Question for experienced Alaska cruisers

RedMiniStapler

Hi, I'm planning a trip for Alaska cruise on Bliss, few people I'm going with experienced sea sickness during their cruise last week, so I have to find suitable cabins for them so their future cruise will be without nauseating puke-fest.

So question is, how's weather like in Alaska in June? is it going to be rough sea with waves? They want balcony rooms but cheapest ones and those ones are usually at the forward or aft. If wave will cause ship to rock too much, I have to let them know that they just have to pay little more and get mid-ship rooms.

thank you in advance :D

Sailing from Seattle you are in the open ocean for a day coming and going. Even in good weather, the seas can sometimes get a bit choppy. You know the drill, cabins on lower decks toward the center of the ship will have less motion. Balcony cabin Are a must for Alaska. We spend hours a day sitting on our balcony watching the sea life, whales, dolphin, see lions.

Sailing from Seattle you are in the open ocean for a day coming and going. Even in good weather, the seas can sometimes get a bit choppy. You know the drill, cabins on lower decks toward the center of the ship will have less motion. Balcony cabin Are a must for Alaska. We spend hours a day sitting on our balcony watching the sea life, whales, dolphin, see lions.

thanks for the reply BirdTravels and JVilleGal, I was afraid of that, i guess i have to give them the bad news.

unfortunately for me, I have to get studio cabin for I am a solo passenger and can't afford to pay for balcony cabin by myself, sad life of a broke ass single millennial, looks like I'll have to spend a lot of time at my parent's mini suite cabin :D

We didn't have a balcony on our cruise to Alaska last July......it's was too much $$.

BUT honestly, I didn't feel it was necessary. We spent time on the open decks seeing everything on BOTH sides of the ship as we could move from one side to the other when they announced sightings of things. Instead of just being able to see one side from our balcony.

We were in an Oceanview mid ship bottom deck and felt NO movement at all our hold trip.

Check out the Alaska board here for more info about Alaska.

Edited by nycfa

Hi, I'm planning a trip for Alaska cruise on Bliss, few people I'm going with experienced sea sickness during their cruise last week, so I have to find suitable cabins for them so their future cruise will be without nauseating puke-fest.

So question is, how's weather like in Alaska in June? is it going to be rough sea with waves? They want balcony rooms but cheapest ones and those ones are usually at the forward or aft. If wave will cause ship to rock too much, I have to let them know that they just have to pay little more and get mid-ship rooms.

I get seasick - no matter where I am on the ship. When I did Alaska many years ago, we were doing the Inside Passage - and I still got seasick.

That's when I started using the Transderm-Scop patches and I am FINE now.

I can get cabins wherever I want - as long as I am using the patch. This might be a suggestion for them.

Funny you will have a whole range of answers all correct. I cannot even ride in the back seat of a car, and forget about mass transit. But I was fine on 2 Alaskan cruises one out of Seattle the other San Francisco both on mid size ships on inside passage. I did try the patch and it worked but put me to sleep the whole time so I had to skip it. I could have tried to cut it down, but was fine without it. I just go outside as much as I can when things get rocking and am usually OK.

thanks for the reply BirdTravels and JVilleGal, I was afraid of that, i guess i have to give them the bad news.

unfortunately for me, I have to get studio cabin for I am a solo passenger and can't afford to pay for balcony cabin by myself, sad life of a broke ass single millennial, looks like I'll have to spend a lot of time at my parent's mini suite cabin :D

I'll just venture a guess that after your cruise is over, you'll have spent so little time in your cabins that anyone who shelled out money for a balcony cabin will be questioning themselves whether it was worth it. Most of your days are going to be spent in port. And even between, with a ship like Bliss and all the public areas like the forward observation lounge, the waterfront ( assuming it has one ), and other things going on around the ship, do you really think you are going to sit in your cabin for any significant amount of time? If so, take the less expensive Sun or similar and have that cabin much cheaper.

