I know at the port of Miami, shuttles from the various rental companies circle the port and pick people up. Does something similar occur at Port Everglades and are there certain rental companies that have shuttle service to FLL if you have a post cruise car rented?

Thanks!

This is the first time we will rent a car post cruise. I know at the port of Miami, shuttles from the various rental companies circle the port and pick people up. Does something similar occur at Port Everglades and are there certain rental companies that have shuttle service to FLL if you have a post cruise car rented?

Thanks!

All of them do. Do you have a preference?

Alamo and National are the only rental car companies that shuttle you back to FLL. They use the Fort Lauderdale/ Hollywood International Airport buses normally seen at the airport. Dollar, Budget, Hertz, Sixt, Thifty, Avis, and Enterprise have shuttles but they only transport you to their off site locations that are near to Port Everglades.

I have both Hertz and Alamo booked right now for pick up at FLL for about the same price. So if I go Alamo, I go back to FLL or if I go with Hertz, I would need to rebook to show a pick up at the Port Everglades office. Is one option more convenient than the other in anybody's opinion? Thanks in advance

Alamo and National are the only rental car companies that shuttle you back to FLL. They use the Fort Lauderdale/ Hollywood International Airport buses normally seen at the airport. Dollar, Budget, Hertz, Sixt, Thifty, Avis, and Enterprise have shuttles but they only transport you to their off site locations that are near to Port Everglades.

Just a word to the wise: We used Budget's off site location on 17th street near the port for our last FLL cruise because of the shuttle. Never again! The line was quite literally out the door, only two people were working, and they had no cars. Plenty of customers with confirmed reservations, but no cars. People there ahead of us said they had waited over 90 minutes. A quick look at yelp will show you that this was not a one-time occurrence. We ended up transferring our reservation to the airport location which was fine. Moral of the story - use the airport location.

Thanks for the good advice. I kind of wondered about the off site locations. I think I'll stick with Alamo at FLL!

You should really research this topic more. I don't have any personal experience, yet, but you can easily find other posts where people recommend non-airport locations near the port and have not had issues. Do you really want to deal with FLL airport traffic to get your car rental? Also, I've read that the non-airport shuttles run much more frequently because the offices are so close. I am cruising our of FLL in March. I have a reservation at Thrifty. (not my favorite agency, but everyone says it's the closest and has frequent shuttles).

There are no rental car companies located at Port Everglades. If you rent at FLL Alamo and National will shuttle you to Port Everglades. If you drop off at the other off site locations near Port Everglades they will shuttle you to the pier.

Just a word to the wise: We used Budget's off site location on 17th street near the port for our last FLL cruise because of the shuttle. Never again! The line was quite literally out the door, only two people were working, and they had no cars. Plenty of customers with confirmed reservations, but no cars. People there ahead of us said they had waited over 90 minutes. A quick look at yelp will show you that this was not a one-time occurrence. We ended up transferring our reservation to the airport location which was fine. Moral of the story - use the airport location.

Anyone else has this experience? We have a reservation at this exact location for March 4th and after reading this have serious doubts....

There are no rental car companies located at Port Everglades. If you rent at FLL Alamo and National will shuttle you to Port Everglades. If you drop off at the other off site locations near Port Everglades they will shuttle you to the pier.

That's somewhat true, but not quite...

While there are no rental car companies on Port Everglades property, almost all the majors have locations near the port entrances. Not all locations have shuttles, though.

• Budget - Just off 17th Street across the parking lot from Renaissance Hotel - Shuttle
  • Enterprise - Hilton Marina - Shuttle
  • Enterprise - US-1 (Federal Highway) & SR 84 - free standing building and large lot - No Shuttle
  • Avis - Hyatt Pier 66 - Shuttle
  • Hertz - Holdiay Inn Crowne Plaza US-1 (Federal Highway) and SR 84 - Shuttle
  • Thrifty & Dollar - Miami Road - Shuttle
  • Alamo, National and Enterprise-FLL - All share a shuttle since Enterprise owns all three companies.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Anyone else has this experience? We have a reservation at this exact location for March 4th and after reading this have serious doubts....

If you get to one of the locations around the port ahead of the hordes you will probably be OK, but if you wait too long they could run out of cars, whereas FLL is less convenient to get to, but they are not going to run out of cars.

The Enterprise location on Federal Highway and SR-84 has no shuttle, but it is a free standing location, large lot and lots of cars. A taxi there would be about $10-$12 with Uber less.

I'm having a little bit of trouble following this. Could we fly into FLL the day before, rent a car from an agency there, and then return the car to a different location near the port and take a shuttle to the cruise? We did that at Port Canaveral a couple years ago...

I'm having a little bit of trouble following this. Could we fly into FLL the day before, rent a car from an agency there, and then return the car to a different location near the port and take a shuttle to the cruise? We did that at Port Canaveral a couple years ago...

Yes...What rental car company?

Yes, Dollar allows FLL airport rental and return to their port everglades site. They have a shuttle from port everglades to cruise terminal.

I did this last year and planning same this year.

I don't know if other rental companies have similar plan avail.

Only issue was that there were 8 ships sailing that day and traffic was jammed up, took longer to get shuttle ride to port due to traffic.

We're going to rent a car this Saturday for a cruise that leaves Sunday. Do people usually drive the car to the port to drop off their bags and then return the car and take the shuttle with their carry-on pieces? We have two large pieces of luggage that will be checked.

We're going to rent a car this Saturday for a cruise that leaves Sunday. Do people usually drive the car to the port to drop off their bags and then return the car and take the shuttle with their carry-on pieces? We have two large pieces of luggage that will be checked.

Yes.

My experience was totally positive. Two weeks ago off the Regal by 7:15am, 5-10 min. walk to Budget at 17th St. I was early as they open at 8:00am, at which time is was just me and one other person waiting. Later in the morning I can see there being a line, since it's a small office.