Shuttle Service in Marseille

WayneFougere

We'll be in Marseille on April 14, 2017 (8am-5pm). I'm curious about shuttle service between the Port and Le Vieux Port or some other reasonable location in town.

From what I've heard, there has always been shuttle service between the Port and Marseille in the past; but understandably, no individual is able to give specifics on the shuttle service that might be offered on an upcoming cruise.

I called the HAL excursions line and asked for information about shuttle service from the ship to Le Vieux Port (which seems to be a considerable distance from the ship). Unfortunately, the booking department wasn't helpful at all. The person I spoke to told me that I would need to ask when I got on the ship.

I find this terribly inconvenient as I'd like to plan some specific activities in Marseille that require understanding transportation options now. To do what I want to do, I really need to know if shuttle service is available at all, where the pickup and drop off place is, when it leaves the ship, at what intervals, and when the last shuttle returns back to the ship. Is anyone aware of a person I can contact at HAL who can answer these questions?

If I find no shuttle service is available, I'll need to make other arrangements to get to town.72f6e128543cb2fe8b11b1e441be1bb6.jpg

Regards,

Wayne

Usual procedure at this port is to walk about 250 meters from your cruise ship to the free port shuttle.

It will take you down to the drop of point, where you can walk, take the tram, or the bus. There are also

posts on cruise critic that talk about walking about 500 meters to the roadway where you can catch the local bus. Check the French boards. We did this last April, and the port operated a free shuttle, the cruise ship also offered

a pay shuttle. It took you to the same drop of place as the free shuttle.

I really suggest you have a look at the info on the Ports of Call boards here, much more specific information is available than generally found on the cruiseline specific boards.

There is a free port shuttle in Marseille that runs from 9 am at 30 minute intervals. Finding it can be a bit confusing (not helped because taxi drivers don't like having the competition), but if you read the last page or two of this thread for the most recent info, it may be helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1861134&highlight=shuttle+Marseille&page=5

Edited to add: There's also a local bus, #35, that could be used as an alternate.

I really suggest you have a look at the info on the Ports of Call boards here, much more specific information is available than generally found on the cruiseline specific boards.
I'll look; but, what I was REALLY hoping/asking for was confirmation that HAL provided shuttle service (paid or otherwise). Has anyone actually ever been to Marseille on a Holland America shuttle or has the shuttle service always only been supplied by third parties?

There is a free port shuttle in Marseille that runs from 9 am at 30 minute intervals. Finding it can be a bit confusing (not helped because taxi drivers don't like having the competition)

There's also a local bus, #35

I saw Bus 35 on http://map.rtm.fr/map.html but like other local options, including taxis and especially a free shuttle (which I can't find any official website for, though I expect there must be one), I'd rather compete with other Rotterdam passengers for transport rather than the majority of the 5,650 other passengers in port that day (if I can help it). I'd happily pay for a transfer from the ship to town and back again if it were available.

Regards,

Wayne

The last time I was in Marseille (2014), the local port authority did provide a complimentary shuttle bus that took you from the port to a stop very close (one walking block) to the vieux port and the big ferris wheel

I've tried to find the shuttle info on the port authorities website but every time I enter http://www.marseille-port.fr I get an error message. On the other hand, while not official or necessarily current, I did find http://www.marvellous-provence.com/travel/water/marseille-cruise-ship-port which states:

"It's too far to walk to the Old Port, especially if time is limited. In addition, the route will take you along a busy road and so it's not a particularly attractive one.

If you want to avoid paying for the cruise shuttle or a taxi into Marseille, the only public transport option is bus no.35 which leaves from in front of Gate 4, the entrance to the Môle Léon Gourret. It will take you to Joliette, from where you can catch a tram (line T2 or T3), bus or metro (line 2) to all points within the city centre.

However in 2013 the Port of Marseille (GPMM) introduced a free shuttle bus exclusively for cruise tourists. It runs roughly every half hour between the Môle Léon Gourret and Joliette station."

Getting to the T3 line is exactly what I want, so this will work; but, the online comments about the free shuttle isn't exactly confident in its continual existence. Maybe the port authority's website will be up and running next time I look and this information will be easy to find. Then again, maybe not.

Regards,

Wayne

I understand your concerns, but keep in mind that a large majority of the other passengers are going to be taking off on big bus tours or on private tours for sightseeing in other nearby places.