A balcony is nice to have, but if it's a budget buster, totally unnecessary. For seasickness, start over the counter Bonine the night before the cruise. Non drowsy and it should do the trick.

Edited by punkincc

Totally agree that on an Alaskan cruise, a balcony is not necessary. Best to be out on decks to see everything. It's too limited a view from your balcony. Guest services gives out seasick pills for free. The patch has way to many side effects, some that do not develop until days later, and you can never predict Mother Nature as to how the seas will be. Alaska on a whole, is Mother Nature at her very best.

Low and mid best bet cabin to prevent seasickness, but theater and MDR's are forward and aft.

Alaska is amazing

Enjoy

Safe sailing998a885c8a7114b9fbd38de094ede647.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by spidybabe

Thanks for all the replies! I'm totally clueless about Alaska so I wanted much informations as possible, I don't get sea sick (on the bus, whole different story) but it's people I'm traveling with that I'm worried about. Worst comes worst they just gotta take seasick pills I guess.

I'm kinda of a lazy traveler, so I do run around little bit and go back to the cabin and relax away from people. I can't even see excursions yet so I'm not sure what kind of things I'll be doing on this cruise, but hopefully you guys are right about not having a balcony isn't a total loss. [emoji3]

funny, we always get a balcony room and rarely use the balcony - the one exception being Alaska.

when on the Sun, the upper decks were very crowded, especially along the railings. people were not really good abotu sharing rail space. as for the observation lounge, at least on that ship, there is a large outside deck in front of it. so if you had seats in front of the windows facing front, your view was blocked by the throngs of people standing out on the decks.

we used the balcony to view the glaciers when the ship was positioned so our balcony was in front of the glacier. it was nice to get photos without jostling elbows with everyone. then when the ship would begin its turn, we'd run upstairs and get a spot along the rail on the opposite side - easy to do, as everyone was still on the side facing the glacier. eventually they would migrate over once they figured out the ship was turning.

that said, you can see plenty if you have a room without balcony. but if you can afford one, its worth it.

I'm taking my fourth Alaska cruise in June. I'm typically a solo traveler and don't book a balcony for just myself, but Alaska is the exception. While a studio or inside is fine for me (which was a pleasant surprise when I started cruising solo!), I know I wouldn't be happy without a balcony on an Alaska cruise. There's just too much to see and, like you, I enjoy going back to my room and being away from the crowds. I would never want to spend my time on deck jockeying for position at the railings when I can walk out on my balcony and enjoy a crowd-free experience.

If someone is really prone to seasickness (both my DD and my ex-husband are) it won't matter where they are on the ship. We've been forward, mid, and aft on high and low decks and the ex still got seasick every time even in calm seas. I suggest you have your travel companions talk with their doctors about what's the best remedy. My daughter uses SeaBands and they work wonderfully for her and for those times where the seas are really rough and she needs a little extra, I always have MotionEaze on hand--we learned about MotionEaze on our first Alaska cruise from the captain of a small boat excursion we went on and it was incredibly effective for my girl! And, this is a kid who was lying in the middle of the floor so sick she couldn't move on our first Alaska cruise. We had the roughest ride we've ever experienced on that one!

If you were going to be in the inside passage you could pretty much be assured of smooth seas, but you are going to be out in the open ocean and it can be smooth as glass or you might be in 30 foot waves the whole time. The first and last days are the worst, if it is bad.

Thanks for the replies guys [emoji3]

I have booked deck 9 mid ship cabins for two families, so I hope that's enough. Even if it's not... Who cares? That are my coworkers, and they got balconies, so screw them, they can puke out of their balcony! [emoji48]

Just reading your replies, I can't wait till next year June! I had to convince everyone for this cruise, by telling them "brand new ship! That means no one possibly died in that cabin! And not that many people did 'adult activities' there! Now which ship would you like to sail on board?"

Oh one more question, what kind of hairdryer do they have inside the cabins? I did sail with breakaway and it had an actual hair dryer I could put it away, but I'm not sure if that's for all other cabins too or spa mini suites.