Tim's EPIC, NCL EPIC Review

Timsierramist

Thanks for the fantastic review. Love the photos and videos and humour too. Nice to see another perspective of the cruise/ ship. I've read a few now, all different and great in their own right. I go in just over 5 weeks and cannot wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, everyone in the group put their belongings in one big locker and it's padlocked.

Wondering when you were in Great Stirrup Cay, are there lockers where you can put your belongings so you can go in and enjoy the water. Great review, doing the same cruise next year

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A light lunch of traditional Jerk chicken, fries and Jamaican Rum Punch (or just Punch) is served and included in the tour. It's incredibly good, but not enough to fill you up. Still you'll be satisfied until you make it back to the ship.

20170118_145739_zpspyvviz80.jpg

It's as good as it looks.

20170118_150132_zpsbkwbvyvp.jpg

On our way back, we pass by a Jamaican grade school. The kids waved.

20170118_154027_zpsysoxsayd.jpg

Gas prices...in Jamaican dollars of course. Still energy is expensive on Jamaica since it's imported. The government is looking into alternative sources such as hydroelectric plants.

As we head back we are told we will be taken to port gift shop area. We have a choice at this stage to either get off and make our own way back to the ship or to shop for 30 minutes and take the bus back. Any chance I have to get out of a tour group, i'm on it! So I part from Beverly and the gang (after she asks for a tip before I could even get my wallet out of my pants) and move along. Be advised, even in the main tourist areas, the Jamaicans that work in these areas will try to make a little extra on the side by quietely asking if you want to buy Marijuana. Again. Just don't.

20170118_162756_zpsenjup1mu.jpg

Making my way back with Norwegian Epic in the background.

20170118_163018_zpsks7xd0bv.jpg

Jamaica was certainly an incredible port to visit. Really it was. Yet, if we are keeping score on my favorite ports so far, I would have to say it is Grand Cayman in 2nd place, Cozumel in 3rd and Jamaica in 4th. But wait! We've only visited 3 islands so far? Indeed, so far.

20170118_163716_zps0id6eydn.jpg

Jerk with fries? FRIES? No rice & peas and festival? You got jobbed.

Enjoyed your review. Was on Epic in 2014 Eastern Caribbean and enjoyed myself thoroughly. Loved the entertainment options at that time. I assume The Cavern has replaced the Fat Cats Jazz and Blues club that was onboard.

Since you seem to enjoy history, and interesting information here is a Norwegian Cruise Line historical tidbit for you.

At Great Stirrup Cay, notice the large tender to the right in your pic of boarding the tender for the return to Epic? That is either Little Norway I or Little Norway II. They were tenders that were once carried aboard SS Norway, NCL's flagship back in the later 90s & early 2000s. It was my first cruise and got me hooked.

The interesting thing about these two tenders is that they were registered separately as indpendent ships, with their own call signs & signals. The fact that SS Norway carried them on the bow made SS Norway the only passenger ship to carry its own registered ships. Not boats.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Your whole adventure seemed epic including the cruise.

Hope you cruise again and post another fun to follow review.

:):)

Thank you!! I made the call and the jet ski tour is sold out! We just booked our cruise two weeks ago so I expected this might happen.

I have really enjoyed your review. Excellent!!!

Edited by bbyost

Thank you!! I made the call and the jet ski tour is sold out! We just booked our cruise two weeks ago so I expected this might happen.

Ah man. That is very unfortunate. Jet Skiing around blue Bahama islands was definitely one of the highlights of my trip. Hope is not completely lost. I would still call back every few days/visit the excursion desk on the ship and the excursion desk on the island the day of to see if any openings came up as a result of cancellations or if they are reserving some for booking onboard.

If I was just a little bit "richer", I would have gladly gone on a Disney cruise. I'm a major Disney fan and geek. But alas, i'm not spending $5,000 for inside room 7 day Western Caribbean cruise just so I can watch Frozen instead of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert in the theater (though it's tempting, believe me).

Besides. They actually have to shuffle outside on the deck and stare at each other in uncomfortable close proximity until the all clear is given...and we don't.

What a great review!

I found it very interesting particularly because:

1) I was on this sailing

2) It was my first NCL sailing

3) I was in a studio cabin on deck 12 as well

4) I am also a Disney geek and have done nearly all of my cruising on that line

I specifically booked this cruise on Epic because Priscilla was the musical onboard.

Btw, the Disney Fantasy does not have the Frozen stage musical; that one is exclusive to the Disney Wonder. The Fantasy has Aladdin as a stage musical. And not all of DCL's muster stations are outdoors, there are some that are indoors. I try to choose my stateroom from one of the ones with indoor muster stations.

What a great review!

I found it very interesting particularly because:

1) I was on this sailing

2) It was my first NCL sailing

3) I was in a studio cabin on deck 12 as well

4) I am also a Disney geek and have done nearly all of my cruising on that line

I specifically booked this cruise on Epic because Priscilla was the musical onboard.