Yes, I understand many will be boarding excursions. I'm just trying to determine exactly what's needed to get where I want to go and then back to the ship on time. For example, if I decide to take Bus 35 then T3 then Bus 21 to get to my first destination, I'd like to know how much cash/change to carry. I'm pretty certain the info is on http://m.rtm.fr/menuversionmobile and I expect I'll eventually figure it out.

The more specific info I can get the better; but then again, perhaps I'm just a bit too persnickety [emoji6]

Regards,

Wayne

Yes, I understand many will be boarding excursions. I'm just trying to determine exactly what's needed to get where I want to go and then back to the ship on time. For example, if I decide to take Bus 35 then T3 then Bus 21 to get to my first destination, I'd like to know how much cash/change to carry. I'm pretty certain the info is on http://m.rtm.fr/menuversionmobile and I expect I'll eventually figure it out.

The more specific info I can get the better; but then again, perhaps I'm just a bit too persnickety [emoji6]

Regards,

Wayne

Last time we were there, HAL offered a transfer. I forget the cost but 15 euros rings a bell for round trip. You can walk for the free shuttle and the drop off point was the same.

You'll find it well identified on tomsportguides.com. (On our spreadsheet for our roll call)

I don't know what will happen in April but I am guessing that it will be the same. ;).

You can't plan positively or perfectly for any cruise. Ports can change, drop off points can change, etc. So, flexibility is key :)

You can't plan positively or perfectly for any cruise. Ports can change, drop off points can change, etc. So, flexibility is key :)
I agree; but, I prefer to plan first and then improvise after I get there. I'd also like to estimate if I've got enough time to do what I want. Using the Marseille transit website, it appears I can get everywhere I want but the timing looks a little tight to fit in both places (tho I wish they had a way of forcing above ground transit so we can see the sights while in transit). I'd like to use a HAL shuttle (if available) and I may need to use a taxi for part of it.6efd9f6c11635bdc37ca21bd76141bb0.jpg

Regards,

Wayne

Why not just grab a cab at the port? Cabs and private tour guides are just outside the gated area.

Agree. We did just that last time to meet the Marseille Greeters private tour we had. Cost was pretty reasonable and we were gone long before the shuttles started.

There can be a line up for the shuttles, buses, etc. And if time is precious and worth what you want to see, it's worth a cab cost IMO.

Wayne, if you opted for that, you could find out the location of the return shuttle if you want to use it on board ;)

Why not just grab a cab at the port? Cabs and private tour guides are just outside the gated area.
Thats a perfectly reasonable suggestion and is definitely one of my options. It's just not my preference at the moment. Come April 14th, a cab may be the best solution.

Regards,

Wayne

There can be a line up for the shuttles, buses, etc. And if time is precious and worth what you want to see, it's worth a cab cost IMO.

Wayne, if you opted for that, you could find out the location of the return shuttle if you want to use it on board ;)

Since I'd like to get to Cité radieuse de Marseille to see Le Corbusier's building from the outside before it opens up at 10am, a cab may work and get us there the quickest and at a reasonable rate UNLESS THERE'S TRAFFIC CHAOS.

At this point, I have a good idea how to get there several ways and I'll make the decision that morning.940d40bc426912a178af96a86bba52ec.jpg

Regards,

Wayne

Last time we were there, HAL offered a transfer.

This is what interests me the most: HAL has offered shuttles before; but, those involved with shore excursions know NOTHING about the service (actually, the person wasn't extremely knowledgeable with the 3 excursions I did order). Surely someone at the company knows who makes these decisions and why. I guess it will remain a mystery.

Regards,

Wayne

This is what interests me the most: HAL has offered shuttles before; but, those involved with shore excursions know NOTHING about the service (actually, the person wasn't extremely knowledgeable with the 3 excursions I did order). Surely someone at the company knows who makes these decisions and why. I guess it will remain a mystery.

Regards,

Wayne

People in shore excursions only know about shore excursions in my experience.

I believe shuttle arrangements are confirmed on board as they are nearing the port. shuttles are normally the same spot but need to be confirmed.

They will have information on board. The person who speaks about the ports will have it. Usually advises at his/her lectures and is available for certain hours in the day for one on one questions too.

