Carry-On luggage restrictions

zdub86

So on Carnival's website it lists the same exact size restrictions for checked luggage vs. carry-on luggage. That doesn't make much sense to me. Says both cannot exceed 16 inches height x 24 inches width. Seems like a checked bag should be able to be larger than this, no?

Also, I know it says each person can check up to 2 bags, but how many carry-on bags can each person have? If my wife has a carry-on suitcase, can she also bring her purse or other large "bag" in addition to the carry-on suitcase?

Carry on bags need to fit thru the scanner just like at the airport. I'm not aware of a restriction on the number of bags, carry-on or otherwise, but keep in mind you'll need to store your bags in your cabin. I put my suitcase under the bed and my carry-on in the closet.

Roz

Check with Carnival to be sure, but most cruise lines do not restrict the size or number of checked bags, but - as mentioned - do restrict the carry on to a size that will fit through the security scanners. Typically these are similar in size to those at the airports.

I'm not aware of any limitation to a number of carry on bags (again confirm with Carnival) you can have but practicality would dictate that, I would think. Usually your carry on bags are for valuables, medicines, perhaps a change of clothes, permissible carry on wine, etc. Not sure what else - or why - you would want to lug around the ship any more than that until your staterooms are available.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Well, our plan isn't to lug anything around the ship. As soon as we get on we are going to find where our room is and drop off our carry-on luggage. Would we be able to even do this??

It depends on when you plan to board. If in the morning, then no. Again Carnival will be able to confirm, but with most cruise lines your stateroom is not available to you until sometime in the afternoon as they are still being prepared from the morning passengers departure. This is typically around 1:00 or so.

I guess my comments to you are based on our experience where we typically are on board between 11:00 - 11:30, have lunch, and explore the ship or just relax with a drink. In that case we would be on board a couple of hours before we can get into our stateroom, so the less carry on we have to deal with the better - especially over lunch.

Well, our plan isn't to lug anything around the ship. As soon as we get on we are going to find where our room is and drop off our carry-on luggage. Would we be able to even do this??

Unless you are Platinum or higher or have purchased Faster to the Fun....you will not be allowed to go to cabin until 1:00-1:30.

So you will be lugging around anything you carry on....

So on Carnival's website it lists the same exact size restrictions for checked luggage vs. carry-on luggage. That doesn't make much sense to me. Says both cannot exceed 16 inches height x 24 inches width. Seems like a checked bag should be able to be larger than this, no?

The website would be in error -- there are people on CC that routinely take two 30" suitcases each plus a carryon and/or backpack!

I have heard that the scanner will take slightly larger than airline 21-22" suitcases, so that's probably the 24" size given.

Just because you have a carry-on sized case, it doesn't mean you can't give it to the porter; the chances are veryvery(very) small that your suitcase would be misdirected. Not getting it until shortly before or even during (i.e. after for you) the Muster Drill could definitely happen in that case however. Lots of people say they always keep their swimsuit with them for early basking around the pool! As far as dropping at your room, a small enough case to fit in a closet, the stewards would probably let you leave it there WHILE they continue to clean. If you like that better than giving it to the porter at the curb.

Also, I know it says each person can check up to 2 bags, but how many carry-on bags can each person have? If my wife has a carry-on suitcase, can she also bring her purse or other large "bag" in addition to the carry-on suitcase?

I don't know Carnival per se, but I'm sure you or your wife can have two items going through security. Any wine you are bringing on board, for one thing!

Your question is specific to Carnival. You may find that you will get more replies from people who are very familiar with Carnival if you post your question in the Carnival forum.

I hate tripping over all the luggage that is taken to lunch on embarkation day. :eek:

Since people are advised to put valuables, medicine, and bathing suit (if they want to swim on the first day) in a carry-on, I suggest watch your step until the cabins are ready for the luggage.

Since people are advised to put valuables, medicine, and bathing suit (if they want to swim on the first day) in a carry-on, I suggest watch your step until the cabins are ready for the luggage.

Well said and agreed. Very difficult to not have a carry on and even more difficult to not have it with you at lunch. It is, as you indicate, at the recommendation of most cruise lines to have a carry on with you.

On our first cruise (on Holland America) 6 yrs ago, we had someone else's luggage in our room (in addition to our own). That didn't get straightened out until close to dinner. Mistakes happen cause we're dealing with humans. We hope to ONLY bring on carry-on this time but if we didn't we would definitely keep the essentials with us. We are very careful to keep things out of other peoples way but we really can't control if other people are paying attention or not.:o

I just want to clarify a few things for you. See Carnival's checked luggage policy below with my highlights added.

Checked Luggage

Guests are encouraged to limit their luggage to two suitcases per guest. Each suitcase should not weigh more than 50 pounds (22.68 Kilograms) and should not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide, laying flat (40.64cm x 60.96cm); the length of the bag is not a factor.

Basically, the size of the suitcase is laying flat. This means that the height of the suitcase when it is standing is not taken into consideration. It is the actual width and depth of the suitcase that matters. That being said, a very large suitcase will fit through the scanners.

As far as carry-on luggage is concerned, the same size parameters are in place. The only other restriction is how much you are willing to lug around until 1:30 when you get can get into your room. My recommendation? Check everything you can and only carry on valuables and medications.