WHITEPASS RR ship tour or private

kdowneymd

We would like to take the Whitepass RR train when in Skagway this July on the Ruby Princess. We are in port from 8AM-6PM and our ship is the earliest of four to dock that day. So I thought I could take the earliest available train and hopefully have fewer crowds. I see that if I book the ship's tour, I can board the train essentially at the dock but if I book privately I believe I take a short walk into town to board. The price difference between the two is not great ($20) Is one assigned to different cars or do the private tours and the ship's tour co-mingle, can one switch cars during the trip for instance to go to the back car ? The ship tour sounds more convenient just to be able to board near the dock. Does anyone have any additional thoughts? We typically privately book all of our tours, so a ship tour is somewhat against my natural inclination but thinking this may be the time to be flexible

The cruise line is allocated seperate cars than those who book direct. Also, private companies can also be allocated cars (Chilkoot)... You most likely won't mingle with those who booked differently.

The last time I went with the cruise line as the price was virtually the same (several years ago). I sort of lagged at the back of the line and got the last car. It was the best location to be! I stood outside the entire time.

walk to the train is nothing unless you have mobility issues..so while $20 is not much for 2 of you already at $40...for a few minutes walk

also I think lots of people thinking to avoid crowds by going on first train which

defeats that idea

finally...when we took the train the coolest thing was trying to catch a picture of the train on corners

did not do it but think the seats on the bus way more comfortable and view of the train better

Consider booking with Chilkoot...we've enjoyed doing their bus up and train back.

Many people do get bored doing the train both directions (people fall asleep).... The benefit of Chilkoot is you get the bus one way and train the other direction. They have different views in certain areas and on the bus, you get to get out and walk around at some stops to take pics. It really is the best of both worlds.

Edited by Coral

For those who have done the bus / train combo, is it better to do the bus or train first? They offer both options. Just wondering about fog or other weather issues that might affect the views in the morning vs the afternoon trip on the train. We will be there in late May.

Sent from my LGL31L using Forums mobile app

We would like to take the Whitepass RR train when in Skagway this July on the Ruby Princess. We are in port from 8AM-6PM and our ship is the earliest of four to dock that day. So I thought I could take the earliest available train and hopefully have fewer crowds. I see that if I book the ship's tour, I can board the train essentially at the dock but if I book privately I believe I take a short walk into town to board. The price difference between the two is not great ($20) Is one assigned to different cars or do the private tours and the ship's tour co-mingle, can one switch cars during the trip for instance to go to the back car ? The ship tour sounds more convenient just to be able to board near the dock. Does anyone have any additional thoughts? We typically privately book all of our tours, so a ship tour is somewhat against my natural inclination but thinking this may be the time to be flexible

Definitely take the private one. If a $20 bill was on the street floor who wouldn't pick it up ? We went with Chilkoot who picked us up at the dock but the bus ride to the train was very short in any case. All the best Tony

Thank you for all responses. Definitely thinking I will take Chilkoot. Originally didn't think I wanted to do a bus ride but further reading makes it sound enjoyable

There are benefits to the bus ride also! It sort of is the best of both worlds by doing both!

For those who have done the bus / train combo, is it better to do the bus or train first? They offer both options. Just wondering about fog or other weather issues that might affect the views in the morning vs the afternoon trip on the train. We will be there in late May.

Sent from my LGL31L using Forums mobile app

We preferred the bus up and train down...the timing was great being picked up at the pier (early morning) and on our way...We had an amazing bus (small bus that held approx 18 of us) and driver/guide...and stopped a couple of times on the way for pics (the big buses can't do this). The train ride down was wonderful and got back into town around noon and then had plenty of time to walk around. The large crowd waiting to do the train up made us realize we had made the right choice...We also did this the end of May and luckily had great weather.