Bottled Water Ripoff

Curtw

That is 100% incorrect. It's not subjective. It has to do with comparison to real market prices.

In my state, price gouging is a specific crime, and can only be prosecuted if a natural or man-made disaster has occurred, cutting off supply lines, and the product being priced higher is an "essential" consumer good or service -Cal. Pen. Code § 396 So it has more than just a higher price as a necessary component to be considered price gouging.

Most state laws are similar; the "price gouge" has to be for an item you can't get otherwise, and the item has to essential. Since free alternatives to bottled water are available, NCL can't be thought of to be "price gouging" in any kind of legal sense. I prefer to call it a "rip off".

In my state, price gouging is a specific crime, and can only be prosecuted if a natural or man-made disaster has occurred, cutting off supply lines, and the product being priced higher is an "essential" consumer good or service -Cal. Pen. Code § 396 So it has more than just a higher price as a necessary component to be considered price gouging.

Most state laws are similar; the "price gouge" has to be for an item you can't get otherwise, and the item has to essential. Since free alternatives to bottled water are available, NCL can't be thought of to be "price gouging" in any kind of legal sense. I prefer to call it a "rip off".

I assume you imply a figurative rip-off rather than a literal rip-off, as the latter is surely defined outside these parameters by your state's penal code. Therefore, please accept that I also implied figurative price gouging. Literally, this is a PR / image issue for NCL, which I'm confident is also not a crime in your state.

So,,,, if you buy a case of water on the ship, the per-bottle cost is comparable to any convenience store price (7-11) for that same bottle of Aquifina. How is that a rip off. There is nothing that says it has to be the same price as a warehouse store like Costco. Maybe you need to get your facts straight.

So,,,, if you buy a case of water on the ship, the per-bottle cost is comparable to any convenience store price (7-11) for that same bottle of Aquifina. How is that a rip off. There is nothing that says it has to be the same price as a warehouse store like Costco. Maybe you need to get your facts straight.
Same would apply for items purchased at an airport, sporting event, hotel, on a plane, etc. Just because Costco sells something for $X, it doesn't mean that everyone has to sell it for that price. NCL has the right to price their items as they wish, just like every other business, and if folks don't like the price, they don't have to purchase the item, as no one is forcing them to buy it.

Same would apply for items purchased at an airport, sporting event, hotel, on a plane, etc. Just because Costco sells something for $X, it doesn't mean that everyone has to sell it for that price. NCL has the right to price their items as they wish, just like every other business, and if folks don't like the price, they don't have to purchase the item, as no one is forcing them to buy it.

How do these thoughts remotely relate to the suggestion that a $6+ bottle of water is a ripoff? Are you somehow endorsing that?

But the supermarket price is a "rip off" too, in the figurative sense that I believe the price is higher than the value I would receive when shopping there. So rather than saying NCL or my supermarket is "price gouging", which is a specific crime, I say they are a "rip off", which everyone knows is an opinion devoid of legal ramifications. And I pick up the cheaper bottle of water next to the 1 liter Aquafina. I can't do that on NCL. They have limited my choices in bottled water to very pricey brands.

Again,,, why would you try and compare anything you buy on a ship (or a land-based hotel for that matter) to a supermarket? It's like trying to compare the unit cost of a bottle of beer from a case bought at Costco to the price of a bottle of beer on the ship.

I think that anyone knows that if you buy a bottle of beer at hotel bar (and especially a floating bar), it will be much more expensive than buying it from a warehouse store. You're trying to compare apples to oranges and make a point that is simply illogical.

No, NCL will not sell you a bottle of anything cheaper than a warehouse store. They have to pay the cost of storing it on land, moving it to and loading it on the ship, fuel to move the extra weight of the products around the ocean, and having a bartender serve it to you. Each touch point incurs additional cost.

I never buy a water package. I drink their tap water. Fine for me, but I did buy a 1 liter bottle of water on 2 occasions on my last cruise when going ashore for a beach day, and I did, indeed, pay $6.00 for it. I'm sure the lower price one person posted is the price when you buy the package.

We brought empty reusable water bottles with filters (Brita is one brand but there are several... there are even ones that actually remove all dangerous bacteria, but more pricey) we used the ship's tap water to refill. Kept in fridge. Worked perfectly! = )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's annoying but we bought bottled water in port, some vendors even sell on the street for a $1. In Puerto Rico we popped into CVS and bought some there.

I guess it's understandable that they want to make $$ but I wish they had better water to offer for purchase. I only ever saw Aquafina, which I think is just from a public water source, which translates to tap? I'd buy a bottle of Fiji or Evian instead if they offered!

It's annoying but we bought bottled water in port, some vendors even sell on the street for a $1. In Puerto Rico we popped into CVS and bought some there.

