Queen's Grill dress code.

majortom10

41 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Curious on most ships today where the staff are better dressed than most of the passengers.  "Khakis" and "polo shirt" was what deck stewards wore on Oceania.... when we found 80 percent of the passengers were wearing the same at dinner (and more than a few with ball cap to boot), we stopped sailing with them after many trips. 

Khaki and polo shirt is fine if you're playing golf.  But wearing in the evening to a fine restaurant or bar... you disrespect the venue if nothing else. 

It really takes very little effort to dress up significantly better than that.

• Like 2

There is no question about it. Standards have dropped.

Even in QG (where we are at the moment on QM2), on an informal night, probably not more than 75% of men are wearing jackets. Some are wearing "trainers" instead of shoes.

Earlier, I was talking to a couple from Illinois, who, wanted a QG room but they were sold out, so they're PG. The reason they chose Cunard, was because it would give them a good reason to dress formally as it's not often in their town that the possibility arises nowadays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

Even in QG (where we are at the moment on QM2), on an informal night, probably not more than 75% of men are wearing jackets. Some are wearing "trainers" instead of shoes.

Earlier, I was talking to a couple from Illinois, who, wanted a QG room but they were sold out, so they're PG. The reason they chose Cunard, was because it would give them a good reason to dress formally as it's not often in their town that the possibility arises nowadays.

Fancy trainers/sneakers/tennis shoes are the rage now among male office workers, even wearing them while wearing a suit. Brownish casual shoes with a white band around the sole. To me it looks out of place. 
Hopefully just a fad. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NE John said:

Fancy trainers/sneakers/tennis shoes are the rage now among male office workers, even wearing them while wearing a suit. Brownish casual shoes with a white band around the sole. To me it looks out of place. 
Hopefully just a fad. 

Same in my office but rarely see a suit now.  I don’t think it’s a fad and that’s ok, suits will never be the norm for men in the office again.  I think Cunard can capitalize on this with a small fleet but eventually the younger generation will be the older. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Even in QG (where we are at the moment on QM2), on an informal night, probably not more than 75% of men are wearing jackets. Some are wearing "trainers" instead .

Not wearing a jacket is 100% in line with Cunard's dress code,  so Cunard do not see it as a drop in standards, just a change in the definition of smart attire. So there is no question  standards have changed, but dropped is a personal judgement and out of line with Cunard's view .

As to trainers, if they looked as if they had been used for a cross country run , then I'd agree standards have dropped. If they were fashionable shoes in the style of trainers, it's a sign of standards changing not dropping. 

No doubt many will disagree

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, NYCSev20 said:

Same in my office but rarely see a suit now.  I don’t think it’s a fad and that’s ok, suits will never be the norm for men in the office again.  I think Cunard can capitalize on this with a small fleet but eventually the younger generation will be the older. 

As a criminal defense attorney in court daily, I rarely see males not wearing a suit and tie.

18 hours ago, techteach said:

@SusieAV8R We’ve only cruised QG twice, once on a TA and once a 7-day NY - NY. DH always wore a suit, perhaps not always with a tie, but never would have thought to wear a polo to dinner even under a suit coat.

17 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I saw the occasional polo shirt under jacket [which is a step up for just a polo shirt, also worn which again, was a step up from a tee] worn around QV two/three weeks ago and that definitely was within the Cunard dress advisory

but

right or wrong and not having travelled QM2 other than short channel hops, I get the impression she is more dressy and so what you would call a dress shirt, with or without tie under the jacket, would be more suitable for non Gala nights.

Just be aware though, some of the advice given here will be very subjective. Follow the Cunard advisories for accuracy but also take in the fact QM2 is the flagship and does seem to veer on the less 'casual' side of dress of an evening.

Victoria and others who provided their thoughtful responses to my question about male attire:  thank you so much!!  DH and I were looking for a cruise line which had a  dress code similar to our definition of "smart attire" (after 6 p.m.)  We were delighted to learn that QM2 might even be a little "dressier" than her sister ships.😄

• Like 2

@SusieAV8R I want to warn you now…your luggage will increase exponentially. The long gowns, nice dresses, hand bags, scarves, not to mention Tux, extra shirts, braces, multiple ties, regular suit(s)…oh, and don’t forget the special shoes. Great fun, but be sure to look up Luggage Forward. Worth every penny to not schlep an extra suitcase. Start shopping today. It is never too early. Have Fun!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, techteach said:

@SusieAV8R I want to warn you now…your luggage will increase exponentially. The long gowns, nice dresses, hand bags, scarves, not to mention Tux, extra shirts, braces, multiple ties, regular suit(s)…oh, and don’t forget the special shoes. Great fun, but be sure to look up Luggage Forward. Worth every penny to not schlep an extra suitcase. Start shopping today. It is never too early. Have Fun!

tech teach, you are a real treat!  I have always taken it to heart "that I was born to shop".  😂  I took great delight in advising DH just now that I would need to bring those extra pairs of strappy heeled sandals to go with my dinner dresses 😇  But you also gave me some great advice.   Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

As a criminal defense attorney in court daily, I rarely see males not wearing a suit and tie.

We are mostly corporate and banking and finance but for sure a suit when in court but never in the office that I have seen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

Maybe that's the new dress code.

"Dress as if you are in front of a Jury"

We could have special orange themed nights "dress as if you've been convicted"

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Maybe that's the new dress code.

"Dress as if you are in front of a Jury"

We could have special orange themed nights "dress as if you've been convicted"

Now that made me grin, except orange washes me out so could I go trad. white/grey apparel, the ones  with all the arrows on?😄

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Now that made me grin, except orange washes me out so could I go trad. white/grey apparel, the ones  with all the arrows on?😄

No need to wait this would pass for black and white night, if it was charcoal grey😁

• Like 2