Dawn May 2017- Boston...New to cruising

BrownEyedGirl686

HI! Welcome to cruising!

You'll find quite a few of us here who cruise with carry-ons only. After my second cruise I realized no one really paid much attention to what I wore, so I mix and match and re-wear lot. Jewelry takes up little space so I change that up. However, I do put a pair of pj's (which for me look remarkably like a pair of knit capris and a T-shirt) and a pair of underwear in my tote bag along with my meds. I check my carry-on so if there's a delay in luggage delivery, I'm covered. (I don't wear bathing suits so that's not a problem!).

You got some really good advice, especially with taking your own meds (and take more than a week's worth!) and some basic stuff like ibuprofen, meclizine, Pepto, sunscreen, sunburn med....(I had to pay $14 on ship for a bottle of that!) With Bermuda, however, you'll have a pharmacy right in the dock area for little things if you need.

My other thing is a compression bag. I bring a couple of them, clip them on the pants hangers and then put any dirty clothes in them. At the end of the cruise, I just zip the bag, roll out the air and I have more room in my suitcase!

The best advice though -- enjoy your cruise!

Lots of good packing tips for you in previous posts.

Your posts do not say where you are from.

If you are flying in, come the day before and enjoy some time the city.

Friday morning traffic in Boston can be insane.

The Black Falcon pier terminal is out "by" the Logan airport but not "next to it".

I offer you two transportation links - as Boston is my home port

Happy Sailing:ship:

http://www.massport.com and http://www.mbta.com

Garry

We aren't flying in, we will be driving up a couple days before and experiencing Boston as we have never been before. Our hotel is a 10-15 minute drive (but I am well aware of what driving in a city can be like lol)

I would definately get a lanyard. I have one that has a clear id slot and a zipper on the back. You just wear every time you leave. After your first cruise you will figure out how hard core you will be.

I will have a lanyard, luggage tags, pop up hamper, hanging shoe rack, magnetic hooks, hanging toiletry bag, refillable bottles.

But for starters, a lanyard, and some grocery bags. Your bathing suit wont be dry and your shoes will be sandy and you can use the grocery bags. Just fold your dirty clothes inside out after you wear them and you can tell what you have worn already. I like the tooth brush holders that stick to the mirror too.

I am determined not to over pack this time. This cruise wont have the fancy dinners so we can check that off the list. You end up wearing your bathing suite and the same cover up every sea day anyways.

I would consider myself a hard core cruiser, my friend is going on her first and asking me for tips, so almost this same situation. I have a list of must haves and one that you can get away without.

I really do not want to overpack either, but I am starting to realize that that is a bit harder then expected. I just packed one of my daughters (I know...early but she wanted to and heck if I can check that off my list then why not) and omg I think I need to recheck everything she wanted to pack...

I have started a make shift medicine bucket so to speak, and the girls have their lanyards ready. Shopping Bags, what a great idea...I didn't now what I was going to do with wet clothes, and honestly didn't even think of the sandy part..

Thank you!

We are on the same cruise. Check out the Roll Call for this cruise here in Cruise Critic http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2371272

Join in for the Meet and Greet

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/norwegian-dawn-may-19-2017/

My husband and I have done the Boston to Bermuda cruise three times on the Dawn. It is a wonderful trip, with a great crew that loves this cruise. We are able to drive to the Falcon Pier in under and hour, if I had to fly I might not bring the hanging shoe organizer (keeps shoes off the floor and easier to find). I also bring magnets and post it notes and a pen. The pen also comes in handy to fill out the form at check in when they ask how your health is, we fill it out before getting to the counter. I bring a small flashlight for trips to the bathroom at night, turning on the bright light would be blinding. Found this great toothbrush holder with a suction cup at the grocery store, two to a package. It keeps your tooth brush high and dry for the week. The hanging toiletry bag that folds up for the suitcase but hangs on the bathroom door for use.

I have joined the roll call although not very active as I would like to be.