I guess it's understandable that they want to make $$ but I wish they had better water to offer for purchase. I only ever saw Aquafina, which I think is just from a public water source, which translates to tap? I'd buy a bottle of Fiji or Evian instead if they offered!

Variety would be nice.

Yes, you have to pay if you purchase it aboard ship. However, you can get prior permission to bring some aboard.

Be sure you read the link ColinIllinois gives you in post #41 and follow that process since to bring water aboard for infant formula you must have prior permission from accessdesk@ncl.com

?

Does anyone know if 'medical conditions' includes diabetes? As a diabetic, I cannot drink soda, alcohol or much juice.

My understanding has always been that as a corporate decision they disapprove of bottled water. They believe their tap water is fine. And in order to further their belief yet accommodate those who insist. They make bottled water prohibitively expensive. So don't buy it. They don't want you too. However. I do think it would be a good idea to hand it out as we get off the ship in certain ports. They don't. And that is consistent with their bottled water practices.

My understanding has always been that as a corporate decision they disapprove of bottled water. They believe their tap water is fine. And in order to further their belief yet accommodate those who insist. They make bottled water prohibitively expensive. So don't buy it. They don't want you too. However. I do think it would be a good idea to hand it out as we get off the ship in certain ports. They don't. And that is consistent with their bottled water practices.

I hear ya, but they might consider the demographic they sell to. What percent of their market can they afford to displease?

?

Does anyone know if 'medical conditions' includes diabetes? As a diabetic, I cannot drink soda, alcohol or much juice.

I don't think that diabetes precludes you from consuming the filtered water at all of the ship's restaurants and bars (or even the water from your bathroom sink).

As I previously mentioned, I always drink the tap water onboard and only buy a 1 liter bottle when heading out to a beach day, etc. I paid around $6.00 per bottle. I was checking out the package prices and saw that a 6 pack of 1 liter bottles is just under $18, so I think I will order that precruise at that much better price and gave it waiting in my cabin. I certainly understand that I could buy a 1 liter bottle of water much cheaper at home, but I am on a cruise and I know that everything cost more when on vacation. I think I will encourage my kids to do the same, as we are traveling with 13 family members in January on the Getaway.:)

You're joking, right ?

As I previously mentioned, I always drink the tap water onboard and only buy a 1 liter bottle when heading out to a beach day, etc. I paid around $6.00 per bottle. I was checking out the package prices and saw that a 6 pack of 1 liter bottles is just under $18, so I think I will order that precruise at that much better price and gave it waiting in my cabin. I certainly understand that I could buy a 1 liter bottle of water much cheaper at home, but I am on a cruise and I know that everything cost more when on vacation. I think I will encourage my kids to do the same, as we are traveling with 13 family members in January on the Getaway.:)

I just bought a 12 pack today for my upcoming cruise. It was a little over 3 bucks a bottle. Yeah. It is expensive. But not ridiculous compared to the cost of a liter bottle in any convenience store really. And I will have the comfort of knowing I will have cold bottled water in the room at all times.

You're joking, right ?
No, not at all. And which part? the handing out bottles of water as we disembark on the islands? They claimed the noro virus came from public water in PR, wouldn't it be more economical to give us all bottles of water than have to deal with an outbreak shipboard? I am sure that was costly. Or the whole thing about not believing in bottled water usage? I do think that's true and it was Sheehan who pushed being less environmentally damaging. (I've been on other ships where you can't sit on your balcony due to soot. . . their bottled water is cheaper, BUT, their tap water doesn't taste as good).

Most of it but especially this.

"They make bottled water prohibitively expensive. So don't buy it. They don't want you too. "

At the current markup, I'm pretty sure they want to make the sell. No doubt, they have warehouse, handling, etc expenses, but the current water prices surely cover those costs and much more.

At the current markup, I'm pretty sure they want to make the sell. No doubt, they have warehouse, handling, etc expenses, but the current water prices surely cover those costs and much more.
Same can be said for convenience stores, airports, hotels, theatres, at sporting events, at concerts, etc. Nothing wrong with making a profit. If you don't want to spend the money, don't buy their water, drink water from the buffet.

I don't think your argument ... wait for it ... holds water.

At the new prices for buying pre-cruise it's "only" about 1.5 times the cost of the same 1 liter bottle of Aquafina in my local supermarket. That's a smaller margin than on beer, wine or mixed drinks. Would you then say that NCL Corporate doesn't like beer, wine or mixed drinks and therefore they don't want you to drink them?

The Aquafina 1 liter bottle is priced very high everywhere, for some unexplained reason. Maybe they intend that size to be for resorts, cruises, etc. where higher prices are in demand. It's a "rip off" in terms of the rest of the Aquafina line because that particular package, for some reason, is about twice the price per ml of the other sizes they sell.