Amsterdam Neptune Suites and Lido Overhang

3rdGenCunarder

We're thinking about a cruise on Amsterdam and I'm checking out locations of the Neptune suites. I'd appreciate hearing about past experiences.

I know a lot of them are under the pool areas and there's the possibility of chair noise on the bare floors. The Lido is carpeted and will be quieter, but what about the extra depth of the overhang? Does it make the room darker? Does it affect the scenic viewing in Alaska? I've only had a NS on the Vistas, and the corner afts feel very open, both to the side and the sky (partial cover on deck 7).

So my main question is, how different is the overhang under the Lido?

We're thinking about a cruise on Amsterdam and I'm checking out locations of the Neptune suites. I'd appreciate hearing about past experiences.

I know a lot of them are under the pool areas and there's the possibility of chair noise on the bare floors. The Lido is carpeted and will be quieter, but what about the extra depth of the overhang? Does it make the room darker? Does it affect the scenic viewing in Alaska? I've only had a NS on the Vistas, and the corner afts feel very open, both to the side and the sky (partial cover on deck 7).

So my main question is, how different is the overhang under the Lido?

From what I can see on the HAL Cruiser Info site, it looks like the overhang has an effect on viewing for the more aft Neptune Suites.

From what I can see on the HAL Cruiser Info site, it looks like the overhang has an effect on viewing for the more aft Neptune Suites.

That's the sense I got from looking at those pictures, too. I have to take a careful look at the deck plans. I think I saw a NS under Canaletto available on the cruise I'm thinking about.

That's the sense I got from looking at those pictures, too. I have to take a careful look at the deck plans. I think I saw a NS under Canaletto available on the cruise I'm thinking about.

That's what I was able to get on the Rotterdam.

To the best of my knowledge, the view should be fine.

We're sailing at the end of March. If it's of help, I can confirm for you once I am on board. Just remind me on my live thread and I will certainly report back ;)

I've got a SB booked on Rotterdam next year. I discussed the location with the PCC. She said it was likely to be less noisy than the SA further forward around the Neptune Lounge. The Lido is carpeted which reduces the noise and the pool area is not. She also said the overhang is only a viewing issue if one is looking at a steep upward angle. I've seen some complaints about viewing while cruising the Fjords in Norway for example. Not sure if it would be an issue glacier watching in Alaska.

The SB, there are four with two being handicapped, was $200 PP cheaper than the SA next door. I can walk another 20 feet for $200.

To be honest, we like cabins with full coverage balconies.

I've got a SB booked on Rotterdam next year. I discussed the location with the PCC. She said it was likely to be less noisy than the SA further forward around the Neptune Lounge. The Lido is carpeted which reduces the noise and the pool area is not. She also said the overhang is only a viewing issue if one is looking at a steep upward angle. I've seen some complaints about viewing while cruising the Fjords in Norway for example. Not sure if it would be an issue glacier watching in Alaska.

The SB, there are four with two being handicapped, was $200 PP cheaper than the SA next door. I can walk another 20 feet for $200.

To be honest, we like cabins with full coverage balconies.

We have been on one of the HAL ships with the overhang balcony and rather liked it. More shade and no negative issues that I can recall (we were cruising Alaska). I picked it due to the carpeted area of the Lido buffet being above it, rather than the pool area which can have some noises (not major IMO).

As to the SB category on the smaller HAL ships being less expensive, IMO HAL does this for "sales promotion" purposes. That way they can advertise a lower suite price but when you go to book it you find out that the SBs are normally only offered as a guarantee. So, if you want to select your cabin (most people do), you can but you have to pay more. I would take the SB on the these ships, as since there are only 2-4 of them you likely will be assigned an SA anyway, plus on these ships all of the Neptune cabins are in good locations (IMO).

We have been on one of the HAL ships with the overhang balcony and rather liked it. More shade and no negative issues that I can recall (we were cruising Alaska). I picked it due to the carpeted area of the Lido buffet being above it, rather than the pool area which can have some noises (not major IMO).

As to the SB category on the smaller HAL ships being less expensive, IMO HAL does this for "sales promotion" purposes. That way they can advertise a lower suite price but when you go to book it you find out that the SBs are normally only offered as a guarantee. So, if you want to select your cabin (most people do), you can but you have to pay more. I would take the SB on the these ships, as since there are only 2-4 of them you likely will be assigned an SA anyway, plus on these ships all of the Neptune cabins are in good locations (IMO).