I really do not want to overpack either, but I am starting to realize that that is a bit harder then expected. I just packed one of my daughters (I know...early but she wanted to and heck if I can check that off my list then why not) and omg I think I need to recheck everything she wanted to pack...

I have started a make shift medicine bucket so to speak, and the girls have their lanyards ready. Shopping Bags, what a great idea...I didn't now what I was going to do with wet clothes, and honestly didn't even think of the sandy part..

Thank you!

Don't forget Aloe Vera in that medicine bucket.;)

There is a Lotta hot sun in Bermuda.

Don't overthink it just chill and you'll be fine. I've been on about 16 or 17 cruises and the only thing that I bring that is mentioned above is an insulated cup to keep the drinks cool. I do however take a power pack (Battery) for my iPod and phone when out and about.

also, recheck your "MyNCL" on-line check-in.... they have added "Arrival Time" in the last week or so.... some travelers have mentioned they enforce it in Boston. I had already printed out my eDocs and had to re print with the Arrival Time (May 5)

We were on the Dawn just a couple of weeks ago out of New Orleans and it was awesome!!! We normally cruise Carnival but find NCL is a step above on food and entertainment. Gio the cruise director is the best. We had the food and beverage package and was extremely well worth it. Cagneys steak house and La Cucina are a must but go hungry. O'Sheehans is a fun place to hang out. And above all you must see the shows. Absolutely fantastic!!!! Enjoy!!!

Don't overthink it just chill and you'll be fine. I've been on about 16 or 17 cruises and the only thing that I bring that is mentioned above is an insulated cup to keep the drinks cool. I do however take a power pack (Battery) for my iPod and phone when out and about.

Thank you!!! i think that is part of my problem. I am such planner and I don't like thinking like I forgot something, yet I really do just want to relax and enjoy the vacation. I am bringing a few things that were suggested (and I always bring a refillable water bottle for myself, I will just throw one in for the kids also) the charger, and the over the shoe hanger seem like a great thing I am going to bring as well..

We were on the Dawn just a couple of weeks ago out of New Orleans and it was awesome!!! We normally cruise Carnival but find NCL is a step above on food and entertainment. Gio the cruise director is the best. We had the food and beverage package and was extremely well worth it. Cagneys steak house and La Cucina are a must but go hungry. O'Sheehans is a fun place to hang out. And above all you must see the shows. Absolutely fantastic!!!! Enjoy!!!

That is awesome that you had such a great time, I am assuming that we will too. We have the drink package for the adults and the soda package for the children. We didn't do the food packages only bc we have a picky eater, and well honestly it would be a waste I think

im a bit surprised at some of the stuff people apparently bring on board. to each his own, i guess.

essentials for us are the travel alarm clock. i hate to wake up at night and not know what time it is.

we bring a big laundry bag for dirty clothes. easily stashed away at the bottom of the closet.

No need for pens and post its, there are free pens all over the ship, and you will be bombarded with paper in your free style daily that you can use to leave notes. or better yet, just TALK to you steward about anything, they are always around and will usually introduce themselves to you the first day.

I hate putting on a wet bathing suit so i always bring 2.

i wear sneakers and depending upon the itinerary, i pack a second pair in case the first pair gets wet. i wear flip flops all over the ship, even to dinner (not the foam kind, i have strappy leather ones from old navy). you'll want sneakers for walking all over bermuda, especially if you do the caves.

Capris, wrinkle free dresses/skirts are all fine for dinner. most wear shorts or jeans even to dinner. ive never seen anyone bounced from the MDR, even the one that is supposedly fancier. Menu is the same in both so you can just avoid the fancier one altogether.

we do bring a power outlet block for extra outlets. we do check out in terms of our phones, but we need to charge the camera battery and the ipad.

we do bring a refillable water bottle as the water on board is very expensive if you buy bottled. the water tastes much better than Aquafina which is what they have. you can also get fresh lemon at the buffet for it. you will want to hydrate alot in bermuda, its very hot there although May wont be too bad. no need for tumblers, you can walk around with any kind of drink and open container all over the ship.

