B2B TA with NYC turn around

old fool

US customs makes us disembark in NYC, but how about our luggage? If we are not in the same cabin on the return do we pack up and the staff moves it to the new cabin? Or do we have to schlep it all off and then back on? What if we are in the same cabin on the return?

US customs makes us disembark in NYC, but how about our luggage? If we are not in the same cabin on the return do we pack up and the staff moves it to the new cabin? Or do we have to schlep it all off and then back on? What if we are in the same cabin on the return?

Yes, the SOP is to Zero out the ship. If you are doing a B2B, and not going ashore, you can wait it out in the designated lounge area in the terminal. You will be amongst the first to board once the all clear is given. BTW, if you ever plan on eating lunch in Kings Court, that would be the time to do it! Everything scrubbed clean, few passengers, many safety inspectors having a lunch break.

Speak to your cabin steward about moving your possessions to your new cabin; you won't have to schlep anything except your carry on bag containing the contents from your safe, meds, jewelry, etc. I'm sure you know how to respond to extended service steward provide in these instances (but from what I've heard, some don't consider it worthy of added gratuity - I don't know why.)

Hope you have a wonderful trip. -S

If moving staterooms, Still, the same. You usually receive a letter from the customer services manager, outlying your move. With the new stateroom key being provided under separate cover.

They request that you pack items as best as possible for the move . Anything hanging in the wardrobes does not need to be packed and may be left hanging up. You usually contact the pursers desk when you are ready and they in turn then contact housekeeping who move you. You do not need to be present. It is requested that you do this prior to 0900hrs to enable your old stateroom to be made up. I usually just transfer what I have in the safe , to the new safe and any personal possessions I do not want Cunard to move, to my new stateroom and inform the new steward/ess so they are aware that the possessions in that room are mine and have not been left by a previous guest.

It usually runs very smoothly. If you do decide to move all your items then do inform them that you have done so, otherwise they may think that they have lost your possessions.

If you are not on a tour and wish just to get back on the ship after you have gone through Homeland Security, then Cunard suggest that you wait until the last remaining passengers are called and debark with them. Then once through the security checks you go to the check in area where new guests are arriving but you do not need to check in again as you will be in possession of your new stateroom keycard. Once through security, You wait in the boarding Area which is set aside for "In transit" passengers and you are first to embark when allowed by the authorities.

If you are in the same cabin then it is possible that your original key card may cover you for your return trip, it depends how you have booked your journey. The dates of which are on the keycard.

Edited by Pennbank

One further question - if you are on a single cruise from Southampton to the Caribbean, but with a shore stop at New York, do they still force everyone to get off the ship and check back in on arrival in New York? Presumably since you are remaining in the same cabin for the whole voyage then luggage remains on board? It would seem pointless and frustrating to make everyone get their luggage off the ship and back on again on a single voyage with a shore stop! I would appreciate knowing what happens in this case even though this thread is about B2B transatlantic which is two different voyage codes, and a different situation to the single voyage case.

On the January 3 turnaround in New York between the Caribbean trip and the eastbound transatlantic crossing, Cunard appeared to have been told by DHS that transiting passengers not going ashore could remain onboard. This was suddenly rescinded about 8:30 or 9:00 AM when there was a shipboard announcement that all passengers had to exit the ship to be cleared before reboarding for the TA.

As this seemed to be the normal process in New York it was surprising to hear the announcements that passengers wouldn't have to process through New York, and somewhat less surprising to hear that that would not be the case after all.

The lesson is to remain flexible, particularly in light of an impression that the process has suddenly and inexplicably become less troublesome than you were expecting.

On the January 3 turnaround in New York between the Caribbean trip and the eastbound transatlantic crossing, Cunard appeared to have been told by DHS that transiting passengers not going ashore could remain onboard. This was suddenly rescinded about 8:30 or 9:00 AM when there was a shipboard announcement that all passengers had to exit the ship to be cleared before reboarding for the TA.

As this seemed to be the normal process in New York it was surprising to hear the announcements that passengers wouldn't have to process through New York, and somewhat less surprising to hear that that would not be the case after all.

The lesson is to remain flexible, particularly in light of an impression that the process has suddenly and inexplicably become less troublesome than you were expecting.

Thank you - that is useful - we are going to be on a QM2 cruise from Southampton to Southampton via the Caribbean and stopping at New York both ways on a cruise at a later date - so knowing that we won't have to haul all of our luggage off the ship for the two ports of call is a relief to know! It does sound like the process of getting off to be "processed" in the terminal is not going to be a quick process though - and also I am presuming that having an ESTA ahead of the voyage will be necessary too in order to avoid extended delays being processed? I was also considering going into New York to meet up with relatives who live there but from the information I have seen that is not all that easy to achieve in a way that will get us back on board in a reliable way using an available shore excursion on a coach that will lead to the ship's departure waiting in the event of delay getting back to Brooklyn. (We know what it is like trying to find the Red Hook terminal from a previous eastbound crossing).

....and also I am presuming that having an ESTA ahead of the voyage will be necessary too in order to avoid extended delays being processed? I was also considering going into New York to meet up with relatives who live there but from the information I have seen that is not all that easy to achieve in a way that will get us back on board in a reliable way using an available shore excursion on a coach that will lead to the ship's departure waiting in the event of delay getting back to Brooklyn. (We know what it is like trying to find the Red Hook terminal from a previous eastbound crossing).

Yes, you will need to get an ESTA in advance.

We did a round-trip a few years ago (including Halifax).

Regarding ship's tours, you may only get a couple of choices. All we got given were: (2104 prices)

New York Highlights, 7.45am-11.45am. $72

Manhattan Transfer 7.30am-4pm (pick up 3pm). $50

There is no free shuttle bus so the Manhattan Transfer option might be a good bet for you to meet up with your relatives. You are dropped off and picked up outside Macy's.

Thank you - that is useful - we are going to be on a QM2 cruise from Southampton to Southampton via the Caribbean and stopping at New York both ways on a cruise at a later date - so knowing that we won't have to haul all of our luggage off the ship for the two ports of call is a relief to know! It does sound like the process of getting off to be "processed" in the terminal is not going to be a quick process though - and also I am presuming that having an ESTA ahead of the voyage will be necessary too in order to avoid extended delays being processed? I was also considering going into New York to meet up with relatives who live there but from the information I have seen that is not all that easy to achieve in a way that will get us back on board in a reliable way using an available shore excursion on a coach that will lead to the ship's departure waiting in the event of delay getting back to Brooklyn. (We know what it is like trying to find the Red Hook terminal from a previous eastbound crossing).

Perhaps your relatives could meet you in Brooklyn Heights for lunch? Grab a cab at the Red Hook Terminal, and you'd be in Brooklyn Heights in less than 15 minutes. I don't know how far your relatives would have to travel, but if you mention their location, I'm sure other options will be suggested. :)

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/realestate/the-historic-charm-of-brooklyn-heights.html?_r=0