RCI MDR dress code

Can I please get info on the dress code for the MDR aboard RCI for men - Pacific Island Cruise leaving from Australia. Do dress shorts, collared shirts and shoes pass muster or do men have to wear long pants. TIA

Can I please get info on the dress code for the MDR aboard RCI for men - Pacific Island Cruise leaving from Australia. Do dress shorts, collared shirts and shoes pass muster or do men have to wear long pants. TIA

Yes but if it's a formal night you will need long pants/dress jeans etc.. no shorts at all. :). On a 12 night cruise, there would be probably 3 formal nights. In saying that you can still go to buffet if you wish or specialty dining , long pants in specialty dining as well.

NAAAA flipflop tank top an fosters :eek::eek::eek:

The dress codes are

Onboard attire...

Shorts, t-shirts, slacks, trousers, casual skirts, blouses and sundresses are all perfect during the day, whether indoors or out.

For lounging by the pool, pack two swimsuits (an extra one in case the other is wet) and a pair of casual shoes (e.g. thongs, sandals, running shoes). You'll also need some casual shorts and a couple of t-shirts or a cover-up for getting to and from the pool areas.

If you're planning to visit our onboard fitness centre, make sure you bring extra shorts, t-shirts and socks that you won't mind working out in – plus a pair of tennis or running shoes/trainers.

Dinner attire...

Meals in the main dining room follow this schedule:

Casual: Polo shirts and trousers for men, sundresses or trousers for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or trouser suits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

You can get away with polo shirt and dress shorts, unfortunately on my last cruise we saw guests wearing singlets and footy shorts, yes true story, could not believe my eyes. I don't blame the pax but the Maitre D they should never have been allowed in....😬

You can get away with polo shirt and dress shorts, unfortunately on my last cruise we saw guests wearing singlets and footy shorts, yes true story, could not believe my eyes. I don't blame the pax but the Maitre D they should never have been allowed in....😬

Yep. My husband and I both noticed how casual the dress code was, and that it wasn't enforced at all.

Our 12 night cruise had 2 formal nights, the rest were casual. No 'smart casual' at all (we'd received emails saying there would be a number of smart casual nights).

Edited by CupcakeSusie

You can get away with polo shirt and dress shorts, unfortunately on my last cruise we saw guests wearing singlets and footy shorts, yes true story, could not believe my eyes. I don't blame the pax but the Maitre D they should never have been allowed in....

Yep. My husband and I both noticed how casual the dress code was, and that it wasn't enforced at all.

Our 12 night cruise had 2 formal nights, the rest were casual. No 'smart casual' at all (we'd received emails saying there would be a number of smart casual nights).

I posted the dress code as that is the standard that they want, however, as mentioned enforcement is lax and sometimes you will be told to leave and get changed and other times not. Just remember, the MDR is air conditioned as is most of the ship (inside), so if getting changed into shorts or trousers it makes no difference.

On our last cruise.. Solstice few weeks ago... Shorts (dress shorts) were defiantly worn in the dining room except formal nights.... Quite a lot of men wore nicer shorts and a polo shirt,

They would have been wearing them defiantly as it is against the dress code.:p

We encountered two sets of shorts in Wonderland.....on Ovation of the Seas. Perhaps RCI needs to be enforcing the dress code or rewrite the rules. There are plenty of people making the effort for specialty areas, and there are plenty of casual areas for those that can't be bothered.

We encountered two sets of shorts in Wonderland.....on Ovation of the Seas. Perhaps RCI needs to be enforcing the dress code or rewrite the rules. There are plenty of people making the effort for specialty areas, and there are plenty of casual areas for those that can't be bothered.

None of the lines seem to want to enforce much, unless they can see a $$$ made or lost.

Given recent RCL cruises out of Australia, but to the South Pacific, I was surprised to see how much formal wear was worn on this latest Ovation cruise. But passenger mix was a bit different, and it was to Hobart instead of the South Pacific. I believe local itinerary has a greater influence on how much people wear it.

On our last cruise.. Solstice few weeks ago... Shorts (dress shorts) were defiantly worn in the dining room except formal nights.... Quite a lot of men wore nicer shorts and a polo shirt,

No more formal nights on Solstice (or Celebrity) now either...

The inconsistency and gender biased is what bothers me most.

When we were in Wonderland, they asked some lads (men) to get changed which they did. But then a women was allowed in wearing a singlet (not fancy in any way), hot pants and thongs.

The inconsistency and gender biased is what bothers me most.

When we were in Wonderland, they asked some lads (men) to get changed which they did. But then a women was allowed in wearing a singlet (not fancy in any way), hot pants and thongs.

Yeah, I've seen the same too. But seems to be becoming less enforced either way now.

You can get away with polo shirt and dress shorts, unfortunately on my last cruise we saw guests wearing singlets and footy shorts, yes true story, could not believe my eyes. I don't blame the pax but the Maitre D they should never have been allowed in....

It is passenger responsibility to follow the dress codes and staff responsibility to enforce them. I fear Bogans have infiltrated RCI !!

Edited by NSWP

It is passenger responsibility to follow the dress codes and staff responsibility to enforce them. I fear Bogans have infiltrated RCI !!

RCI has been already been 'boganised' - watch the ones with the endless drinks in hand; the ones with those Coke Cup glued to their hand; and around the pools.

Formal nights.... time to go.... if you care for those.. then move over to Cunard.

On Ovation - it served no point - there are 4 separate dining areas on that ship...... let's get dressed up to have a serving of Today's Pie or Spag Bol.

I was somewhat amazed where some of the men found shirts big enough for their protruding areas :)

Edited by shireboi

RCI has been already been 'boganised' - watch the ones with the endless drinks in hand; the ones with those Coke Cup glued to their hand; and around the pools.

Formal nights.... time to go.... if you care for those.. then move over to Cunard.

On Ovation - it served no point - there are 4 separate dining areas on that ship...... let's get dressed up to have a serving of Today's Pie or Spag Bol.

I was somewhat amazed where some of the men found shirts big enough for their protruding areas :)

What's "bogan" about having a Coke cup "glued" to your hand, or endless drinks in hand for that matter?

I have never sailed RCI, does not appear to be my cup of tea with some of the current clientele. I am no snob believe me, I struggle to put on a bag of fruit on formal nights. Better smarten myself up for QM2 in a few weeks time, the Cunard Dress Code Vigilantes will be on patrol, looking for us Aussies embarking at Sydney and Brisvegas.

Edited by NSWP

I keep my protruding area in my trousers not in my shirt.:cool:

Thank God for that Uncle Mic, thou art a 'Cunarder' after all and a 'Chic' dresser on Celebrity Cruise Line, Gucchi shoes and all.