We aren't flying in, we will be driving up a couple days before and experiencing Boston as we have never been before. Our hotel is a 10-15 minute drive (but I am well aware of what driving in a city can be like lol)

brown eyed, where are you staying? I can ask any questions abotu traffic patterns, etc. and any thing abotu Boston you want to know! its a great city!!!!

brown eyed, where are you staying? I can ask any questions abotu traffic patterns, etc. and any thing abotu Boston you want to know! its a great city!!!!

Forgive me but I cannot remember the exact name of the hotel (seriously I think my brain is on vacation already) but it is near Fenway. I know we want to go to the aquarium. I am kind of letting my husband plan what we are doing in Boston, I for sure want to see Fenway which will be rather easy lol

Do you have any things that we shouldn't miss and places that are a definite to eat at??

im a bit surprised at some of the stuff people apparently bring on board. to each his own, i guess.

essentials for us are the travel alarm clock. i hate to wake up at night and not know what time it is.

we bring a big laundry bag for dirty clothes. easily stashed away at the bottom of the closet.

No need for pens and post its, there are free pens all over the ship, and you will be bombarded with paper in your free style daily that you can use to leave notes. or better yet, just TALK to you steward about anything, they are always around and will usually introduce themselves to you the first day.

I hate putting on a wet bathing suit so i always bring 2.

i wear sneakers and depending upon the itinerary, i pack a second pair in case the first pair gets wet. i wear flip flops all over the ship, even to dinner (not the foam kind, i have strappy leather ones from old navy). you'll want sneakers for walking all over bermuda, especially if you do the caves.

Capris, wrinkle free dresses/skirts are all fine for dinner. most wear shorts or jeans even to dinner. ive never seen anyone bounced from the MDR, even the one that is supposedly fancier. Menu is the same in both so you can just avoid the fancier one altogether.

we do bring a power outlet block for extra outlets. we do check out in terms of our phones, but we need to charge the camera battery and the ipad.

we do bring a refillable water bottle as the water on board is very expensive if you buy bottled. the water tastes much better than Aquafina which is what they have. you can also get fresh lemon at the buffet for it. you will want to hydrate alot in bermuda, its very hot there although May wont be too bad. no need for tumblers, you can walk around with any kind of drink and open container all over the ship.

I am hoping to find a "perfect" middle ground, my husband is not a planner at all and personally I like having things all planned out; but let me tell you I need this vacation badly. We have purchased water bottles for our cabin, and a power strip (non surge right??) is a for sure on the list to buy. I have a dirty clothes bag as well, normally when we go away I just designate an entire suit case as the dirty clothes, but this time I went with the bag. Shoes are what I think I am going to over pack, but that is with everywhere we go.

Do you know about when we would find out about the upgrade? I Know they say about 2 days before, but how often do they wait until the 2 day mark?

Thank you for all of your advice! I have tried to do so much research now I feel like I am going to bring so much more (things I would have never in my life expected to bring) LOL

I am very excited/nervous (nervous as I do not know what to expect and am a huge planner lol) I am also hoping that my girls will have enough to do on the cruise itself as they are a little younger

How old are your girls? You can sign them up for the Kids clubs, which have activities for them.

About Bonine, I just take one dose before boarding if the weather or seas seem choppy. I find that I need it more for the buses in Bermuda, than on the ship. Some of the drivers take curves fast, and that makes me very queasy.

I also recommend a sweater in case of cool air conditioning or weather, and comfy walking shoes. We do lots of walking in Bermuda.

Midway into the cruise, NCL has a bargain bag day for laundry for a set price. Roll up everything you plan to send to the laundry, and place it in the bag that they give you. Write your name and cabin # on the bag, with a list of the contents. The clothes should be returned within 2 days. This service should make packing a bit lighter. We use a plastic garbage bag as a "hamper,"

I always bring my own shampoo, because I have color treated hair. But we use the shower gel provided by the ship. As others have stated, bring plenty of sun-screen.