We we were in Marseille in October on NCL and used the NCL arranged shuttles at a cost. We both agreed that if we were ever in Marseille again we would grab a cab instead. We worked out it would be slightly cheaper and even more so if we took another couple. It would have also offered us a bit more flexibility with time etc. We had long waits for the shuttle etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe shuttle arrangements are confirmed on board as they are nearing the port. shuttles are normally the same spot but need to be confirmed.
That just seems so strange to me. I'd be curious to know how they make the decision and why but trust I'll never understand. I can only guess (because I have nothing better to do with my time at the moment) that they wait to see if everyone is taking a HAL excursion first.

They will have information on board. The person who speaks about the ports will have it. Usually advises at his/her lectures and is available for certain hours in the day for one on one questions too.
Never have sat through any of those lectures because I've usually planned out all our excursions before we leave home. I guess the mystery will be solved soon enough as it's 60 days and counting before embarkment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We we were in Marseille in October on NCL and used the NCL arranged shuttles at a cost. We both agreed that if we were ever in Marseille again we would grab a cab instead. We worked out it would be slightly cheaper and even more so if we took another couple. It would have also offered us a bit more flexibility with time etc. We had long waits for the shuttle etc.
Good to know. I guess cab prices will depend on rush hour traffic (which I assume might be pretty quiet on Good Friday morning). I'm leaning toward busing or cabbing to the closest T3 tram line (which I'm curious to try and gets us most of the way to Cité radieuse.

That just seems so strange to me. I'd be curious to know how they make the decision and why but trust I'll never understand. I can only guess (because I have nothing better to do with my time at the moment) that they wait to see if everyone is taking a HAL excursion first.

I'm sure you're quite right in that the ships never really promote options that help passengers sightsee "on their own" when they could potentially sell you an excursion. HAL isn't as bad as some lines, however.

People at HAL headquarters really are not the most dependable sources for specific information on visas, shore excursion details, shuttles, and even some basic questions about life onboard ship. Often those manning the phones have never been on one of the ships nor do they have any specifics about "ground operations" in the ports.

Just don't do what we did which was follow a group of passengers we assumed were also looking/walking to the free shuttle and instead ended up boarding a Russian Speaking Tour Bus where we were immediately discovered and made to get off. Talk about being embarrassed! LOL

Just don't do what we did which was follow a group of passengers we assumed were also looking/walking to the free shuttle and instead ended up boarding a Russian Speaking Tour Bus where we were immediately discovered and made to get off. Talk about being embarrassed! LOL

That's funny. Did you finally find the shuttle? How did you eventually get to town?

I was in Marseilles in October and used the free port shuttle. (Carnival Vista) Followed the pedestrian line to the pick up point. It was not advertised by the cruise line but had used it before. As you exit the terminal there is a tourist info desk and they showed us on a map how to get to the metro. The bus ran every 30 minutes.

However not sure if it will run on Good Friday as that will be a holiday. I will also be arriving that day on the Costa Favolosa.

The bus dropped off at Joliette , walked across the square to the metro station. From there caught the metro to St. Charles station (2 stops). (About 3.60 E return) At St Charles caught the bus to Aix-en Provence for 10 euro return, ran every 10 minutes or so.

That's funny. Did you finally find the shuttle? How did you eventually get to town?

We never found the shuttle. Luckily, we were able to spot a taxi that took us into town. Marseille was a very confusing port for us. We got lost several times and not knowing the language was very difficult.

However not sure if it will run on Good Friday as that will be a holiday. I will also be arriving that day on the Costa Favolosa.

The bus dropped off at Joliette , walked across the square to the metro station. From there caught the metro to St. Charles station (2 stops). (About 3.60 E return) At St Charles caught the bus to Aix-en Provence for 10 euro return, ran every 10 minutes or so.

It appears your ship arrives earlier and stays later than the Rotterdam. I'm planning on boarding the T3 line at the Cours Saint-Louis station and transferring to Bus 21 at Castellane in order to get to Cité Radieuse as earlier as possible and then reverse the trip part of the way in order to get to MuCEM. Deciding how to get to the T3 line will depend on how busy everything is. I'm fine with taking the 35 bus or the shuttle or a taxi (whichever is the quickest to access).

http://www.rtm.fr/en/travellers-guide/buy-tickets/occasional-travel

I'd prefer to get a day transit pass but it looks like I'll need to purchase individual tickets instead. From what I've seen it's not possible to get the 24hr City Pass (transit and museums) without visiting their 11 La Canebière Office de Tourisme (which I won't be close enough to until later in the day ... if I follow my plans).

When you buy tickets on a bus or at a station, do you need the exact change or do they have any cashless options?

Regards,

Wayne