Upgrading a drink package from a TA

• 1 year later...

I’d say it never hurts to ask onboard. If you buy a higher package explain that having two packages that cover sodas makes no sense and ask for an OBC for the value of the soda package. Just because it was free to you doesn’t mean it is without value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you can upgrade from the refreshment package either.

I've not read any reports lately, but you used to be able to upgrade for the difference in price, as long as the package had been purchased and was not a free perk.

I’d say it never hurts to ask onboard. If you buy a higher package explain that having two packages that cover sodas makes no sense and ask for an OBC for the value of the soda package. Just because it was free to you doesn’t mean it is without value.

There have been numerous reports of people who have asked on board and the answer has always been the same. No upgrades or OBC. Right up there with popcorn at the movies soda from a fountain has one of the highest markups of any product. That $10 a day soda package is costing them pennies.

This is something that needs to be taken up with the TA. The cruise line owes nothing. Either ask the TA to allow a paid upgrade or substitute OBC. Doubt the TA paid the going rate for the soda package so getting OBC instead might be difficult.

There have been numerous reports of people who have asked on board and the answer has always been the same. No upgrades or OBC. Right up there with popcorn at the movies soda from a fountain has one of the highest markups of any product. That $10 a day soda package is costing them pennies.

My point is still the same. You can blindly trust internet wisdom and never even try or you can spend a few minutes, talk to a human onboard, and see what happens. Literally the worst thing that can happen is they tell you no and you go on with your vacation having lost nothing more than a few minutes. Maybe you get someone especially nice and they give you a drink coupon or two as a concession.

As Michael Jordan said, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

My point is still the same. You can blindly trust internet wisdom and never even try or you can spend a few minutes, talk to a human onboard, and see what happens. Literally the worst thing that can happen is they tell you no and you go on with your vacation having lost nothing more than a few minutes. Maybe you get someone especially nice and they give you a drink coupon or two as a concession.

you are so right, every time I've ever asked about something , no matter the outcome, I was still glad I asked. And I mean that in general not just rcl.

Or when you know the outcome you can get on with your vacation and not waste time at guest services.

I guess I’m a little more selective in how I spend my time knowing in advance that not only does Royal state that there are no substitutions/upgrades on the complimentary soda packages but also many first hand reports of the same thing.

Even Michael Jordan is smart enough to realize that throwing Hail Mary’s from the opponents endzone isn’t a wise use of his skills or time.