Enjoy your cruise.

How old are your girls? You can sign them up for the Kids clubs, which have activities for them.

About Bonine, I just take one dose before boarding if the weather or seas seem choppy. I find that I need it more for the buses in Bermuda, than on the ship. Some of the drivers take curves fast, and that makes me very queasy.

I also recommend a sweater in case of cool air conditioning or weather, and comfy walking shoes. We do lots of walking in Bermuda.

Midway into the cruise, NCL has a bargain bag day for laundry for a set price. Roll up everything you plan to send to the laundry, and place it in the bag that they give you. Write your name and cabin # on the bag, with a list of the contents. The clothes should be returned within 2 days. This service should make packing a bit lighter. We use a plastic garbage bag as a "hamper,"

I always bring my own shampoo, because I have color treated hair. But we use the shower gel provided by the ship. As others have stated, bring plenty of sun-screen.

Enjoy your cruise.

My girls are 10 and 5, I don't know how i feel about the idea of leaving them in of the kid things, I guess we will see how we all feel when we get there. I too plan on bringing my own shampoo and conditioner as I am a cosmetologist and I am not putting ship shampoo in my hair lol. I bought a drawstring hamper that i plan on jut throwing all the dirty clothes in, thank you for telling me about the laundry day - i really may end up using it just to make getting home and adjusting to real life a bit easier.

Hello All!

I am new to cruising, and have booked a cruise in May of this year on the Dawn out of Boston.

I was just wondering somethings that are a must bring. I have been doing some research, but I wanted to hear first hand. I am a bit of a planner and am trying to do enough 'google-ing' for lack of a better word before our trip.

I appreciate any and all help!

Thank you!!

After 17 cruises on Dawn, We bring it all.

We did board Dawn in Tampa once with 7 bags.

I always bring my Solar powered / with hand crank, A.M F.M./ Weatherband radio.

It also has a light and can be used to charge a cell phone.:D

Got your own snorkel & mask?

Are you from the United States?

If you're not, there is a very lengthy process to go through before you can disembark in Boston.

Can you kindly explain what the "very lengthy process" is for non-Americans disembarking in Boston?

We're sailing Aug 18-25th and are from Canada.

Thanks!

the Fenway area can be a little crazy, especially if there is a game that night. i personally wouldnt stay out that way. the Back Bay area is nice to stay in and not as expensive as the hotels on the water. you can often find good deals in cambridge, on the other side of the river. that would also put you on the red line and the "T" is easy to use and get around with.

i recommend walking the Freedom Trail. its free, easy to follow, and you see alot of stuff. for short money you can walk thru Paul Revere's house.

definitely get some pastries in the North End (most flock to Mike's, but i like Maria's pastry better!) and try to experience at least one dinner there. I also really like Giacomo's, and they have a second location on Columbus that takes reservations.

the NE Aquarium is a must for your kids. also, its corny, but everyone should ride a swan boat at least once in their life in the public garden. A Boston Duck Tour is a must as well!!

To add to the last comment about "Things to do in Boston," Paul Revere's house only costs $3 to go inside. You can also visit "Bunker Hill."

You can go to the naval yard and see "Old Ironsides." It's the oldest working ship in the navy, (technically called the USS Constitution). There's also a museum at the dockyard.

You can visit the Boston Tea Party ship and museum (for a fee, I think $28).

Boston is also home to the bar from the TV show "Cheers." They have the Sam Adams brewery, and the second largest Chinatown in the United States. Visit Newbury street for high end shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After 17 cruises on Dawn, We bring it all.

We did board Dawn in Tampa once with 7 bags.

I always bring my Solar powered / with hand crank, A.M F.M./ Weatherband radio.

It also has a light and can be used to charge a cell phone.:D

Got your own snorkel & mask?

How many of you are there if you don't mind me asking??

No we don't have our own...I wasn't planning on buying one either