Perhaps. My cruise on Rotterdam allows you to book the SB either as a guarantee or as a select your own cabin. The price is the same. I selected my own cabin and my invoice from HAL shows the cabin number I selected. I wanted a cabin under the overhang and there are only a few that are SA. I saw no reason to pay the extra $200 for an SA that was marginally closer to the Neptune Lounge. I had it marked no upgrade.

Perhaps. My cruise on Rotterdam allows you to book the SB either as a guarantee or as a select your own cabin. The price is the same. I selected my own cabin and my invoice from HAL shows the cabin number I selected. I wanted a cabin under the overhang and there are only a few that are SA. I saw no reason to pay the extra $200 for an SA that was marginally closer to the Neptune Lounge. I had it marked no upgrade.

Good idea to mark it "do not upgrade". I do this most of the time as well, as I spend time picking out my cabin and very often there are ones "above" it in ranking (according to HAL) that I would not trade for. Plus, if it was a HUGE upgrade (like to the Penthouse) they would offer it to me as an upsell first.

Good idea to mark it "do not upgrade". I do this most of the time as well, as I spend time picking out my cabin and very often there are ones "above" it in ranking (according to HAL) that I would not trade for. Plus, if it was a HUGE upgrade (like to the Penthouse) they would offer it to me as an upsell first.

YIKES, I didn't mark mine do not upgrade. But, since the NS are sold out on our cruise, I guess I am safe. If they want to upgrade us to the PS, I have no problem ;). Take note HAL, LOL :D

Is this upgrade without asking the cruiser's permission something that happens often? We are booked in SB 6060 on NA and I spent some time looking at a lot of different things and had good reason to select that cabin, I would not be happy if we were moved without being asked if we wanted to move. I'm not sure I would even want to move to the PS, I cruise with a friend and I think the PS bed is a single bed that can't be separated, not something we would be interested in. Had no idea you could or might need to specify "no upgrades". We don't sail until Sept, would it be a good idea to contact our TA and have it noted that we don't want to be "upgraded"?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is this upgrade without asking the cruiser's permission something that happens often? We are booked in SB 6060 on NA and I spent some time looking at a lot of different things and had good reason to select that cabin, I would not be happy if we were moved without being asked if we wanted to move. I'm not sure I would even want to move to the PS, I cruise with a friend and I think the PS bed is a single bed that can't be separated, not something we would be interested in. Had no idea you could or might need to specify "no upgrades". We don't sail until Sept, would it be a good idea to contact our TA and have it noted that we don't want to be "upgraded"?

Usually for the PS, it is offered on an upsell basis. (Offer to pay a reduced amount). In cases of upsells, you do know as you have to accept.

BUT HAL has the right to "upgrade" you. Doesn't happen often with suites, but it could.

If you like the cabin you have and don't want it changed, contact your TA and ask them to mark it "no upgrade".

I would contact my TA and have them mark your cruise "do not upgrade", as you could be moved up to an SA in a location you do not like as much. While it likely will not happen, it certainly could, so why chance it when all it takes is a simple call to address it.

As mentioned, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you would be upgraded for free to a Penthouse cabin, as first HAL will try to sell you (any many more passengers) on an upsell to this first.

Absolutely, positively have your TA mark your booking "Do Not Upgrade". This will reduce the chances of it happening to almost zero. Note I said "almost".

I once had my booking marked "Do Not Upgrade" and I was upgraded anyway. On the Prinsendam I was upgraded from an outside cabin to a veranda :), but I also went from a shower-only cabin to one with a tub with very high sides. :(

Thanks all for the advice, msg left for TA. Lol I didn't really think I would get the PS for free, just mentioning that it wouldn't even tempt me because of the one bed thing... although that tub on the balcony might make me willing to sleep on the couch![emoji14]

That's what I was able to get on the Rotterdam.

To the best of my knowledge, the view should be fine.

We're sailing at the end of March. If it's of help, I can confirm for you once I am on board. Just remind me on my live thread and I will certainly report back ;)

I'll watch for your thread. I just booked 7027 for Alaska. It didn't show up in the booking process, but I searched for the number and there it was!

I'll watch for your thread. I just booked 7027 for Alaska. It didn't show up in the booking process, but I searched for the number and there it was!

We are in 7025 - so I should be able to help :).