Can you wear casual clothes (jeans and t shirt/polo) on QM2?

BoiiMcFly

But whatever cruise we choose we will approach with a positive mindset and the excitement that is building up within me. It is time to overcome those irrational fears ;)

I totally understand the fears!! I recently went on my first Cunard cruise, I'm more used to freestyle dining. I'm 22 so probably not traditional a Cunard passenger but I still had a lot of fun.

The dress code did get annoying after a while, people like to take the mick out of me when I say that it was a surprise... but it really did surprise me! I knew they had formal nights but I didn't realise how ship wide the dress code was, how seriously people take it and that the informal nights are still REALLY formal!

If you want to have a look at what I wore/thought about the whole thing: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/08/cunard-dress-code-what-to-wear/

You will have a good time but please realise how seriously the cunarders take their dress code!! I love the Cunard ships and there are a lot of good points about sailing Cunard in my opinion :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually I think I have met more snobs on Princess - some of their Elites are right up there with the best and they don't miss an opportunity to point it out :eek:

Cunard is a much nicer experience :)

I'm quite oblivious to all that stuff like coloured seapass cards and what they mean. Clearly it means something to them as they flail them around so I just have a laugh at their failed attempts to impress me. The worst ones I saw were on Princess while waiting for embarkation in Sydney and they were the same group who complained when I got a wheelchair for my 85 year old mother to board at White Bay Sydney - that has the longest walk up and down to get to the ship.

At least the O.P. in the thread title, recognises that jeans and t-shirt or polo shirt are casual clothes. Some folk I've seen recently in quality land-based restaurants, seem to regard that as "dressing up".

As well as Cunard ships, we've noticed that when we sailed on P & O Aurora & Fred's Boudicca, there was an very high percentage of passengers who followed the dress code each night. It's good to see tuxes and evening dresses, no matter which ship you're on.

At least the O.P. in the thread title, recognises that jeans and t-shirt or polo shirt are casual clothes. Some folk I've seen recently in quality land-based restaurants, seem to regard that as "dressing up".

As well as Cunard ships, we've noticed that when we sailed on P & O Aurora & Fred's Boudicca, there was an very high percentage of passengers who followed the dress code each night. It's good to see tuxes and evening dresses, no matter which ship you're on.

I've just returned from a 35 night Oceana cruise and at a rough guess I'd say that the dress code was followed by in excess of 95% of passengers on the 7 formal nights.

Unfortunately the code isn't enforced in the theatre and the odd few not dressed correctly stood out like sore thumbs.

I totally understand the fears!! I recently went on my first Cunard cruise, I'm more used to freestyle dining. I'm 22 so probably not traditional a Cunard passenger but I still had a lot of fun.

The dress code did get annoying after a while, people like to take the mick out of me when I say that it was a surprise... but it really did surprise me! I knew they had formal nights but I didn't realise how ship wide the dress code was, how seriously people take it and that the informal nights are still REALLY formal!

If you want to have a look at what I wore/thought about the whole thing: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/08/cunard-dress-code-what-to-wear/

You will have a good time but please realise how seriously the cunarders take their dress code!! I love the Cunard ships and there are a lot of good points about sailing Cunard in my opinion :)

Thanks for your helpful post Eleteace! Yeah we figured the dress code would be quite strict, which is why we are planning and shopping in advance. We definitely want to check out RC and Norwegian ships with their freestyle dining options and entertainment, but how can we pass up a cruise on the famous Queen Mary. What did you like the most about your voyage on Cunard?

Thanks for your helpful post Eleteace! Yeah we figured the dress code would be quite strict, which is why we are planning and shopping in advance. We definitely want to check out RC and Norwegian ships with their freestyle dining options and entertainment, but how can we pass up a cruise on the famous Queen Mary. What did you like the most about your voyage on Cunard?

I loved afternoon tea! The whole vibe of the ship (I was on the Queen Victoria) was really relaxing and quiet, I couldn't get over how quiet the ship was...

Every other cruise ship I've been on has been so busy compared to Cunard. Other ships seem full and compared with gimics where are Cunard really is about relaxing:?

Also try the free room service!! I loved that. Yum yum.

