What to do in Vigo, La Palma, Tenerife?

groovechick

Very happy that we are cruising again this summer on my fave ship so far, Aurora. In fact the itinerary is almost identical to the one for our first cruise, many years ago, which got us hooked!

I've had a look on the Ports of Call board, but there doesn't seem to be much info about what to do in the above ports, especially the first two, so I'd welcome suggestions. We're reasonably fit, mid 50s with a 22 yr old and 16 yr old. Happy to wander round on our own, interested in most things, on a limited budget.

I know in Tenerife you can do Mt Teide National Park etc - any other suggestions?

Can anyone suggest a beach with a few facilities (food/drinks/toilets) near the port, or easily accessible from the port, on La Palma, for example.

And is the toboggan ride on Madeira worth the money?

Thank you.

Yes the tobbogan is great fun. You could do it on your own, you get the cable car up and then walk round the corner to the tobbogans which go down half way. You then can walk down the rest of the way on the very steep hill or get a taxi down to the sea front.

In Vigo we booked Segways which again were great fun for an hour or so.

Very happy that we are cruising again this summer on my fave ship so far, Aurora. In fact the itinerary is almost identical to the one for our first cruise, many years ago, which got us hooked!

I've had a look on the Ports of Call board, but there doesn't seem to be much info about what to do in the above ports, especially the first two, so I'd welcome suggestions. We're reasonably fit, mid 50s with a 22 yr old and 16 yr old. Happy to wander round on our own, interested in most things, on a limited budget.

I know in Tenerife you can do Mt Teide National Park etc - any other suggestions?

Can anyone suggest a beach with a few facilities (food/drinks/toilets) near the port, or easily accessible from the port, on La Palma, for example.

And is the toboggan ride on Madeira worth the money?

Thank you.

You can probably find alternative tours on http://www.viator.com the islands come under Spain and Portugal. If you are interested in booking, I have found them to be an honest reliable system but it is important to make sure you can fulfill the time requirements particularly pick up and drop off times, ages and weight limits - light or heavy.

The P&O Toboggan ride is an expensive excursion they incorporate the run with a coach trip up a hill and back to pad it out. The actual ride is easy to do on a DIY basis. You get the cable car to the top, locate the straw hatted operators and have a word. They are in and around the bar at the top drinking so there's a place to buy drinks, coffee etc. with toilets, before descending. You can request a fast of slow time, fast they allow the previous car, or should I say wicker work basket bolted to a pallet, to get well ahead as you will catch it at faster speed. At the bottom you can get a taxi. In fact you can get a taxi to the bottom cable car station too and still be under the P&O excursion price.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Hey, we have done a similar itinerary on NCL (considering a P&O cruise hence hanging out on this board).

In Funchal it is indeed very easy to DIY the toboggan ride and cable car, just keep walking along the sea front and you can't miss the cable car. I'd venture that it's actually better as well as cheaper to do this by yourself as there is lots of nice things to explore and get distracted by during the walk, and you'll miss it all if on a coach. We didn't do the toboggan ride as we wanted to take the cable car back down, just be aware that it only drops you off half way down the hill. You will have to walk (a long way) or get a cab the rest of the way. We also did a circuit on the HOHO bus and you see a lot that way- you go right up into the hill and also along the cliffs by all the posh hotels.

Las Palmas is a lovely port to just wander- it's an easy walk to the sea front (take the road by the side of the science museum and follow your nose to the sea) and a lovely long promenade to wander down. Loads of (clean and free) toilets, bars, restaurants, shops. Very big shopping mall at one end if you like your shopping (don't bother with the one by the port as half the shops are empty), and it's also very fun just to sit with an ice cream and watch the surfers. The beach is very nice if the weather is good, even in January there were lots of people sunbathing and swimming.

Tenerife we very much enjoyed Loro Parque, which is a wildlife park and is really world class in the exhibits and facilities. It was probably the best day of our cruise. I'd reccomend a ship excursion though as it would be difficult to DIY.

Thank you all so far.

Dan, I think I read on the Ports of Call section that Siam Park - the water park, right? - is indeed brilliant, but on the other side of the island and too far to DIY on a cruise stop, but I will double check.

We would only do a ship's excursion if something really, really appealed and timings meant it would be the safest option.

Mandy the Segways do indeed sound fun, would greatly appeal to DS, I think.

