What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

We just got an acceptance of our upgrade offer. We leave Sunday on the Pearl. We originally had an ocean view cabin, and in the last few days upped our offer to the max of $350.00, and got a balcony. It would have cost us approximately $1,000.00 extra for a balcony if we booked it, so I'm happy to only pay $700.00. I am a little nervous though as it's a PrivaSea balcony, and I've never had one of those, but I'm just happy to have a balcony!

One would think that their algorithm is even ore complex, and that the "total expenditure" model you propose would also take into account the demand for the cabin type you are vacating. If they have demand for MY -say- OV, but none for your balcony, or many unsold in your category, wouldn't rev management take my bid and sell my of cabin rather than hope for new demand for yours?. I'd think that's why man pay don't fclear unti shortly before boarding (fly more than I cruise and Delta RM has this down pat :-(

But only a guess.

.....It is pretty clear that the 2 items weighed most heavily by the algorithm are: demand in your current category (measured by direct cabin sales and GTY sales) and the price you have already paid for your cabin. You may think that makes no sense, but it makes 100% sense if you consider the only number that really matters here .... revenue yield. NCL has a target revenue point for each cabin category that they are trying to hit. When the demand to replace your existing cabin is there (such that they will NOT lose the yield on that cabin) and your bid, taken together with your existing expenditure, fits within their revenue yield for the upgraded cabin they will accept your bid.

So, assuming all other factors are equal in the above hypo, it is more likely that customer C would have their bid accepted as the total revenue yield on that passenger is higher. ...

The first part makes sense... Demand.

And, I agree the second part is "target revenue per category".

Lets take the example earlier, and for math discussion, assume there are only 3 mini suites on the ship - total.

A: $3,000 -bid $300

B: $2,800 -bid $250

C: $3,200 - bid $280

Total Mini Suite Revenue currently at $9,000 or an average of $3,000 per cabin (before bids accepted)

If they take bid A - the new total is $9,300 or average of $3,100

If they take bid C , the new total is $9,280 or average of $3,093

Bid C results in a lower revenue yield.

Rather simple example, as there are way more cabins available of course. And, there are other variables such as demand for each category, ability to resell or upgrade the vacated cabin, etc.

But, with all those factors being EQUAL, they will take the bid that generates the most cash. Why would anyone take the lower dollar offer?

Edited by garycarla

Hi all -

Sailing in November on Spirit, booked a GTY at an unreal low price in July , assigned room 3 days after, midship inside deck 6, happy as can be, as we only spend time in cabin to sleep or shower, we got the invite to upgrade to Balcony or Oceanview 80 days out, initial minimum bids seemed higher than previous posts have mentioned regarding the same category, noticed 84 days out inside was all but sold, curious about who gets selected, or why, and how many cabins are in the pool to bid on... Again I must agree with others, I doubt lower bids are favoured over the higher ones...

I was excited about possibly bidding for a balcony room for our December cruise. But yesterday there was a price drop, plus we would get another free perk if we just paid to upgrade ourselves for $350. Seems like that would be a better deal than trying to bid on something we may or may not get.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I was excited about possibly bidding for a balcony room for our December cruise. But yesterday there was a price drop, plus we would get another free perk if we just paid to upgrade ourselves for $350. Seems like that would be a better deal than trying to bid on something we may or may not get.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I'd go for the upgrade then.. this way you get a balcony if you really want one.. then you can bid on a mini suite or Haven later .. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd go for the upgrade then.. this way you get a balcony if you really want one.. then you can bid on a mini suite or Haven later .. :)

And don't forget one of the biggest advantages of upgrading vs. bidding . . . you will be able to chose the balcony cabin you want [emoji3]

We have booked a cruise on NCL Bliss for Sept 2018, what is this bidding thing about? Is this through NCL or CC. Thanks for your help?

It is through NCL. At this time - when you are about 80 days out NCL will offer a bidding system to upgrade your room. If you are interested you can follow their instructions and see what the minimum bid is for different rooms and make a bid. if you are successful they assign the room for that category. Personally I think all Haven rooms are nice. Mini suites you have to be careful because the location may not bewhat you want

Has anyone heard of the minimum bid allowed going down as you get closer? I would assume not. I was hoping to bid for an Aft Haven Penthouse from my aft balcony. There are 4 of the suites still let but the minimum bid is $1500 total. I am happy with my cabin but was hoping to maybe score an amazing deal and place a total bid of $1000 ($500 pp) to try for an upgrade. The current min puts it out of my price range

Awesome thanks for the help. Will NCL contact me or do I contact them within 80days of sail date?

It is through NCL. At this time - when you are about 80 days out NCL will offer a bidding system to upgrade your room. If you are interested you can follow their instructions and see what the minimum bid is for different rooms and make a bid. if you are successful they assign the room for that category. Personally I think all Haven rooms are nice. Mini suites you have to be careful because the location may not bewhat you want