Btw, the Disney Fantasy does not have the Frozen stage musical; that one is exclusive to the Disney Wonder. The Fantasy has Aladdin as a stage musical. And not all of DCL's muster stations are outdoors, there are some that are indoors. I try to choose my stateroom from one of the ones with indoor muster stations.

That is pretty interesting. What an amazing coincidence. Good info on the Disney Cruises. I would probably book a deposit and start putting in for a Disney Cruise if it wasn't for the fact my next major trip is probably going to be London (with a stop over at Disneyland Paris of course).

I agree, Norway was the best. Started sailing with them late 70's and took over the flagship status in the 80's.

We were lucky enough to sail her in late 80's and then a couple more time in the 90's. Of all the ships NCL has in their history, the Norway was by far the best.

The island was just one long dock in the beginning. The tenders would dock and people would sprint down the dock for the best beach spot.

The BBQ was running full time as well. No designated hours as there is now.

And the food was prepared fresh. We would tell one end we wanted a burger, ribs or chicken and by the time we got to the end they were placing a freshly cooked patty on your bun or ribs on your plate.

Since you seem to enjoy history, and interesting information here is a Norwegian Cruise Line historical tidbit for you.

At Great Stirrup Cay, notice the large tender to the right in your pic of boarding the tender for the return to Epic? That is either Little Norway I or Little Norway II. They were tenders that were once carried aboard SS Norway, NCL's flagship back in the later 90s & early 2000s. It was my first cruise and got me hooked.

The interesting thing about these two tenders is that they were registered separately as indpendent ships, with their own call signs & signals. The fact that SS Norway carried them on the bow made SS Norway the only passenger ship to carry its own registered ships. Not boats.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Your whole adventure seemed epic including the cruise.

Hope you cruise again and post another fun to follow review.

:):)

As Tim mentioned, keep checking in before leaving and also while on board.

We had 4 to 5 people who didn't show up when our group went out.

Hi Tim, Wow, the review just keeps getting better and better! Again Thank you for taking the time.

Question regarding the River Tubing in Ocho Rios. How strenuous is it getting to the river and getting back as well as travelling down the river? I saw the coblestone walkway on the way back.

I am travelling with people in their early 60's, not all super fit. Worried the terrain might be too much.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jai

The very back of the ship on deck 15 is Spice H20 Club. There are two whirlpools, a small pool, plenty of open air seating, a bar and a grill featuring staples like hot dogs, burgers and fries. There is also a big screen TV which features movies on certain nights which you'll see later.

20170114_144344_zpsrusr6x0r.jpg

The Spice pool was a godsend on crowded sea days...

I'm going on the same cruise in the opposite direction later this year, so I appreciate all of Tim's time and effort. Going back to the very first page, he states:

"The buffet was crowded as expected and it remained so for most of the cruise. However, thankfully, I am a member of the Cruise Critic Forums, a previous review from mitsugirly hinted that I could go downstairs to the LA Cucina dining room for some peace and quiet as well as leg room during breakfast/lunch. This was definitely the best advice I can pass on to you as well. Most people are too lazy to walk the few feet downstairs or think it's closed. Don't be that person. Go down there and enjoy the beautiful setup, the quiet and often a dining room almost all to yourself. There is juice/coffee/water machine down there and usually at least 1 staff member to clear plates and clean tables."

Does this mean that breakfast and lunch are served there, or that you get your food at the buffet and carry it down one floor to eat it at La Cucina? I'm thinking it's the latter, but am not sure.

Does this mean that breakfast and lunch are served there, or that you get your food at the buffet and carry it down one floor to eat it at La Cucina? I'm thinking it's the latter, but am not sure.

You are correct. Get your buffet and take it down the steps to la Cucina. However, when recently on the Epic , I did notice that one day at breakfast time, La Cucina was roped off. However, we never had a problem in getting a table at the buffet. The main problem is the fact that you will find that one or two passengers decide to sit at a table for eight. No problem of course, if you happy enough to join them

Edited by BLACKBURNROVERS

I'm going on the same cruise in the opposite direction later this year, so I appreciate all of Tim's time and effort. Going back to the very first page, he states:

"The buffet was crowded as expected and it remained so for most of the cruise. However, thankfully, I am a member of the Cruise Critic Forums, a previous review from mitsugirly hinted that I could go downstairs to the LA Cucina dining room for some peace and quiet as well as leg room during breakfast/lunch. This was definitely the best advice I can pass on to you as well. Most people are too lazy to walk the few feet downstairs or think it's closed. Don't be that person. Go down there and enjoy the beautiful setup, the quiet and often a dining room almost all to yourself. There is juice/coffee/water machine down there and usually at least 1 staff member to clear plates and clean tables."

After reading his review I was wondering the same thing.