When we stopped at Vigo on our first cruise, we took the ship's tour to Santiago and in the cathedral they lit and swung the huge censer for us, but I thought I had read somewhere they will no longer do this. Is this so? Shame, because it left a lasting impression and would love for the children to see it (plus I love the architecture etc. there anyway).

John, thank you for the tip re Viator.

Just remember if you are doing the cable car and toboggan to only buy a single ticket for the cable car as you are nowhere near it when you finish the toboggan ride. We did walk down and were very glad of a coffee and custard tart to revive us. Do try the custard tarts. They are amazing.

Another alternative, if time permits, in Tenerife is Lord Park. Lots of animals, birds etc. And shows to watch. We have taken the tram to La Laguna.

La Palma there is a beach quite near the dock or walk and explore the town. Vigo we just wandered up through the town though I believe there is a Hoho bus.

Most expensive taxi in Funchal is the one back from the toboggan. It can cost as much as a half day tour with the same taxi driver!

Toboggan ride was €15 per person a couple of years ago and they hold a max of three. Not a price we were prepared to pay. We walked down the hill a short way and watched a few go past.

The cable car and toboggan are definitely worth a try in Madeira if you haven't experienced them before. On the way back the market is also worth a visit. the flowers and fruit are amazing and the people very friendly. The ice creams are delicious. La Palma is a really pretty little port for a stroll. The colourful old houses on the front very characterful showing the old loos on the balconies. We were pleasantly surprised by this port. Vigo is good for a spot of shopping , Mango etc... There is an old part near the port. The eateries were shut in October when we visited but I believe if a bit of a foodies heaven.

In Tenerife, if you want something less adventurous, but quite interesting, we took a local bus to the old town, visited the 16th century cathedral, looked at the old houses and generally had a good walk arlound.

In La Palma, we simply walked about in town, lovely little town, some nice shops.

Thank you all for your replies, especially the advice about Funchal's cable car and the toboggan.

I would happily just wander around places looking at churches, cathedrals, markets, museums... DS will put up with so much culture, but then likes something a bit more active. None of us are massive sun worshippers but we do try to fit in time at a beach every holiday. If there are shops then DD is happy.

Most expensive taxi in Funchal is the one back from the toboggan. It can cost as much as a half day tour with the same taxi driver!

Toboggan ride was €15 per person a couple of years ago and they hold a max of three. Not a price we were prepared to pay. We walked down the hill a short way and watched a few go past.

Another major saving you can make is to go to Southampton and watch the ships departing on various cruises. I have calculated you can save up to £2,000 or £3,000 a person and if you don't go on a world cruise in a suite...

Regards John

La Palma is a very small place and easily done in a few hours, including the shops! We took a half day coach tour in the morning to the south of the island which took us up and across the amazing lava hills, there is another trip to the north which I imagine will be equally as stunning.

Last October did an excursion to a silk museum in La Palma which was very interesting,on the way back we called at a very Spanish old beautiful hotel where we had afternoon tea in their fabulous gardens. Also called at a pretty little village El Paso,where the village square was abundant in wonderful flowers plus the usual tourist shop. Enjoy.

Tenerife we did the hop off/on bus & then took a local bus to beach very easy to do.

La Palma nice shopping street, turn left from port & there is a beach within walking distance

Madeira the tobogann is a must but do it DIY, get the cable car up & toboggan down. Get to cable care early before the tours. When you get off the toboggan there are taxi drivers offering to take you back down into town. They tell you it isn't within walking distance but it is & of course all downhill !!!

A cheap DIY excursion in Tenerife is to take the new tram to La Laguna, the old capital. It takes about 35mins each way and costs €1.35 each way.

http://metrotenerife.com/home/

Brian

Thanks Brian, I'm not going to Tenerife this year but I'm bookmarking that link for next time! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another major saving you can make is to go to Southampton and watch the ships departing on various cruises. I have calculated you can save up to £2,000 or £3,000 a person and if you don't go on a world cruise in a suite...

Regards John

LOL. Sun tends to be in short supply though!

:D:D

Regards John

:D:D that made me giggle.

Toboggan is worth it for the experience, a bit of a thrill and so easy to diy. Cable car is a nice trip then short walk to toboggans. After the ride it is roughly half hour walk downhill back to town or plenty of taxi's available.