Also also, too much to write in this box ha ha... http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/06/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard-2/ here's some more stuff which I liked about Cunard.

(Is your username mcfly like, the band? Or back to the future? Or just the name... Haha) :-)

I loved afternoon tea! The whole vibe of the ship (I was on the Queen Victoria) was really relaxing and quiet, I couldn't get over how quiet the ship was...

Every other cruise ship I've been on has been so busy compared to Cunard. Other ships seem full and compared with gimics where are Cunard really is about relaxing:?

Also try the free room service!! I loved that. Yum yum.

Also also, too much to write in this box ha ha... http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/06/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard-2/ here's some more stuff which I liked about Cunard.

(Is your username mcfly like, the band? Or back to the future? Or just the name... Haha) :-)

Yeah just from looking at videos it seems like the common areas are spread out nicely and have less crowding than other ships. We will definitely try out the room service more than once, gotta love room service! Your blog is very cool and I will definitely read up some more later, you've been on several ships that interest us.

And BoiiMcFly is actually my stage name. It was inspired by Back to the Future since that is my all time favorite movie :D

....BTW, for those who say to casual dress passengers should just take another cruise...that isn't really an option if you need the QM2 for transatlantic transportation during certain timeframes. For medical reasons I can't fly, and would love to take a repositioning cruise to Europe. Repositioning cruises are only one-way, and I can't afford to live in Europe or the UK for 4 months waiting for a return cruise. The QM2 is the only non-flight transportation other than freighter ships that I have been able to find. And the latter don't offer passages at the appropriate time, nor from the UK to US in May.

My goal is a repositioning cruise to get to the UK, spend a few weeks traveling in the UK, and then return to the US on the QM2. However, I am not comfortable in formal attire (and really don't want to buy any to transport around for 5-6 weeks just for limited use on the QM2).

Cunard to the rescue otherwise it would appear you'd never get to Europe.

Just returned from another superb trip on the QM2. We sailed to and from New York and am pleased to say that the vast majority of people adhered to the dress code. The middle portion of our holiday was on the NCL Breakaway (!) and I have to report that I was pleasantly surprised at the dress attire during the day. I saw none of the so called 'wife beaters' and most people were appropriately clothed for the time of day. What I didn't like was people coming into the MDR in an evening in the same clothes they would wear during the day. It's not too hard to at least make a little effort with a smarter pair of trousers/skirt, is it.

New Year's Eve even brought out some dinner suits and ball gowns.

However, returning to the QM2 for our journey home was like a breath of fresh air :D

There is something so special when the witching hour of 6 pm arrives and everyone changes into their finery.

Just returned from another superb trip on the QM2. We sailed to and from New York and am pleased to say that the vast majority of people adhered to the dress code. The middle portion of our holiday was on the NCL Breakaway (!) and I have to report that I was pleasantly surprised at the dress attire during the day. I saw none of the so called 'wife beaters' and most people were appropriately clothed for the time of day. What I didn't like was people coming into the MDR in an evening in the same clothes they would wear during the day. It's not too hard to at least make a little effort with a smarter pair of trousers/skirt, is it.

New Year's Eve even brought out some dinner suits and ball gowns.

However, returning to the QM2 for our journey home was like a breath of fresh air :D

There is something so special when the witching hour of 6 pm arrives and everyone changes into their finery.

Excellent report.

I know what you mean.

Cunard to the rescue otherwise it would appear you'd never get to Europe.

Pretty much...although I have since found some freighter crossings over both the Atlantic and the Pacific. They are not timely for when we want to cross this time, so it will be Cunard and the QM2. With a jacket for the evenings and the buffet on formal nights. Should be a fun time.

One of these days though I may check out a freighter. Per day they are half the price of normal cruises, however they take twice as long (or more) to get to their destinations. Instead of paying a bit of a premium to travel in luxury, you are paying for solitude. Perhaps in the Great Lakes or something as a test run. Certainly not posh, quite the opposite. However, it would be interesting to see a working ship up close. As a bonus, it should be a very relaxing time to read, write, and draw. Freighters take up to a dozen passengers. The cabins are actually fairly large by cruise line standards. The food would be fuel for the body, not entertaining. But we generally like new life experiences, so this may go on the short list for some future travel as well.